Token 11sp cassette, xg-1190, dura 9000, zipp 404 combo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

432r

by 432r

Ok.
Have 404 FC with alloy freehub body.
Dura ace 9000. Shimano cassettes are chewing through the freehub body.
Looking for solution.

- basically need to replace alloy my freehub body due to shimano cassettes at a costs of around $250 per pop. Pretty annoying and I get the impression this will be a regular thing.

- so tried SRAM xg1190 but the issue is the cassette is 2mm wider than 6800,9000 cassette so it never tunes in the bottom of the cassette. Not good enough. SRAM cassettes are basically no good on mech 9000. Simple as that.

Aim -
Preserve freehub on 404FC
Smoothly shifting rear cassette (SRAM cassettes are proven to be no good).

So I'm looking at the token 11:10 cassette as it seems to have the powerdome design like the SRAM which preserves the freehub on the zipps.

What are people's thoughts on trying this cassette as a solution ?
Shift quality?
Not a cheap cassette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

432r wrote:- so tried SRAM xg1190 but the issue is the cassette is 2mm wider than 6800,9000 cassette so it never tunes in the bottom of the cassette. Not good enough. SRAM cassettes are basically no good on mech 9000. Simple as that.

:roll:
No, it's as simple as adjusting your rear derailleur. Simple as that.

Rear mechanical Derailleurs of any brand are not limited by their range. You define the range with the High/Low adjustment screws. Your shifter then pulls the cable to a length which divides that distance by the number of gears you are using (ie, 10 or 11).
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I had a DA 11sp cassette until I broke the spider and I replaced it with a Red 1190. No issues.

Also, freehub notching isn't a huge issue with the DA cassettes since the larger cogs are on the (weak-ish) spider. How often do you swap cassettes?

And - are Zipp freehubs really 250$? That's an outrage.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Can you file down the burs on the free hub so the sprockets slide on and off easier? I have the same issue on my tune mag 170 rear hub but just file it lightly maybe once a year and it's fine for ages.

I can't remember hearing if tone else having issues theory the sram 1190 cassette on a shimano drive train. It seems the most popular alternative to the weak dura ace cassettes that break so often.

If you still need a different brand cassette then you could try looking at edco cassettes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deek

by deek

An XG1190 cassette is not 2mm wider than an 11s Shimano cassette. You're off there. Here's an article on cassette spacing that you might find interesting.

prendrefeu wrote:
432r wrote:- so tried SRAM xg1190 but the issue is the cassette is 2mm wider than 6800,9000 cassette so it never tunes in the bottom of the cassette. Not good enough. SRAM cassettes are basically no good on mech 9000. Simple as that.

:roll:
No, it's as simple as adjusting your rear derailleur. Simple as that.

Rear mechanical Derailleurs of any brand are not limited by their range. You define the range with the High/Low adjustment screws. Your shifter then pulls the cable to a length which divides that distance by the number of gears you are using (ie, 10 or 11).

While the OP is wrong about the SRAM cassette not working with DA9000, your last sentence isn't quite accurate either. The shifter doesn't divide the range between high and low limit screws by the number of gears. The distance a specific shifter moves a specific RD has nothing to do with the limit screws except in the largest and smallest cogs. A 10s Shimano cassette would not work on a 10s Campy drivetrain, for instance. We just happen to be at a time where all major manufacturers use a very similar cog pitch.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

File.down the burrs. Put straightened steel staples on them so they dont chew into freehub anymore

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

deek wrote:A 10s Shimano cassette would not work on a 10s Campy drivetrain, for instance.

Actually, it always had worked fine.
How do you think 'neutral' wheels worked in Grand Tours for so many years regardless of what drivetrain the racer was using?
Do some research. :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

victorduraace wrote:File.down the burrs. Put straightened steel staples on them so they dont chew into freehub anymore

This is what the OP should do. Simple and lightweight.

/a

deek

by deek

prendrefeu wrote:
deek wrote:A 10s Shimano cassette would not work on a 10s Campy drivetrain, for instance.

Actually, it always had worked fine.
How do you think 'neutral' wheels worked in Grand Tours for so many years regardless of what drivetrain the racer was using?
Do some research. :wink:

They had different wheels for Campy and Shimano. Take a look at that link in my previous post. I think you're the one who needs to do some research.

Or you can think about it this way. How could a shifter know where you set the limit screws? The pawls do not move. They are fixed.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Maybe the OP means that he can't get the chain on the 11 tooth. That's not a cassette issue but has more to do with the rear dropout/hanger positioning. There is a fix for that also.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

F45

by F45

I had an xg1190 and tried to make it work smoothly with 6800. I measured it and found it to be about 2mm wider. I talked to a mechanic at the lbs about it and he knew exactly what I was talking about. I sold it.

JimV

by JimV

Same issue. Sram guy that wanted a cassette starting with a 12, did not like the way the DA chewed up my Zipp hub.
I have a EDCO cassette on order that should should show up here in a few days. I can give you a report on how it shifts with Etap in a few days.

Marin

by Marin

2mm wider where? How does it fit onto the freehub? I've got both at home, if I remember I'll measure myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com