New Venge Vias Disc or stick with my buddy 2015 sworks venge

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

speedworkx

by speedworkx

Girls and Guys,

This thread starts with a lot of I`s :D

I am torn apart, my dealer offered me a very interesting deal on a new sworks venge vias disc that was preordered by a customer that backed up. So money aside I ahve that option (so let's not talk money here).

I live north of Frankfurt Germany in the Taunus Mountains, more hilly in comparison to , say the alps, but definetly not flatlands, highest peak about 900 meters, normal 100 km tour would end up with about 1000m total elevation.

I own an 56cm 2014 SL4 sworks tarmac DA Di2 at 6234grams with eveything - great climber. most comfortable ride I own. (compact front rear 11-28) complete with pedals garmin mount sensors cages

I also own 56cm a 2014 (built 2015) sworks venge DA Di2 at 6789grams - fast machine, better on those rounds that are less hilly (TT front a rear 12-26) similiar complete

Now comes along that starship Venge - I like the looks ! (I don't like the looks of the trek madone - so no discussion here)

I have read through all the threads, i believe it's a fast machine, but it's heavy too. It's claimed at 56cm with no pedals at just shy of 8000gramms which is with pedals and some bottlecages and garmin mount and sensors it'll be more like 8200 gramms.

Now don't get me wrong I believe it's super fast, I read also the reviews of most pro magazines in Germany and UK - but almost 1,5kg more or 3,3 pounds for those in the US. I consider myself being a good , but not over the top biker with an average of 6000km a year (8000 in 2016) - so I still doubt I will manage to speed out the 1,5kg on my hilly roads.

The rest of my gear is normal jersey shirt and either Grio Aeon or SP Evade helmet... depending on outside temp.

I just wonder if a good deal is still good enough or let it past. Only ca ride one bike at a time :-)

Picture of my current venge attached.

Note: Cockpit now hangs 2 spacders lower... :wink:
Attachments
venge-smaller-smallest.jpg

Shrike

by Shrike

Do you actually love the VIAS? Clearly you have no need for a Venge. Post a pic and I'll see if it moves me :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazmtb

by chazmtb

It's cool to have a new bike. However, what you have is really nice already. 2 of them. For me personally, I would keep the old. The new venge doesn't do it for me, and it's almost 2kg heavier. I have t tried the disc yet to make the determination that whether the braking of disc outweighs the weight penalty and aesthetics.

joejack951

by joejack951

If you really a road disc bike, find something lighter. There's no reason a disc bike has to weigh that much. My build should come in under 6.8kg (minus pedals and cages) and I'll have less than half the price of a Di2 Venge into it.

speedworkx

by speedworkx

Thanks guys! That helped... I made my decission, I'll stick to my old venge... I consider adding the 64mm ROVAL Clinchers to it to make it even more aero.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

if you like your bike now, no reason to switch. disc brakes are interesting, but if you have good calipers already, should not make any difference to the enjoyment of your ride. problem with discs is you are stuck with the wheelset you have or buy new ones. with current model, you can swap wheelsets with ease.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I just stumbled upon this post. I would like to offer my insights. I own both a 2015 SW Venge, and a 2016 SW Venge ViAS. Full disclosure, I am a Specialized employee. I'm also a very big proponent of aero tech, and quite discerning about weight. I have links to both bike builds in my signature if you want to look at them. My first hand experience is the ViAS is a faster, and better bike despite being about a pound or so heavier. One thing most people don't realize about the ViAS is it is extremely stiff, and a great handling bicycle. The front end and bb are both much stiffer, but yet it is more vertically compliant than the previous version due to tweaks in the design, dropped seatstays, and flush seatpost collar. I'll be completely honest I hardly ever ride my 15, as the 16 is a much better performer on most of the riding I do. I pretty much only keep the 15 because it is lighter, easier to work on, and I love the paint work on it. It's my go to for fast rides that might include precipitation due to the ease of maintenance. I don't like getting the ViAS wet as it is more complicated to service, and I do my own maintenance. For a route with a lot of hills I might choose the old Venge to get to the top with a little less effort, but I have little doubt that I could make up the time on the way down with the ViAS. The improvements in aerodynamics and handling will make it faster on flat ground or going downhill everyday of the week. If I was still racing, which I may return to, I would only choose the old bike if there was weather, or if the race featured an uphill finish where making up time descending isn't an option. I hope my information makes sense to you. Have a great ride, and enjoy those Specialized bikes you currently own, and I thank you for buying Specialized.

turbocarr

by turbocarr

ProfessorChaos wrote:I just stumbled upon this post. I would like to offer my insights. I own both a 2015 SW Venge, and a 2016 SW Venge ViAS. Full disclosure, I am a Specialized employee. I'm also a very big proponent of aero tech, and quite discerning about weight. I have links to both bike builds in my signature if you want to look at them. My first hand experience is the ViAS is a faster, and better bike despite being about a pound or so heavier. One thing most people don't realize about the ViAS is it is extremely stiff, and a great handling bicycle. The front end and bb are both much stiffer, but yet it is more vertically compliant than the previous version due to tweaks in the design, dropped seatstays, and flush seatpost collar. I'll be completely honest I hardly ever ride my 15, as the 16 is a much better performer on most of the riding I do. I pretty much only keep the 15 because it is lighter, easier to work on, and I love the paint work on it. It's my go to for fast rides that might include precipitation due to the ease of maintenance. I don't like getting the ViAS wet as it is more complicated to service, and I do my own maintenance. For a route with a lot of hills I might choose the old Venge to get to the top with a little less effort, but I have little doubt that I could make up the time on the way down with the ViAS. The improvements in aerodynamics and handling will make it faster on flat ground or going downhill everyday of the week. If I was still racing, which I may return to, I would only choose the old bike if there was weather, or if the race featured an uphill finish where making up time descending isn't an option. I hope my information makes sense to you. Have a great ride, and enjoy those Specialized bikes you currently own, and I thank you for buying Specialized.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a 2012 S Works Venge with ENVE 4.5's at 15 1/2 lbs. My Vias Pro is 18.0 lbs with pedals, carbon cages, Romain Evo S Works saddle and Garmin mount. I also switched out the F&R derailleurs for DA. For the most part, I'd have to agree with The Professor. I'm hoping to keep the 2012 for racing and climbing (and bad weather). However I have a sub 14 lb C'dale for pure climbing (Prior team bike). Climbing is the only thing the C'dale does well (for me). However, what I'm finding is that the more I ride the Vias, the more I like it. The power transfer is unreal. Much stiffer laterally than the old Venge. I thought I was going to have handling issues in cross winds with the 64's but it's a non-issue. They actually handle better in the cross winds that the ENVE 4.5's. To shave more weight, I'm trying to figure out how much weight difference it would make switching out the shifters and calipers for the new DA R9170's. Anyone?

Spez

by Spez

17,8 lbs (8,1kg) incl P2M NG spider, ca 300gr less than the Di2 Ultegra that was factory fitted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com