De Rosa SK Pininfarina vs Bianchi Oltre XR4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Next Bike: De Rosa SK Pininfarina or Bianchi Oltre XR4

Poll ended at Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:00 am

De Rosa SK Pininfarina
29%
Bianchi Oltre XR4
71%

Total votes: 73

kgt

by kgt

De Rosa SK is a striking machine as well but Bianchi is much better promoted in terms of marketing, that's all.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

kgt wrote:De Rosa SK is a striking machine as well but Bianchi is much better promoted in terms of marketing, that's all.

very good point !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seedster

by Seedster

As previously mentioned, both get positive reviews. Despite owning a de Rosa, the oltre XR4 with vision bars and campagnolo could be the best looking bike available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Interesting observation. What are your foundations regarding the King XS and Protos? Are you an owner of them, or just had a ride on them?

I havent owned either bike, but I've ridden both. I disagree that the King XS is stiff. Power transfer at the BB isnt impressive. Up a steep gradient it just feels sluggish. There's no way that the ride quality justifies the astronomical price tag. Its on par with a mid-range carbon frame at best and falls well short of the super-bike category.

The Protos, on the other hand is a much better frameset. It feels raw and alive, its pretty stiff and responsive. But its also just punishing to ride. Anything over two hours and you feel it in your body - you get off the bike feeling destroyed. Other frames that put a greater premium on comfort will leave you fresher and therefore on the bike longer for the same effort.

Here's a quote from the review of the SK from Cyclist: "With my 80kg sprinter’s hat on, the SK wasn’t stiff enough. Get out of the saddle and start wrenching on the bars and there’s a tangible flex through the frame".

Any top end racing bike that leaves the reviewer uttering that is not up to par with the rest in my eyes - not worth considering paying $$$ to swing a leg over. Though the review was positive overall, making flexy carbon frames these days isnt good enough. Bare in mind that though my comments negative, they are coming from a comparative perspective. Compared to other frames, they aren't as good. Objectively they are decent.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Lafolie

by Lafolie

zappafile123 wrote:
Interesting observation. What are your foundations regarding the King XS and Protos? Are you an owner of them, or just had a ride on them?

I havent owned either bike, but I've ridden both. I disagree that the King XS is stiff. Power transfer at the BB isnt impressive. Up a steep gradient it just feels sluggish. There's no way that the ride quality justifies the astronomical price tag. Its on par with a mid-range carbon frame at best and falls well short of the super-bike category.

The Protos, on the other hand is a much better frameset. It feels raw and alive, its pretty stiff and responsive. But its also just punishing to ride. Anything over two hours and you feel it in your body - you get off the bike feeling destroyed. Other frames that put a greater premium on comfort will leave you fresher and therefore on the bike longer for the same effort.

Here's a quote from the review of the SK from Cyclist: "With my 80kg sprinter’s hat on, the SK wasn’t stiff enough. Get out of the saddle and start wrenching on the bars and there’s a tangible flex through the frame".

Any top end racing bike that leaves the reviewer uttering that is not up to par with the rest in my eyes - not worth considering paying $$$ to swing a leg over. Though the review was positive overall, making flexy carbon frames these days isnt good enough. Bare in mind that though my comments negative, they are coming from a comparative perspective. Compared to other frames, they aren't as good. Objectively they are decent.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I don't agree. The King XS climbs superbly. Well...mine does and it's a stock frame. There are so many self appointed bike critics on the net these days...I tend to take them all with a pinch of salt. Anyhow......I'm off for a ride on my King XS !!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) :lol:

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Listen to the live review on the King XS http://www.ridemedia.com.au/features/de ... t-ride-68/

TwinSpokes21

by TwinSpokes21

[/quote]Here's a quote from the review of the SK from Cyclist: "With my 80kg sprinter’s hat on, the SK wasn’t stiff enough. Get out of the saddle and start wrenching on the bars and there’s a tangible flex through the frame".[/quote]

Yes, read this good review and agree with you in that I don't want to read or hear any review that mentions noticeable flex...or tangible enough to specifically call out on a review. But of course, flex is subjective. Honestly some days (as a 70kg rider), I think I notice flex in my Fact11 carbon S-Works Tarmac which I know is plenty stiff enough for other riders much bigger and stronger than I am! And yes, you are right, the review overall is favorable. And I do think that the SK is made with different levels of carbon to balance the stiffness/comfort dynamic...guess the same way the Bianhci adds the countervail and sacrifices a little more weight and possibly stiffness (as compared to the XR2 anyway) in exchange for comfort.

