Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

What crank should I get for the OSBB frame?
Power2max with the K-Force Light cranks + spacers (BB386EVO) 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Power2max + Rotor 3D+ (BB30) 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Power2max + S-Works crank arms 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 10
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:20 pm 

Hello,

Basically - the title says it all. I've got a new ViAS frameset with the OSBB that I'm going to build pretty soon and I'm wondering what do to with the crank. I currently own the power2max type S with the K-Force Light cranks (I've chosen them because I'm using 180mm crank arms). I was thinking about upgrading to power2max NG and changing the crank arms in the process. The way I see it I got 3 options:
- I can keep my power2max and the K-Force Light cranks and use the crank with the spacers on each side of the frame
- I can change the power2max for the Rotor 3D+ version and get the 180mm arms
- I could get the S-Works cranks in 180mm (although it's nearly impossible to get in Europe I guess, they discontinued making them) and change the power2max for the Specialized one

I kinda need the powermeter so getting a crank without one is not an option. Don't really want to spend my money on something else than power2max too, I'm super satisfied with their product.

I created a poll too, maybe I'll get more replies that way.

Regards,
Marcin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:41 pm 

I voted K-Force and spacers because it is the cheapest and fastest solution to getting the bike built. As the S-Works arms are tough to come by, you can keep looking for a set with the intent to swap out the K-Force if and when they show up in your size. If not, at least you don't have a useless NG power meter sitting around and/or an unbuilt bike.

Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:41 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:46 pm 

My only concern is it won't look just as nice as it could.. It's not really an issue on the drive side, but the non-drive side could look a bit better I guess.. http://imgur.com/a/axuUh

I'm using the same configuration as I would on the new ViAS (this is the BB30 frameset with aforementioned cranks); I didn't really pay much attention before, but seeing the bikes built without the spacers, being cleaner overall makes me wonder if I shouldn't do the same on a new bike.
I don't really have complaints about the K-Force Light cranks, they look nice and are stiff enough for me, it's just the aestethics of the non-drive side.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:13 pm 

Use a paint marker on that bare aluminum insert on the crank arm and it will look a lot cleaner.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:50 pm 

I say stick with what you have.

If you are really concerned, you could get a BB386 outboard bottom bracket for the frame instead of using the OSBB bearings. That would fill the gap better.

Also, I thought I read in one of the other threads that the new P2M NG doesn't actually fit on the new S-Works arms.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:55 pm 

Thank you for your replies. I've contacted Specialized Europe asking if they could get me 180mm crank arms from the US but the short answer is no. I have one last hope in the guy from ebay who supposedly have them, but he didn't respond to me in a long time.

According to power2max, the crank arms will fit. (If I understand correctly all S-Works cranks fit the NG)
support@power2max.de wrote:
The olde s-works crank also fit to our NG.

I might end up staying with my current setup if I won't find anything I guess, but I still have more than 1 month to even start the build. The idea of painting the aluminum black seems interesting, but it doesn't really solve my problem; maybe Rotor cranks do, but I can't find any real test/review of them.

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:55 pm