eTap Rear Derailleur seems dead

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

perwjensen

by perwjensen

caballero wrote:Death to electro groups ! I'd not ride electric groups even if the cost was less than mechanical. I've seen far too many issues with them that are non existent with mechanical.

Cables. For people who like riding their bike(s)

Hmmm. I understand your point to some degree. But, since past year I ride in a group and have now seen two people have their brighter fail (Ultregra). They both aid that it had happened to them before. while this is purely anecdotal, I'm not so sure mechanical is all that everlasting.

wootenlakeguy

by wootenlakeguy

SL1;

Thanks for the suggestions on how to use a broken RD cable to position the RD where necessary to continue homeward. If I had known that at the time, it would have saved a lot of time and walking.

As for the rest of the comments about recognizing RD derailleur cable failure, they don't apply. For background, I had been using the complete Dura Ace 9000 mechanical gruppo for about 2000 miles. This included the newer 9001 shifters with the supposed improved shifter cable routing. However, because of the required internal routing of the cables through a TTT Aeronova handle bar, my shifting was always somewhat compromised. After struggling for a few months trying to get it dialed in, the first Shimano Dura Ace RD cable broke. I was disappointed with only a 1500 mile service life.

After reading about similar issues on WW, I tried another high end cable ( Gore Pro series) hoping for more longevity. Again the shifting was less than desired, but I was expecting at least better longevity.

The ride where the second cable broke occurred with only 700 miles on the new Gore cable so I wasn't worried about a broken RD cable. Additionally the ride was actually 126 miles when the cable broke with 48 miles remaining. Since the shifting performance was never good to begin with, I didn't notice degradation during the ride.

However, after going through two RD shifter cables in about 2500 miles, I decided I'd had enough of mechanical systems at which point I switched to E-Tap. What a revelation!
Not only is the installation straight forward and the adjustment easy, but the shifting worked flawlessly from the outset. I could reliably shift either up or down the cogs without hesitation or the fear of ghost or double shifts. It was also marvelous to be able to shift without backing off. My average speed and power output surged more than 5% from the simple expedient of being able to shift reliably whenever appropriate.

So, back to my original point. I'm thrilled with the performance of E-Tap and as long as SRAM honors their two year warranty, I'm a happy early adopter. With all the trouble I experienced with the supposedly great shifting Dura Ace 9000 gruppo and lack of durability with their shifter cables and cassettes, I know I'll never go back to mechanical.

To make another point, I now gladly carry a spare battery in my jersey pocket. I know I can switch the FD and RD battery if necessary, but since a spare battery only weighs 24 grams, has a volume of less than one cubic inch and pops into the RD in a few seconds, it provides peace of mind. It's certainly lighter and smaller than a spare RD cable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Mini-update: spoke to the retailer this morning. Could take two weeks to get a replacement. Waiting on them sending out a returns authorisation at the moment.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Shrike wrote:Mini-update: spoke to the retailer this morning. Could take two weeks to get a replacement. Waiting on them sending out a returns authorisation at the moment.

Is it just me or is this poor customer service?

I would have thought that SRAM would be so embarrassed that their flagship new product has failed prematurely that they would send a new one out immediately.

2 weeks without your bike isn't so bad in winter, but in summer, with race calendars, etc. that would really suck.

Shrike

by Shrike

@cyclespeed Retailer said that there aren't parts around at the moment, though maybe they will have some pieces for warranty. I was kind of thinking like you. That maybe they'd send out a new part to the retailer right away and he'd ship it to me next day as they were waiting for my dodgy one to arrive to them. Like how Apple do here in the UK (though they charge your card if your part doesn't arrive, which is fair).

Think I was dreaming though :D

Marin

by Marin

Plus, with eTap, it's not like you can temporarily get a 25$ derailleur for the next few rides that works exactly the same.

Same thing when you damage the thing yourself BTW - there's only 1 replacement: The original.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

wootenlakeguy wrote:...However, because of the required internal routing of the cables through a TTT Aeronova handle bar, my shifting was always somewhat compromised.
However, after going through two RD shifter cables in about 2500 miles, I decided I'd had enough of mechanical systems at which point I switched to E-Tap. What a revelation!
Not only is the installation straight forward and the adjustment easy, but the shifting worked flawlessly from the outset. I could reliably shift either up or down the cogs without hesitation or the fear of ghost or double shifts. It was also marvelous to be able to shift without backing off. My average speed and power output surged more than 5% from the simple expedient of being able to shift reliably whenever appropriate.

So, back to my original point. I'm thrilled with the performance of E-Tap and as long as SRAM honors their two year warranty, I'm a happy early adopter. With all the trouble I experienced with the supposedly great shifting Dura Ace 9000 gruppo and lack of durability with their shifter cables and cassettes, I know I'll never go back to mechanical.

To make another point, I now gladly carry a spare battery in my jersey pocket. I know I can switch the FD and RD battery if necessary, but since a spare battery only weighs 24 grams, has a volume of less than one cubic inch and pops into the RD in a few seconds, it provides peace of mind. It's certainly lighter and smaller than a spare RD cable.

Points taken @wootenlakeguy.... there are certainly times when electric (be it wireless or wired) is going to have its place for sure. In fact, I won't even build mechanical using a bar with internal routing if the bends are so tight and convoluted that it would compromise mechanical shifting. Or, I will just bypass the internal bar routing altogether. And yes, initial setup and getting things to "work as they should", is generally easier with electric it seems, particularly for less experienced installers. And for tt bikes, absolutely electric shifting, and wireless in particular saves a whole lot of setup hassles as well as providing for the placement of satellite shift positions. So yes, there are times when it's a great option. No question. The biggest trade offs seem to come when something just stops working as is the case here.
Apologies for the derailment. Hope the OP can get his bike back on the road asap and that down the road replacement parts become more readily available.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Shrike wrote:@cyclespeed Retailer said that there aren't parts around at the moment, though maybe they will have some pieces for warranty. I was kind of thinking like you. That maybe they'd send out a new part to the retailer right away and he'd ship it to me next day as they were waiting for my dodgy one to arrive to them. Like how Apple do here in the UK (though they charge your card if your part doesn't arrive, which is fair).