Still torn on which direction to go. Keep the comments coming!

TimW

by TimW

Is the De Rosa Protos made in Italy? Not sure about the SK. The Bianchi certainly isn't despite the badge implying otherwise.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would think of a new bike/ frame in terms like, if i ordered a custom frame, what would i ask for!?
With this said, i would look at geo and features i would ask for. In my case ride feel.
I agree that looks can be cool, but for long term happiness i would single out other properties first.
Both these are to long and low for my liking, but if i would go for one, it would be XR4.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

s
Last edited by zappafile123 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Lafolie wrote:Listen to the live review on the King XS

I participated in that round table. I got to ride each bike on test up the driveway over and over and the King XS was the worst of the lot (aside from the BMC - the SLR01 is much better than the 02). Jack and Ride Media full-stop don't provide readers with proper real-world reviews - they judge each bike in isolation and rarely if ever criticise a frame (there's a reason why they dont). Jack generally had odd opinions. He couldn't tell the difference between a stiff frame and a stiff set of wheels. Fulcrums are bloody stiff hence his comments. Put Fulcrum Nites on any bike and it'll likely feel stiffer and more responsive.

Lafolie wrote: Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I don't agree. The King XS climbs superbly. Well...mine does and it's a stock frame.

Like I said, my criticisms are relative. They are coming from the perspective of 'arbitrating over whats best' not whats 'merely good on its own merits'. The King XS is sorta stiff, but you jump on something thats actually stiff and responsive and it falls flat. I will put money on you agreeing with me if you rode the bikes side by side. Grab a Giant TCR Advanced SL, ride it up a steep hill and you'll know what I'm talking about.

ku_hi

by ku_hi

Normally I will say XR4, but Bianchi after-sale support is almost zero.
You only live twice

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Riding a bike up a driveway......are you for real? That's a test review? Then the guy who you are with doesn't concur with your thoughts, so he doesn't know what he is talking about? Furthermore, the guy who reportedly can't tell the difference between a stiff set of wheels and a stiff frame actually gets the gig to write the review. So mate..............do you think I have just got off a spaceship!

Also...referring to your 'noodle' quote on the SK

IT's such a 'noodle' that why Damiano Cunego won BLUE on it during the Giro - photo below. But hey.................what does he know ??????

GambadiLegno

by GambadiLegno

I voted for the Oltre. Although I usually ride Infinito CV in my job, and never rode an Oltre, I know people having them (XR2 models) and they love the bike and everything they tell you about it is good. I also like De Rosa, is a bike that I've always wanted to own. In fact, we're talking here about the 2 brands I like more.

What I don't like about Pininfarina is the seat tube, IMO the geometry of the King was the perfect one. I was in love with that bike.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Lafolie wrote:Riding a bike up a driveway......are you for real? That's a test review? Then the guy who you are with doesn't concur with your thoughts, so he doesn't know what he is talking about? Furthermore, the guy who reportedly can't tell the difference between a stiff set of wheels and a stiff frame actually gets the gig to write the review. So mate..............do you think I have just got off a spaceship!

Also...referring to your 'noodle' quote on the SK
[/img][/url]

I spent an hour riding the King XS around Sydney before doing driveway repeats on each test bike. The drive way is ~100 meters long and ~12% gradient. Plenty of time to get a good feel for the bike and perfect for comparing how different rigs respond to heavy pedalling loads.

Just because someone is employed to do something, doesnt entail that they are a credible source of information. I'm not saying he was generally incompetent, just that he conflated a stiff wheelset for a stiff frameset.

I steadfastly stand by my main point is that the De Rosa frames Ive tired aren't as good as the competition. Therefore, the likelihood that the SK is as good or better than the competition is diminished.

That Cunego rides a bike he's paid to ride lends no evidence that the SK is or isnt a noodle. Pro's riding specific bikes is a moot point.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com