Re-covering a stripped saddle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Arfer01

by Arfer01

Selle Italia SLR Tekno flow

Originally stripped for weight.

First draft, to be re done in the next weeks.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Arfer01 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

That looks great. Where did you source the materials and how much weight did it add.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Very nice. Also interested in the material that you used. I recently recovered a stripped SLR with a material that was too soft. It was easy to manipulate, but small rips formed in several places around the edges and the binder clips left impressions that haven't faded. Fortunately, it's easy to tear it off and try again.

KC

by KC

It's funny you posted this week about a week ago I bought a square of thin cowhide and some gel foot pads off of eBay to cover a Chinese Toupe copy. I was going to use it on my trainer bike since that's exactly when the sitbone pain really shows up. Sitting for hours on a trainer rivals doing a century for me. The leather has arrived and it seems a bit thick at 1/16" of an inch but that may also be a good thing. I'm still waiting on the gel pads which were thin and made originally for heels of shoes. I have some 2mm foam here as well. I'll do some experimenting.

KC

by KC

I'd also like to know where you got the perforated leather. On a side note goat leather is super soft and would work around shapes easily.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Nice work

stockae92

by stockae92

Nicely done sir!

boysa

by boysa

Talk about timing! I recently started experimenting with a Selle Italia SLR Superflow, and while the shape is perfect, I want just a tiny bit more padding. Great job on this... well done.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Would also like to know more about materials! Looks great.

Arfer01

by Arfer01

I have not yet tested the saddle so am reluctant to post a link to materials, once I know more I will post. I hope that makes sence

Marin

by Marin

Doesn't make sense - please tell us where to get the perforated stuff! :)

Looks great BTW

Arfer01

by Arfer01

Revised foam lay up with the extra foam underneath under sir bones and 2nd layer of foam on top with profiled edges. New cover with same material coming soon

ImageImage

Marin

by Marin

Would really like to know what type of foam & cover you are using!

I post a bit about my re-covering projects over here BTW - didn't want to spam your thread -> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141018&p=1292524#p1292524

Arfer01

by Arfer01

With new cover of same material, 99% done just a little tidying to do underneath. Will be testing soon. Saddle started at 77g and is now 120g

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

KC wrote:I bought a square of thin cowhide and some gel foot pads off of eBay to cover a Chinese Toupe copy.I'm still waiting on the gel pads which were thin and made originally for heels of shoes. I have some 2mm foam here as well. I'll do some experimenting.

I picked up a variety of different shoe inserts as well, thinking that they could be a good source of material, given the similar loads thicknesses they were designed around. Watch out when ordering the gel stuff, as some "gel" items are a pliable rubbery solid, but others are an external flexible vinyl envelope filled with a liquidy gel. With that second type, you can't really cut them to shape, as the gel will seep out the cut edge. When ordering from Chinese sellers it is pretty difficult to ask for more detail, so you just need to look at the pics and make your best guess...at least they're cheap!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com