Light Etap front derailleur clamp

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

liam7020

by liam7020

Looking for a lightweight but reliable clamp to work with my Etap front derailleur. No doubt the SRAM Red clamp would work faultlessly but is there a lighter alternative? Ta.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

rideintospace

by rideintospace

Fairwheel may be your best bet. They have options in matte or gloss, UD or 3k carbon for $24. I have used the cutter brand one in gloss 3k, worked well for me but is 14g vs 8g for the fairwheel version. Since there is only 1 bolt to hold the FD in place and clamp around the seat tube, you will just have to take your time to get the placement just right.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rideintospace

by rideintospace

I have never installed etap so I will relate my experience with a campagnolo front derailleur: the cutter (and fair wheel) clamps are flat on the front side, while most braze-on FD mounts are curved front and back. Campagnolo provides a titanium fixing bolt with a curved washer that cannot be removed, so I had to find an alternative screw to hold the FD on with the flat cutter FD clamp. I think I ended up using a steel screw that came with a k-edge chain catcher which worked out great, they provide 3 different lengths since the bolt cannot be too long or too short to work correctly. Good luck with your etap project!

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

RyanH

by RyanH

If you go carbon, don't cheap out, get Parlee. My one from fairwheel was too small and broke. Otoh, I did have trouble with my Ti frame and the sram clamp, it kept slipping. Parlee is expensive but works very very well.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

RyanH wrote:If you go carbon, don't cheap out, get Parlee. My one from fairwheel was too small and broke. Otoh, I did have trouble with my Ti frame and the sram clamp, it kept slipping. Parlee is expensive but works very very well.

KCNC broke? https://fairwheelbikes.com/kcnc-front-derailleur-clamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

RyanH

by RyanH

rideintospace

by rideintospace

I never had an issue with my cutter brand carbon clamp, and I think it is cheaper than the fairwheel version. I wouldn't say don't go cheap, just make sure you buy something reliable. Maybe the extra 6g on the cutter clamp helps with durability.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Agreed - I had the same one, and while it didn't break, it was impossible to get the derailleur to stay/shift properly while following the recommended torque.

Went with Campy braze on adapter in black and haven't looked back.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Electronic + light clamp.. I understand this is WW but I'd be checking it regularly to ensure it didnt end up in my chainrings mid shift at some point
Using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

K-Edge is aluminum and rock solid with only ~ 6 grams of weight penalty. Not to mention an option to install chain catcher.
14 grams on my scale http://k-edge.com/shop/chain-catchers/braze-clamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

liam7020

by liam7020

Also found this one on the Bike24 website:

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=69687;menu=1000,4,24

Looks like a decently made piece of kit.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen