Supersix 2016 FORK on a Supersix 2014 FRAME

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormp

by stormp

I think it's safe to assume it's only the length that changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rideintospace

by rideintospace

garjo wrote:
stormp wrote:Did you do anything to the carbon? you spoke about sanding it down?

Nothing, it was just an idea at first then, looking at all those pics of 2016 Supersix framesets, I've discovered it's just normal

A friend just received his new 58cm evo and I had a look at the fork/frame gap. I can confirm that there was a gap between his frame/fork that looks identical to the photos you posted in the OP. Definitely designed this way, and nothing wrong with your combination of a newer fork on a previous model year frame.

To answer Godzuki's question, cannondale posts equivalent fork rake for all frame sizes, so I think a fork from a 58 frame would fit Godzuki wife's 48 :)

Svetty

by Svetty

rideintospace wrote:
garjo wrote:
stormp wrote:Did you do anything to the carbon? you spoke about sanding it down?

Nothing, it was just an idea at first then, looking at all those pics of 2016 Supersix framesets, I've discovered it's just normal

A friend just received his new 58cm evo and I had a look at the fork/frame gap. I can confirm that there was a gap between his frame/fork that looks identical to the photos you posted in the OP. Definitely designed this way, and nothing wrong with your combination of a newer fork on a previous model year frame.

Including the yawning void at the back? Surely not!

rideintospace

by rideintospace

Svetty wrote:
rideintospace wrote:
garjo wrote:

Including the yawning void at the back? Surely not!

Yes, the 2016 and newer (my friend's was specced with DA9100, so I assume it is the most recent version) forks leave a yawning gap between the fork and the lower headset. The new fork is too narrow front to back to completely cover the bearing seal at the rear of the lower headset bearing. I think both bearing races still have full contact with the frame though.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Both of the bikes with the new forks look amazing.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Both of the bikes with the new forks look amazing.

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

Sorry to revive this old ass thread, but i recently had some work done on my 2018 SS HM. Took off top cap, moved stem lower on the steering tube, rearranged spacers, tightened top cap, tightened stem. Turned wheel to the left and checked for play. No play, but i haven't ridden it.

I did notice a 1-2mm gap between the frame and fork though. Is that how it comes from the factory? I undid everything about 2-3x and can't seem to get the 1-2mm of gap to go away / get the fork to sit flush against frame. Is a 1-2mm gap there normal / safe to ride?
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

istigatrice

by istigatrice

rideintospace wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:33 pm
Yes, the 2016 and newer (my friend's was specced with DA9100, so I assume it is the most recent version) forks leave a yawning gap between the fork and the lower headset. The new fork is too narrow front to back to completely cover the bearing seal at the rear of the lower headset bearing. I think both bearing races still have full contact with the frame though.
Hey, wanted to ask if anyone with a 2016 Supersix could post a photo of the yawning gap on their frames? How often does gunk get in/out? TIA!
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)