Non-enve pads on enve wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Makes Reynolds strike seem like a decent crit option then if braking is that poor.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

So, I switched over to 9100 solely for better braking. These wheels have been driving me nuts and almost to the point of wanting a disc bike. I can say that with 9100 brakes, braking with the Enve pads is legitimately good. It's as good if not better than with the Black Prince pads. Unfortunately, it took Dura Ace level brakes to get acceptable (actually, really good) braking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I have started using the grey Enve pads on my rims with the textured brake track and it has cured the squeal and shudder that no amount of toe in adjustment would fix with the Enve black pads.

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I made the same switch from black to grey ENVE pads on a 2017 pair of 3.4s (with the new brake track) and it fixed the squeal for me as well. They don't last as long as the black pads but its definitely worth the trade off. I had contacted ENVE support and they recommended trying the greys and sent me a few pairs to try. This was on a Madone 9 with bespoke brakes.

izza

by izza

With greater braking comes greater heat. I’d have no problems using grey pads for normal riding but have delaminated a pair of 4.5’s in the Alps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

izza wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:55 am
With greater braking comes greater heat. I’d have no problems using grey pads for normal riding but have delaminated a pair of 4.5’s in the Alps

Tubular or clincher? And I take it you were using the black pads with the textured brake track?

izza

by izza

I am and I did. All sorted.

pedalbasher

by pedalbasher

So ummmm what's the answer? 😀 I've got a pair of new brake track 4.5s coming and I'd appreciate guidance on the best pads. Won't be riding in the rain at all, rolling terrain, some 10 min flowy descents, 58kg.

Ta

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Black princes are soft so they perform better in the wet and to preserve the rim. Dry braking performance is nothing special IMO. Because they wear out so fast too, I think if you ride mostly in the dry they will be quite disappointing. My 120kg friend descending on black princes is quite hillarious. After a few short descents the pads are half gone and just turned into a gooey mess. Liquified. Maybe that saved his rims, don't know.

If you have a modern rim that's of the more heat resistant kind try bora red pads. They are harder than black princes, and will give a very impressive bite in the dry. Just remember not to drag your brakes on descents.