A Review: Body-Customized Meld Saddles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

about time someone offered this. it is a brilliant idea.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

I've had about 2500+ miles on mine at this time. It looks and feels the same as it did in the photos. The cover and graphics are holding up well, I thought the graphics might be rubbed out a little but I don't see any wear. Unlike some of the nylon-based shells I had before, the carbon shell does not seem to 'break-in' or change in shape in any way. I suppose I'm expecting that of carbon fiber. Carbon rails are doing ok too, I believe they do help filter out some of the road buzz, though the effect of lower-pressure tires is greater. My weight is around 140lbs at this time.

Now's the toughest time of year in terms of cycling for me, because of the heat. Usually I get a bunch of saddle issues that are compounded by cramps (if I forget to increase salt intake), excessive sweating etc. Up to this moment the only time I felt discomfort on the saddle is when I get one of those cramps that hit all the major leg muscles. I thought about it and I think it's the hurting glutes that's causing discomfort, due to its proximity to the saddle contact point. I also have to admit that when I get one of those cramps, I basically have to stop, proceed to fail to unclip, and then just fall over. Any saddle discomfort when I'm lying face down in the dirt while having muscle spasms kind of has the lowest priority.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jever98

by jever98

Forthcoming in the next week :)
----
No longer in the industry

jever98

by jever98

Preliminary review, after 2 weeks of riding.

Received my Meld saddle 11 days ago and have ridden it for about 600km since, with a couple of long rides (up to six hours). I love the saddle, the approach of making a truly custom saddle, and really like dealing with the Meld team. With this saddle, it is the first time that I have been able to get into a really aggressive position (rolled forward) on my road bike, without perineal numbness. Before, I was only able to do it on split nose saddles, such as Dash or ISM.

I found the saddle fore-aft adjustment to take some sussing out, because it is so specific to one's sitting position. Initially, I had the saddle too far back and felt my sit bones were rocking about a bit, plus the cutout wasn't doing its job properly - it took me a while to figure that one out.

For me, there are small areas where Meld can push the envelope further and continue their already great product:
- I am hoping to see an option for carbon rails for >80kg (I'm 86-88kg). The steel rails are quite heavy (my saddle came in at 244g). Having ridden many saddles with carbon rails without problems, I would hope they can make this happen.
- I made a custom logo and the colors didn't quite come out as in their online system - the background is grey instead of black (as designed and shown). This is not a biggie and the Meld team immediately offered for me to send it back and get it redone - nice customer service.
- The saddle cover is borderline too grippy for me. It grips my shorts so well that I have more tendency to get rubbing on that saddle, on select bib shorts.

I'm very tempted to get a second, lighter one, even if they advise against it for my weight.

----
No longer in the industry

C36

by C36

I am in the process of ordering one, that was a long time that a product didn't interest me that much!
I have a question for those with the "low profile" carbon rail: what is the saddle height? Asking Meld I have been told "it depends" but would like to know if we talk about 40mm like my Toupe or in the 60mm range like my previous saddles.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

jever98 wrote:With this saddle, it is the first time that I have been able to get into a really aggressive position (rolled forward) on my road bike, without perineal numbness. Before, I was only able to do it on split nose saddles, such as Dash or ISM.

I think they had feedback that it works for aggressive positions, which is why they are looking at triathlon saddles now (it's on their Facebook page).

- I made a custom logo and the colors didn't quite come out as in their online system - the background is grey instead of black (as designed and shown).

I agree that the black (grey in the picture) is not dark enough.

That reminds me of a past incident where I was supposed to buy curtains that match the color of the walls (I'm manly enough - so there). It didn't end well. I think there are three things involved when trying to match colors:

a. The actual data itself, e.g. contents of the .png/.jpg file.
b. (a) will be translated by the display. If say the display's color is 'warm' (think light bulb colors), then whites will be more yellow. Vice versa for 'cool' and bluish white colors.
c. (a) will also be translated by whatever it is they use to make the graphics.

Because of the two steps between what we see on screen to what we see on the actual saddle, it's very difficult to get colors to match. There probably has to be a bit of to and fro, involving sending of actual color samples between them and the customers, to get it right. It works for mass production, but is probably too much of an overhead in this case (customization).

Back to the curtain example: the right thing for me to do was to first buy the curtains, then bring that to the hardware store to have the color scanned. The resulting mixed paint *should* match the curtains. But, I'll have to repaint the room(s), which.... blows.

- The saddle cover is borderline too grippy for me. It grips my shorts so well that I have more tendency to get rubbing on that saddle, on select bib shorts.

IIRC, they sent out a newsletter at the start of summer, with a reminder to check that the bibs/shorts are sufficiently tight. If not, the chamois will stick to the saddle rather than move with the body, resulting in rubbing/chafing. Just a thought...
Last edited by antonioiglesius on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

C36 wrote:I am in the process of ordering one, that was a long time that a product didn't interest me that much!
I have a question for those with the "low profile" carbon rail: what is the saddle height? Asking Meld I have been told "it depends" but would like to know if we talk about 40mm like my Toupe or in the 60mm range like my previous saddles.

I got your PM, I'll measure mine when I next get on it.

But I'd say that it depends on the shell (assuming the short rails are all the same). If the shell height changes with the anatomy, then the number I give will probably not match what you get. You can wait till you get your saddle, confirm the location where you sit, then measure height based on that.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

My saddle height (3/16" padding, short carbon rails, no rear slope) is around 35mm. My guess is that it'll be less if the side-to-side profile is more flat.

