top of easton ec90 fork crown chopped away

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

I've just bought a set of Easton EC90 superlite forks for a bargain price on Ebay. However, they're missing about 1mm of carbon at the edge of the crown. I think the previous owner must have chipped a bit of carbon away in order to get the old bearing race off the fork. There is also some marking on the inside of the leg, as if its been clamped there. What do people reckon...raise a return request? It was described as being in excellent condition, and when asking about the condition of the steerer, no indication was given that the top of the race had been chipped away. The one thing I am thinking is that at the top of the fork, there is a lot of material, and just round the top race, it probably doesnt matter as much as it would in the centre of the blades where they flex.

dj97223

by dj97223

Hard to tell without pictures, but I wouldn't want to take chances with a fork that is cracked or been messed with.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

Here is a photo:
EC90 fork damage
EC90 fork damage

and another:
SIDE ON
SIDE ON

and another:
FROM BACK
FROM BACK

wedgie

by wedgie

I suspect the mark on the crown looks like where the cable was rubbing.
The inside of the fork blade may have been damaged by the front wheel running badly out of true.

hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

I will post further photos tomorrow. I have sort of answered my own question....a fork which has had the crown race whacked off with a chisel leading to missing chunks of carbon is not really safe to use. Its a shame as its a 340g fork, and otherwise looks beautiful.

hoojammyflip

by hoojammyflip

Two additional photos with a high magnification of the removed material from the crown:
higher magnification 1
higher magnification 1

And another:
higher magnification 2
higher magnification 2

Svetty

by Svetty

The 'chip' at the crown race is likely OK - I'd maybe just sand it smooth and lacquer it, then fit new crown race. :)

Can't comment on the inside of the fork leg without better photos.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Cable rub is what I suspect. I'm no expert, but if it's on my rain bike I would use it, good bike, I would return it.