SMP/Saddle Pain Help Needed!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wntrmute

by wntrmute

I have experienced a distracting level of discomfort and pain on every saddle I've owned and I am just so tired of it. I just want to ride my bike and for once be focused on the suffering in my legs instead of the suffering between them.

Right now I ride an SMP F30. It's the best I've found thus far, but that's not saying much. My main gripe with it is sit bone pain after 20-30 minutes. I've just replaced some worn out bibs and the new ones don't offer any more relief, so I assume the padding on the F30 isn't enough for me.

There isn't a more padded saddle in the F30 "family" so I've settled on testing a Drakon. I tried it today and while it feels like it *could* be very comfortable, it crushes my balls in the drops and felt like it was cutting off a bit of blood flow than normal due to the cradle constantly pressing on the perineum. I tried nosing it down but by the time it felt acceptable between my legs I was putting more weight on my hands than I can sustain without eventual shoulder pain.

I figured that coming from another SMP I wouldn't need to adjust height much, not sure about fore-aft. The F30 is longer than the Drakon, but the Drakon's cradle looks to be further back so I tried to account for that.

Any set up tips that may help me find the sweet spot? Or other saddles that have a similar shape to the F30 with more padding?

Dat

by Dat

I need SMP saddles as far forward as possible. Have you also read this? There is a lot of good information in there.
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... bout-smps/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Sounds like you best bet is to find a bike fitter near you that has pressure mapping facilities, hopefully they'll be able to solve your problem once and for all
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

adamhenry

by adamhenry

Here is a link to SMP tips from Colby Pearce.
https://www.colbypearce.com/smp-setup-tips/

wntrmute

by wntrmute

I'll read both of those articles, appreciate it. Will also look in to local fitters with pressure mapping, sounds useful.

Either of you ride SMPs?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have a few of them (i wonder why) and i must say that these are not working at all for me.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

The SMP Composit and Stratos works well for me but I did find that some bib chamois did not work all that well with my SMP. What did work for bibs was anything Giordana, DHB with the HP Paris chamois by https://www.elasticinterface.com and also La Passione PSN also with HP Paris chamois.
It seems I find some chamois work better with some saddles.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

adamhenry

by adamhenry

wntrmute wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:08 pm
I'll read both of those articles, appreciate it. Will also look in to local fitters with pressure mapping, sounds useful.

Either of you ride SMPs?
Yes, I ride an SMP Evolution. I was riding an Fizik Arione and it was hell on my perenieum. The Evolution was not comfortable until a fitter helped me with it. He lowered it a bit and lifted the nose a couple of degrees. I am finally riding on my sit bones and adjusting to that.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

wntrmute wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:35 am
I have experienced a distracting level of discomfort and pain on every saddle I've owned and I am just so tired of it. I just want to ride my bike and for once be focused on the suffering in my legs instead of the suffering between them.

Right now I ride an SMP F30. It's the best I've found thus far, but that's not saying much. My main gripe with it is sit bone pain after 20-30 minutes. I've just replaced some worn out bibs and the new ones don't offer any more relief, so I assume the padding on the F30 isn't enough for me.

There isn't a more padded saddle in the F30 "family" so I've settled on testing a Drakon. I tried it today and while it feels like it *could* be very comfortable, it crushes my balls in the drops and felt like it was cutting off a bit of blood flow than normal due to the cradle constantly pressing on the perineum. I tried nosing it down but by the time it felt acceptable between my legs I was putting more weight on my hands than I can sustain without eventual shoulder pain.

I figured that coming from another SMP I wouldn't need to adjust height much, not sure about fore-aft. The F30 is longer than the Drakon, but the Drakon's cradle looks to be further back so I tried to account for that.

Any set up tips that may help me find the sweet spot? Or other saddles that have a similar shape to the F30 with more padding?
it's counter intuitive, but try nudging the saddle nose up a bit (for a net +/- 2 deg down from horiz) and make sure you're sitting on the rear of the seat with your sit bones. make sure you're rotating your hips and that your back is relatively flat/straight.

wntrmute

by wntrmute

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:21 pm
The SMP Composit and Stratos works well for me but I did find that some bib chamois did not work all that well with my SMP. What did work for bibs was anything Giordana, DHB with the HP Paris chamois by https://www.elasticinterface.com and also La Passione PSN also with HP Paris chamois.
It seems I find some chamois work better with some saddles.
Thanks, I've got some DHB winter tights I'll try out. Somehow I missed the stratos, looks like it has less cradle which might be a better fit for me.

wntrmute

by wntrmute

adamhenry wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:47 pm
Yes, I ride an SMP Evolution. I was riding an Fizik Arione and it was hell on my perenieum. The Evolution was not comfortable until a fitter helped me with it. He lowered it a bit and lifted the nose a couple of degrees. I am finally riding on my sit bones and adjusting to that.
Hah, yeah, my old Caad12 came with an Arione, those things are harsh.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velov

by velov

I've just bought a Blaster on the advice of others on here and it's working really well.