Looking for a new road bike? Build from beginning? Suggestions are welcomed!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

edgeman

by edgeman

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, and there seems to be a lot of helpful information here. I test rode a few bikes last week I rode a 58 Tarmac and a 56 Venge. I really enjoyed the Venge and I'm waiting to test the 58 size of it. I'm not fond of the colors for the Venge's other than the S-Works edition. I currently ride a 2015 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Pro Disc it's a 1X11 and I upgraded the wheelsets to the Mavic All-roads. I really like the bike, but I'm looking for something that I can get more out of in terms of distance and speed. With that being said, I'm considering buying the S-works Venge Vias disc but it's price is pretty high. I am thinking about buying just the frame and building it up. Would this be a smarter choice? :noidea: Also, are there other bikes I should consider? Most the terrain I ride is flat but a bike that can climb will be nice.

Thanks in advance!

joejack951

by joejack951

How adventurous are you? I'm currently building up a Hong Fu FM-079-F flat mount disc road frame. Sans pedals and cages, it should be right around 15 lbs. for a lot less than anything off the shelf near that weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gehenna

by Gehenna

The lower in weight you go, the cheaper it'll be speccing your own parts. But it also means you'll have to put the labor in, deal with wait times or possibly pay to have someone put it together for you. Getting an aero disk brake bike low in weight is gonna be pricey, getting it light off the rack is gonna be stupid expensive. Fuji Transonic frame comes in a *tad* lighter for well under half the price, but is rim brake only. The Venge is pretty heavy, even for an aero bike with the likes of the Oltre's, Madone, F8 and Dassi all coming in under a kilo.

edgeman

by edgeman

Thanks guys,

I'm just curious as to why if we are sensitive to weight why companies would build so many options? I know a lot has to do with preferences but its just mind boggling.

Yeah i'm pretty adventureous but With my Sirrus I just bought it because I was looking for something simple but high end. Now that I know how I ride, I'm ready to spend more and I want to make sure I give myself a bike I can weak but also get the most out of.

Doing more research is making me think I should pull the trigger on a tarmac but man I really love the looks of the venge. Trek doesnt do it for me. The o ly brand I'd probably consider unless I havemt heard of it is Canyon.

Shrike

by Shrike

The Aeroad Disc is probably the lightest disc brake aero bike around. 7.8kg I think for the 8.0 Di2, at a sort of reasonable price. Their wait times are all over the place again apparently though.
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/aeroa ... 0-di2.html

Aeroads look boss too.

Anyway, all this stuff depends on your personality. If you're happy settling, then get the Tarmac or whatever feels most budget friendly in whatever colour.

If you're the kind of person who can bluff himself temporarily but will later still covet the frame he really wants, then be patient and get your grail.

In terms of colours/specs etc. You can look to buy low, even a complete bike, strip it and sell the parts high.

Then buy the finishing kit you want for it low.

I've just about finished doing that. Took about 3 weeks only as bike parts sell fast.

I messed up last year buying a bike on sale for a couple of grand, great bike by all means. Really good price, almost 40% off.

I just never grew to love it, was always eyeing up dream rides.

In the end.. I had to suck it up, build the dream ride. YOLO and all that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edgeman

by edgeman

Shrike wrote:The Aeroad Disc is probably the lightest disc brake aero bike around. 7.8kg I think for the 8.0 Di2, at a sort of reasonable price. Their wait times are all over the place again apparently though.
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/aeroa ... 0-di2.html

Aeroads look boss too.

Anyway, all this stuff depends on your personality. If you're happy settling, then get the Tarmac or whatever feels most budget friendly in whatever colour.

If you're the kind of person who can bluff himself temporarily but will later still covet the frame he really wants, then be patient and get your grail.

In terms of colours/specs etc. You can look to buy low, even a complete bike, strip it and sell the parts high.

Then buy the finishing kit you want for it low.

I've just about finished doing that. Took about 3 weeks only as bike parts sell fast.

I messed up last year buying a bike on sale for a couple of grand, great bike by all means. Really good price, almost 40% off.

I just never grew to love it, was always eyeing up dream rides.

In the end.. I had to suck it up, build the dream ride. YOLO and all that.

Yeah this is the approach I am thinking to go. I've looked at the forums and have seen a lot of people do this. I wasnt sure if it would make sense in the end cost wise thats why I was thinking just to get the frameset first and add parts I want after...