Canyon Ultimate EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

andylav wrote:Would definitely be interested in one of the framesets if you weren't forced to buy the aero cockpit (ergonomics and fit don't work for me) and the V.2 VCLS seatpost (too springy).

A choice of a normal VCLS seatpost and stem only, as the framesets used to be supplied before last year, and I would be replacing my current CF SL.

Unfortunately not an option though, as confirmed with Canyon directly.

You can replace it with third party components of your choice, right? You might need a new headset and a 1 1/4 stem and you're done...

spartan wrote:msrp for the frameset Mexico USD is $2969 holy F*****
resale value of cervelo RCA owners just went ....
when the enter the US market Q3 2017 what will specialized/trek/cannondale do?

Well I'm pretty sure they shitted their pants a little bit more now. But don't forget that you pay extra for shipping/handling and the US price probably will be less attractive. That puts the price closer to cannondale himod frameset (priced at $3500 + tax this year) with lifetime warranty.

I'm sure canyon will struggle with the overwhelming demand during the first year(s). If they can cut out a big enough chunk from the market, you can be sure that manufacturers will jump on the direct sales model. Trek already started the transition by selling directly through their website. And I'd be surprised if specialized wasn't working like crazy on this too. In theory direct sales and using the partner bike shops for assembling makes sense. It makes the customer experience better for the majority of the market.

BUT good quality combined with insanely low price is king. A lot of people won't pay 30% more for slightly better warranty and 15-minute assembly. If canyon fixes the stock, shipping and customer service issues, the other manufacturers will either sell dramatically less bikes or they have to cut out the LBS from the chain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

one more advantage of direct sales. no state tax. save $$$$ on a 5-10k superbike.

giant is the only company that can come close to match canyon at the retail price.

specialized believes they are a premium brand. can price higher :unbelievable:
looking at the latest design failures roubaix/venge i think not..
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Allen254

by Allen254

spartan wrote:one more advantage of direct sales. no state tax. save $$$$ on a 5-10k superbike.

giant is the only company that can come close to match canyon at the retail price.

specialized believes they are a premium brand. can price higher :unbelievable:
looking at the latest design failures roubaix/venge i think not..

i agree on the specialized.

Mep

by Mep

When will there be an Aeroad CF Evo? I'll be the first to jump on that.

tvargas

by tvargas

I'm also jumping on a Canyon as soon as they start selling in the U.S.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

spartan wrote:msrp for the frameset Mexico USD is $2969 holy F*****
resale value of cervelo RCA owners just went ....

when the enter the US market Q3 2017 what will specialized/trek/cannondale do?

They're f*cked?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

RussellS

by RussellS

Noctiluxx wrote:
spartan wrote:when they enter the US market Q3 2017 what will specialized/trek/cannondale do?

They're f*cked?

No. Especially Trek. Specialized a bit less. Cannondale, not sure about them. All of these vendors have big, strong local stores in every market in the USA that sell only or predominantly their brands. Similar to Ford and Chevy car/truck dealers. Despite what people on the internet want to believe, almost all bikes are sold in the local store. And serviced there too. And shorts and jerseys and lights and bags are sold there too. Canyon will have to become the next Apple to make Trek or Specialized worry even a little bit.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Here's a bunch of US-based retail stores that's banded together attempting to reverse the decline in cycling trend: http://20collective.org/. Summit Bicycles I believe carries Trek bikes. This effort and the underlying data about cycling in the US would support the idea that US retailers aren't doing that well. Some time ago a UK member on this forum talked about how in the UK brick and mortar stores have been catering more to the high-end riders because the lower-end market has been claimed by online retailers. He (or she) went on to say that these stores are now in trouble because the number of high-end riders are now diminishing and there's no grass-root support.

For me, I would go to the store only to try out a new bike. If I can try out a new Canyon bike physically then buy it online, I would do that because the online store doesn't have the overheads a physical store has and can therefore quote a lower price. I also rarely purchase anything in-store (except when I'm desperate), because the selection is usually much more limited compared to online stores.

The last thing on my mind is that this Canyon bike appears to be lighter than that graphene bike mentioned not too long ago...

asv

by asv

Mep wrote:When will there be an Aeroad CF Evo? I'll be the first to jump on that.

I was thinking the same thing, that would be a winner.

Shrike

by Shrike

asv wrote:
Mep wrote:When will there be an Aeroad CF Evo? I'll be the first to jump on that.

+1

Reckon there'd be a punchup at the start of the queue :lol:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I'd rather have seen the new version of Mavic CCU on these builds.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Mep

by Mep

Shrike wrote:
asv wrote:

+1

Reckon there'd be a punchup at the start of the queue [emoji38]

Guys I clearly got here first. Back in line!

reedplayer

by reedplayer

kgt wrote:
CharlesM wrote:The secrets behind its outstanding figures lie within an extensively optimised layup, consisting of ultra-high modulus pitch-based fibres that required special permission from the Japanese Ministry of Defence to access.

lol

+1

reknop

by reknop

andylav wrote:Would definitely be interested in one of the framesets if you weren't forced to buy the aero cockpit (ergonomics and fit don't work for me) and the V.2 VCLS seatpost (too springy).
A choice of a normal VCLS seatpost and stem only, as the framesets used to be supplied before last year, and I would be replacing my current CF SL.
Unfortunately not an option though, as confirmed with Canyon directly.

Yeah purchasing a frame-set is an option and removing the V.2 VCLS seatpost from the build is an option. Never tested one myself ... :)
I'm keeping an eye on the availability of the Canyon Ultimate EVO CF frameset.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com