New Cervelo R-series frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

Marin wrote:Why not, seriously?

Why, seriously?

wingguy

by wingguy

djconnel wrote:The most obvious change would be to go to the more aggressive stack/height of the S5, which isn't so aggressive compared to other main racing bike manufacturers.

The S5 is pretty much on point with most other major manufucturers race bikes, at least in the middle of the size range. Only really Trek H1 going much lower/longer. And it def looks like this new R5 has gone with the S5 geo. The pic of Cav's 48 in the Pro thread is noticeably shorter in the HT I think, and since Jay Thompson is 185cm his bike pictured here should be a 56, and again def looks lower than a current R5 56.

djconnel wrote:On weight, the last RCA iteration was basically holding the position of the prior. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for weight reduction.

From what I've heard (not 100% reliable mind) there isn't going to be a California version of this frame, but that the main production version will almost as light - whereas the current production R5 was more in the high 7, low 8 hundred gram range. So not great for the people who have $10k to throw down on a frame only, but very good for the majority of R5 buyers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

Shrike

by Shrike

Is it bad that I want it already.

And haven't even finished building my current bike.

djconnel

by djconnel

Top: existing R5 (smaller size but similar top tube)
bottom: new prototype

Chain stays seem fatter. I can't tell if the seat tube is 25.4, which I'd have anticipated, since Damon Rinard is @ Cannondale and Cervélo respects Rinard. I think it is 25.4.

wingguy

by wingguy

djconnel wrote: I can't tell if the seat tube is 25.4, which I'd have anticipated, since Damon Rinard is @ Cannondale and Cervélo respects Rinard. I think it is 25.4.

Nope, proprietary Squoval, check out the VN gallery posted above.

Presumably for compliance and aero reasons, but kind of annoying. One less place to customise. Hopefully it's going to be a very light post anyway, but still.

Tracerboy

by Tracerboy

Best looking R-series from Cervelo so far :thumbup:
Tall enough headtube so no more ugly spacers needed, clean seatstays, big downtube etc.
Looks like this one is real challenger to upcoming new 2018 Tarmac S-works.
It would be nice to see both in Giro to compare.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Good Lord and I thought previous generation had an oversized "CERVELO" logo. Now it takes up the whole downtube!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

wingguy

by wingguy

mpulsiv wrote:Good Lord and I thought previous generation had an oversized "CERVELO" logo. Now it takes up the whole downtube!

Hey look, this one takes up the whole downtube and the whole chainstay :wink:

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

wingguy wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:Good Lord and I thought previous generation had an oversized "CERVELO" logo. Now it takes up the whole downtube!

Hey look, this one takes up the whole downtube and the whole chainstay :wink:

I love it when users exhibit prejudice towards my Specialized avatar. Just because my avatar is Specialized, it doesn't mean I'm in bed with Specialized.
S-WORKS doesn't take up the whole downtube. See the red markings!

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

maquisard

by maquisard

You realise that is a vinyled on logo, not the final livery like on the frame you are comparing it against.

Completely pointless argument.

wingguy

by wingguy

I love it when users exhibit prejudice towards my Specialized avatar.

Prejudice? Nah dude, I just assumed you liked Specialized. If you don't want people to make that assumption then change your avatar :lol:
mpulsiv wrote:S-WORKS doesn't take up the whole downtube.

But it is as oversized as the other one you said was oversized, and even then they felt the need to cover a whole other tube with logo as well, just in case you hadn't noticed the main one. Point is, all logos are big these days. Calling out one for being a couple of inches bigger than the other (especially when it's not even a production paint scheme) is a bit wierd.

MRM

by MRM

maquisard wrote:You realise that is a vinyled on logo, not the final livery like on the frame you are comparing it against.

Completely pointless argument.

Judging by the current Cervelo S3 disc, that type of (oversized) logo is rather likely to be used in new Cervelo designs.

djconnel

by djconnel

The size of the logo suggests they're compensating. Like Trump's tie.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oraclesin

by oraclesin

It looks a lot like a Ultimate CF SLX.