Non-enve pads on enve wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I was running the Enves on my 45 clinchers. Then I switched to Black Prince for about a year and half, the braking in the wet was better, but the Princes ended up glazing the brake track. I switched back to Enve's and the braking was actually a lot better than the Princes in the dry, wet was still pretty average. SO I'm sticking to the Enves for now. I'd be interested to know how the blue Reynolds or Farsports pads go on them though

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eckhous

by eckhous

I'm using the Enve classis 65, switched to black price around 2 years ago, so far no issues, braking as good and Enve original pads or a bit better.
I was more concern about the wear on the rim braking surface but it all seems good.
If warranty is over, I would go with the black prince, a lot cheaper than the Enve pads which are made by SwissStop any way.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

ferrarista wrote:I don't know about Europe, but in North America you can get them at 19$ a pair.

Enve brake pads are typically €30 EUR or more per pair at every retailer I've found them. SwissStop Black Prince costs about the same for two pairs.

damond

by damond

MayhemSWE wrote:
ferrarista wrote:I don't know about Europe, but in North America you can get them at 19$ a pair.

Enve brake pads are typically €30 EUR or more per pair at every retailer I've found them. SwissStop Black Prince costs about the same for two pairs.

So one gets a 3000€ wheelset and complains about paying 60€ for a pair of pads every once in a while :roll:

Let's be honest, you just use such a fancy pair of wheels in good weather season and unless you live on a really mountain area i don't see you wearing a pair of pads in a "summer time" so just ride the damn stock pads and keep your rims safe!

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Bringing this one back rather than starting a new topic...

I have a set of Enve 4.5 NBTs and looking to change to a better pad.

The standard Enve pads are shocking in the wet (ok in dry).

I've bought some SwissStop Black Princes, but have also heard that the Reynolds Cryo Blue Power pads are meant to be great.

Any opinions guys?
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

ryanw wrote:Bringing this one back rather than starting a new topic...

I have a set of Enve 4.5 NBTs and looking to change to a better pad.

The standard Enve pads are shocking in the wet (ok in dry).

I've bought some SwissStop Black Princes, but have also heard that the Reynolds Cryo Blue Power pads are meant to be great.

Any opinions guys?

Do your Enves have the newer textured brake track?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Yes, hence why I put 4.5 NBTs ;)

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

ryanw wrote:Yes, hence why I put 4.5 NBTs ;)

If it was clear enough to begin with, I wouldn't have had to ask for clarification. Having never seen 'NBT' noted before, I thought it was worth confirming.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Well do some research and see that the new generation of Enve wheels with the New Brake Track, are surprisingly identified as NBT models.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

ryanw wrote:Well do some research and see that the new generation of Enve wheels with the New Brake Track, are surprisingly identified as NBT models.

Well I was going to weigh in and share my experience with the new Enve wheels in the rain but I think I'll pass.

Good day to you.

ergott

by ergott

ryanw wrote:Well do some research and see that the new generation of Enve wheels with the New Brake Track, are surprisingly identified as NBT models.

He really didn't deserve that attitude at all. Try taking it back a notch why don't you?

:noidea:

calleking

by calleking

Haha, that escalated quickly :)
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

RyanH

by RyanH

As others have mentioned, I couldn't figure out what NBT meant either.

Anyone else have experience with the Gen 2+ brake tracks and alternative pads? I wish I had seen the comments about gen 2 prior to buying them. I would have been a happy Mavic owner which has a stellar brake track. I'll try Reynolds Power Pads this week and report back. They were terrific on Gen 1 but I'd say it takes over 100 miles to develop a "patina" and for them to work at full capacity.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

RyanH wrote:As others have mentioned, I couldn't figure out what NBT meant either.

Anyone else have experience with the Gen 2+ brake tracks and alternative pads? I wish I had seen the comments about gen 2 prior to buying them. I would have been a happy Mavic owner which has a stellar brake track. I'll try Reynolds Power Pads this week and report back. They were terrific on Gen 1 but I'd say it takes over 100 miles to develop a "patina" and for them to work at full capacity.
What was the outcome with the gen2 rims?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

@Nefarious86 The Power Pads seemed to work pretty well, better than Black Prince. But, my pads were done in a few rides. This may not be fair cause I already had like 6 or 7k miles on them and didn't fully pay attention to how much pad was left prior to putting them on but after like 150 miles, they were toast.

I'll have my 2017 Mavic Cosmic Ultimates on Monday. Can't wait for those. I'm seriously disappointed with Enve. I'm not sure if I'm more upset with them or the journalists that write all these wonderful things about these wheels...cause they are straight up lies unless you're comparing to Gen 1 with Enve pads. Nearly everything else I've ridden that was 2015+ has been superior with respect to braking performance. Had this been a shop, I would've returned the wheels, but I can't do that to my friend that built them. Instead, it looks like I'll be eating probably $700 cause Enve can't figure their braking out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com