C36

by C36

antonioiglesius wrote:My saddle height (3/16" padding, short carbon rails, no rear slope) is around 35mm. My guess is that it'll be less if the side-to-side profile is more flat.

Many thanks! Even if it will vary with the shape, there is little chance it end up in 50 or 60 mm!
Initiating the ordering process for mine tomorrow :)

linda

by linda

I don't normally write reviews but since my experience seems unique (at least to me), I thought I should take some time and write one.

I saw Meld's advert on Facebook and gave it a try. I have been cycling for around 6 years, and have been searching for the right saddle. Had a couple of bike fits but the fitters seem unwilling to fit saddles that aren't "their brand" (i.e. not what they sell), they made a couple of quick changes and said I should take a few rides and things will get better. But it never did. I also got to sit on several sitbone measuring pads, and was told different widths depending on whether it's the middle or outside of the depressions. That was not helpful.

I went through the Meld process (ordered online, sat on foam, designed on their website) and received the saddle in about a month. I installed the saddle like I do for all my previous saddles, but felt that it wasn't better. Sent them an email to see if anything can be done, and was asked to provide a few photos (saddle + handlebars, and top of saddle). Also had to answer a short questionnaire.

Based on my response, they concluded that I've been riding on my perineum and was too far front on the saddle. They recommended tilting the saddle nose down (mine was tilted up), and to push the saddle front. I thought it would feel unnatural, but gave it a try anyway (took all of 10 minutes). It worked, and I finally understand what I've been doing wrong all this time.

I thought about this a while and I think the first saddle I had was too narrow. That caused me to know only about sitting on my perineum and not my sitbones (or what they are in the first place). Since that was the only way I knew how to sit on a saddle, I sat the same way for all subsequent saddles.

I kind of wish Meld was around when I started cycling, I would have avoided all the cost and discomfort. I think they are the only (?) manufacturer who can make a saddle that fits, and troubleshoot saddle-adjustment fit-related issues as well. I definitely recommend trying them out if anyone has any saddle problems.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

jever98 wrote:...

They showed a picture of a customized logo, it looks interesting. It's purely black and white, perhaps it'll help in some way in terms of ideas:

linda wrote:... Had a couple of bike fits but the fitters seem unwilling to fit saddles that aren't "their brand" (i.e. not what they sell), they made a couple of quick changes and said I should take a few rides and things will get better. But it never did. I also got to sit on several sitbone measuring pads, and was told different widths depending on whether it's the middle or outside of the depressions. That was not helpful.

I *think* Meld is gathering feedback on fitters who worked with their (Meld) saddles, not sure if they are doing that for all fitters. They had a Facebook post on this. Just wondering if you might be interested with sharing your experience with Meld?

thumper88

by thumper88

Extremely complete review, OP (I didn't want to quote it, it was so long)... one of the most thoughtful I have ever seen.
How has the saddle held up? And if there are no issues, what now that you are a few months down the road are your thoughts about build quality and quality materials?
The look of it is really really intriguing.

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

thumper88 wrote:Extremely complete review, OP (I didn't want to quote it, it was so long)... one of the most thoughtful I have ever seen.
How has the saddle held up? And if there are no issues, what now that you are a few months down the road are your thoughts about build quality and quality materials?
The look of it is really really intriguing.

Other than the dust and dirt underneath (winter is coming), it looks and feels like when I just got it (I compared with photos from before). I tend to take care of my stuff though, and avoid potholes as best as I can, at least those that I can see in time. I haven't noticed any anomalies, esp. with regards to the carbon parts. I believe they have a discount policy for impact-related damage, something like two-thirds discount for the first replacement, a third for second, and none thereafter.

There were a couple of times when some gunk (tree sap? not from me lol) landed on the cover, some isopropyl alcohol got rid of it pretty easily. The synthetic leather doesn't seem to be wearing, and the cover doesn't appear to be detaching from the shell.

Meld has a free cover-and-padding refreshing policy (I read on their Facebook page), if/when further down the road the padding collapses, I'll send it back and have them re-cover it. Probably will use my own logo as well, just to get a kick out of it.

I don't think Meld is at Interbike this year. I emailed them and they said they'll do a write-up of all the things they learned/encountered in the past year soon. That will be interesting. They said that they've replaced saddles that had fit issues related to the imprint being captured incorrectly, e.g. people sitting on the foam in a wrong way, at no cost. I expect that they'll talk about it more in the write-up.

refthimos

by refthimos

antonioiglesius wrote:They showed a picture of a customized logo, it looks interesting. It's purely black and white, perhaps it'll help in some way in terms of ideas:

Haha that's me and that's my saddle. Where did you find that photo? I think the flash on that photo doesn't really do it justice, it looks (to me) like some sort of decal affixed to the saddle. Here is my saddle in more natural light:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c6vjRB4V2BGAtQEM2

I really like it - my fitter doesn't even know I bought it, so I do want to go in and see him and have him confirm his approval - at that point I will have to order a couple more for other bikes.
Last edited by refthimos on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

refthimos wrote:Where did you find that photo?

I found it on Meld's Facebook page, every now and then they post pics of interesting logos. Yours' really cool, it's been giving me ideas for mine...

Btw the pic you posted from Photobucket isn't showing up, it seems they want you to upgrade your account or something.