Could a rim cause this sort of damage to a tube and tyre? [PIC]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

is it possible that you sliced the tire on the icy section prior to getting the blowout? it only takes a bit...enough for the tube to expand out of the tire itself to cause a massive hole like that.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Definitely call Wiggle as well and let them know. If that's where you got them.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I see alot of guesses but no facts above. What we know is the tyre blewout. Why we dont know. Carbon fibre can have sharp edges but you can feel that with your fingers. The op has not checked. Conti tyre sidewalls have failed like that on alloy rims. People blame the tyres. Maybe they just caught something sharp.

Unless the rim is inspected you cannot rule that in or out. Filing the bead may lead to the tyre unseating so do that only of there is something sharp.

BRM

by BRM

Shrike wrote:@BRM 4000s II, no clue what the batch number is though, maybe hoke through the bin later

You need to keep it because maybe Wiggle or Conti wants it to examine and send you a free replacement.
(seen that before)

When you know the batchnumber check if your reartire is the same AND check that one on imperfections.
Last edited by BRM on Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

bm0p700f wrote:I see alot of guesses but no facts above. What we know is the tyre blewout. Why we dont know. Carbon fibre can have sharp edges but you can feel that with your fingers. The op has not checked. Conti tyre sidewalls have failed like that on alloy rims. People blame the tyres. Maybe they just caught something sharp.

Unless the rim is inspected you cannot rule that in or out. Filing the bead may lead to the tyre unseating so do that only of there is something sharp.

yup. i have seen something similar to this as well...where a misaligned brake pad touches the tire...eventually leading up to a blowout.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

uraqt

by uraqt

I would search this site there were serial number of a bad batch 4000s it was quite awhile ago years but they still could be in circulation.

C

3Pio

by 3Pio

I have something similar (not that big, but very similar), on three Continental Force Tires. And all of them have like this after 1500 km on them.... Using Shamal Ultra Wheelset

mattr

by mattr

Pretty sure we had a big thread on this last summer.

Edit: Searching for veloflex warning and continental warning gives a few threads to read through.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

I'd put the rims in the bike without tyre and inspect them by feel. Be sure to clean them first to make sure there's no sand on them. Be sure to do this first before you get the Dremel out as Wiggle should have some warranty

The same thing could be done with the tyres. I'm not sure if you could actually feel the difference in width of the casing if it's there but definately check before asking a refund.
Ride it like you stole it

basilic

by basilic

kode54 wrote: misaligned brake pad touches the tire...eventually leading up to a blowout.

Rule this out. Have you checked the pads?
The tire is static wrt rim, so it's hard to imagine how the cut would happen

mattr

by mattr

The tyre isn't static to the rim. It continually flexes over the top inner edge.
It may also walk round the rim depending on a number of factors.

Shrike

by Shrike

Brake thing definitely isn't the issue. Knew that before making the thread. The Cosine rims have stickers making you mount the pads pretty low down.

Spoke to Wiggle Live chat at lunchtime and the guy said something like, "Cosine wheels have great reviews and are excellent value for money" :lol:

After directing robo-chatagent a bit better, he said it was okay to file the rough patch.

Think he's got no clue at all. Shot them an email with some photos. Haven't done Gigantex yet, will do shortly.

Doubt it'll help, but here's a shot I took just after it happened.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Shrike, glad you're okay!

Have you checked the rim at the exact location where the failure occurred? You can use your last pic, DS, three spokes to the left of (one of) the Cosine logo(s).

What was the fitting of the tyre like? Did you have to use a lever?

Sleepless

by Sleepless

I trashed brand new pair of Challenge Strada, 1 Schwalbe One and 1 Veloflex Master in just 2 or 3 months just like this. All tires were on their first or second ride when this happened. Rims were Reynolds Assault. I used this wheelset for at least 10k with no issues before all this began. I inspected rims after each incident. There were no sharp edges, no debris, nothing. Rims were as clean as the day they went out of factory. In my situation the cut wasn't as large as OP's though. Oh and it was always the rear tire. I have gained some weight but not that much to destroy every tire I ride. I call it bad mojo. :D

I always used 23 or 25 Vittoria CX III tires before I decided to try other tires and I must say, well, it didn't work out for me. I sold this wheelset and now I'm running Bora tubulars. I don't think that I'll buy another carbon clincher wheelset again.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

bm0p700f wrote:I see alot of guesses but no facts above. What we know is the tyre blewout. Why we dont know. Carbon fibre can have sharp edges but you can feel that with your fingers. The op has not checked. Conti tyre sidewalls have failed like that on alloy rims. People blame the tyres. Maybe they just caught something sharp.

I've had a similar thing happen to me on GP4000's on my first ride after a few miles, I was riding dura ace 7850cl wheels.

I didn't blame the tyre or the wheel I just put it down to road debris.

I figured if it was a tyre fault it would have bulged and given the "thump thump" sound of bulging tyre on brake.

With tyres at 90psi plus if you hit a piece of metal or glass that's the right shape things like this can happen.

I doubt any manufacturer would warranty it.
If however the rim has a sharp edge that could cut the tyre then I'd expect the wheel or rim to be replaced under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com