Think I was dreaming though :D

Wow, seriously?! 'No parts around at the moment' !

So one of the largest bicycle companies in the world no longer has anymore of it's flagship Etap product to sell / warranty?!

I think your Apple-Esque theory is totally fair enough, why wouldn't they do that? Fair and efficient system that keeps the customer happy. Seems to be a big lack of that last part in cycling these days......

I think you should make some more noise!

wootenlakeguy

by wootenlakeguy

After following this thread people might come away with the false impression that E-Tap components aren't available or at least in short supply. Although E-Tap components might not be available in your LBS because they're too expensive to keep in inventory, they're certainly available. In my recent experience with a defective RD, the replacement was a brand new unit in the full elaborate retail packaging which indicated that it had been produced during the week of December 12-16, 2016. You could make the argument that if anyone had SRAM components, it would be the SRAM distributor in Chicago, but if you check E-Bay you'll notice many many dozens of new E-Tap components including the full upgrade kit are readily available. Furthermore, they're usually priced far less than retail or even what I paid in Nov. 2016. That wouldn't be the case if they were in short supply.

I also understand how this thread could lead one to believe that SRAM aren't very responsive with customer service. With my recent claim, that certainly wasn't the case. No, they weren't as responsive as Apple, but given the circumstances, they resolved my issue as quickly as could be expected. The following applies: MY RD failed during an afternoon ride on Monday December 5th, 2016. Since I live in the Pacific Northwest, by the time I finally got home it was already too late to call Chicago during business hours. Consequently, I called SRAM Tuesday morning and after conferring with their technical support department, was told me to take the failed RD to my LBS. Since that's a 70 mile round trip, I waited until Wednesday morning when I could combine the trip with other business.

After leaving the defective RD with the LBS, I was called the next morning and told that my RD was indeed dead and would have to be shipped back to Chicago for repair/replacement. They had also verified with SRAM that this would be done under warranty at no cost. The RD was packaged by the LBS and went out with the mail on Thursday afternoon Dec. 8th.

Chicago received the failed part on Monday Dec. 12. After analysis they posted the new replacement RD on Tuesday Dec. 13th and it arrived at my LBS on the afternoon of Dec. 16th.

So, it did indeed take 12 days for me to receive my new and free replacement RD. However, please note that six of these days were transit time and two of the days were to make the long round trip to my LBS more convenient.

As someone mentioned, this would be intolerable during prime biking season, but certainly not a factor this time of year where I live. As for me, to resolve this issue, I'm so enamored with E-Tap that I intend retrofitting a second bike. That will give me the ability to swap from one bike to another after the simple expedient of re-pairing which takes less than
one minute.

That's certainly better than the last time I had to replace a failed RD cable which took the better part of two hours to get the cable strung internally through my 3T Aeronova handlebars and my Scott SL Addict, also with internal cable routing.

It's also extremely gratifying to have the shifting dialed in almost immediately and permanently with E-Tap as opposed to struggling incessantly with mechanical.

To each their own.

Shrike

by Shrike

@wooten

I'm in the UK, not the US. They will have different supply. SRAM is not easy to get hold of over here, most places were out of stock until about a week ago, just a handful of full groupsets in the country. WIFLi ever rarer due to the recall for the rear derailleur.

Anyway, didn't get so much as an email reply or promised returns authorisation yet. Today's a new day, hopefully some movement.

wootenlakeguy

by wootenlakeguy

Shrike;

Sorry, I tend to be too US centric with my comments. I actually spent four years in the UK back in the late 80's and was a member of both the Hillingdon and Uxbride cycling clubs. While there, cycling activity was so intense that I often raced four times per week with evening time trials on Tuesdays and Thursdays, a long time trial on Saturday and a crit on Sunday. Good times!

Knowing the UK cycling scene, I understand why you're concerned about the supply of E-Tap components.

Why not get what you need from a US supplier? As an example, there are currently well more than 200 new E-Tap components or group sets just on E-bay. In fact, the complete upgrade kit has sold recently for as little as $1,225 including shipping even though the retail cost is $1,660. There are also numerous examples of the E-Tap wifli RD with either medium or long cage available although they tend to sell at near the full retail price of $600 US.

Good luck with your search.

Shrike

by Shrike

@wooten no worries, it is a mostly US site :P

figured I'd give the retailer until the end of today to formulate some sort of update or start the returns process. If not then.. dunno, maybe just ship the part back to him, tracked, off my own volition. Or SRAM themselves in the UK. They have no contact number, it's a bit of a secret apparently as they don't want contact with customers :D

jekyll man

by jekyll man

They arent going to send out replacement parts willy nilly, unless they are sure that the original was fitted correctly, and not user error.

You deal with who you dealt with in the supply chain, ie wiggle etc, and thats who deals with the sram importer.
It keeps a sensible 2way of ins and outs for them instead of parts and queries from everywhere.

Of course, they could see what rep Shrike has on here for being unlucky with parts and are black balling you :wink:

Only joking :beerchug:
Official cafe stop tester

micky

by micky

caballero wrote:Death to electro groups !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Got the returns number, will post direct to them in the morning. :)

Any bets on how long it takes to get it back 8)