Help me get some tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

mr4fox wrote:
Wookski wrote:Veloflex Arenberg + Bontrager TLR (only if puncture) + Silca hand pump = good times
Why bother riding tubs if you're using garbage like Tufo, Continental and other butyl inner tubed garden hoses? Also please learn to glue your tyres, it's not hard and significantly safer.

Ditto.

Also, Vitoria corsa G+ tubulars are faster than contis's

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... =7&minpr=8

OP: Not just faster, but also easier to mount. Use quality glue and be patient preparing and mounting them properly. I'd only add sealant (orange seal) if I had a puncture. If you got home and it keeps holding air, you can use the tire until the end of it's life.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Conti gp4000s tubs are excellent but 22mm only 275g as well. The conti competitions are avaipable in 25mm width and are more like 300g and these are reliable tyres. I have tried the sprinters but they are not as nice. Vittoria paves are superb for grip but i have found them puncture prone and they wear quickly. Vittoria corsa give a great ride but punture resistance is not high and wear life is not stellar.

Dugast tubulars like the strada cotton will be lovely. Not light though.

mrgray

by mrgray

cheapest and best tubs are vittoria pave (which are now discontinued). various sites have them on special. 25 mm is like a lovely cloud but heavy. light and fantastic is veloflex carbon, but expensive. some tubs claim to be durable but they negate the tub experience (schwalbe one and continental gatorskins in my experience). also in my experience they werent even that durable.

need ot clean tyres before you ride and whilst riding. just brush off debris and inspect for bits that are about to penetrate. easy!

take sealant with you. i take tufo extreme. works very well. put it in then let the hole be on the bottom and let the sealant do its job.

take a spare with you. take a pump. then nothing can go wrong.

use glue. when you take a tyre off there is residual glue on wheel. this is enough to hold new tyre on. on some occasions i have forgotten to "properly" glue tyre. still fine. wouldnt want to do that on a 40 degree day on switchbacks mind you, but for general getting home, fine.

tubs are a great ride, let you use light wheels and are a bit of esoteria which add to the romance of road cycling for me. plus they corner great. enjoy!
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

ab01ns

by ab01ns

#1: Only use sealant if you puncture.
For me, riding tubs isn't about saving weight(it does anyways) but the ride feel and experience. You can expect to save 50-100g per tire going tubular from clincher.

Vittoria Corsas are excellent tubular tires, as well as FMB and Veloflex.
I would recommend Vittora Corsa 25mm, Veloflex Arenbergs/Roubaix for a wider, more puncture proof ride, or Veloflex Carbon/Criterium for a lighter, smoother rolling tire. Remember, Veloflex makes one version in each width 27, 25, 23 and 22 mm but calls the gumwall or black wall version of the tire a different name.
As for FMB tires, I have a competition CX mounted on a front wheel. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, but they're hard to get in N. America. I also got it for 25$ NOS, so I can't complain. I'd say they're the best I've ridden, but only marginally more so than veloflex, and not really worth the extra premium and P.I.T.A it is to get them into N.America(canada specifically)

Stay away from continental tires, good for racing but IMO don't ride well at all compared to the other brands I mention
20% cyclist/80% J.I.T

zalle

by zalle

I found a sweet deal on Vittoria rally 25c. £30 for a pair delivered to Portugal.

Are these any good?
Thanks

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Tufos are rubbish.. they are very tippy.. eg they fall in onto the profile that looks like this /\ and only ride well at 120-140psi at which point they have no grip.. contis even when pre stretched for 12 months will make you bleed mounting them and actually when push comes to shove have no more puncher protection than veloflex or FMBs
Which are two of the most worth while tubular brands..
I'm a big fan of the vitto clinchers in the new G+ compound but have yet to make the move away from the veloflex tubs . I love the way they get squirmy when pushed to hard giving you plenty of warning befor they let go.. the contis and the older vittos don't do this they simply snap..while possibly giving more grip it's not as useful as the limits are harder to gauge..
At the end of the day if you are going tub simply to save weight with out understanding the nuances, the limits and the responsibilitys then don't bother.. your only gona increase your running and taxi costs

zalle

by zalle

sugarkane wrote:Tufos are rubbish.. they are very tippy.. eg they fall in onto the profile that looks like this /\ and only ride well at 120-140psi at which point they have no grip.. contis even when pre stretched for 12 months will make you bleed mounting them and actually when push comes to shove have no more puncher protection than veloflex or FMBs
I'm a big fan of the vitto clinchers in the new G+ compound but have yet to make the move away from the veloflex tubs . I love the way they get squirmy when pushed to hard giving you plenty of warning befor they let go.. the contis and the older vittos don't do this they simply snap..while possibly giving more grip it's not as useful as the limits are harder to gauge..
At the end of the day if you are going tub simply to save weight with out understanding the nuances, the limits and the responsibilitys then don't bother.. your only gona increase your running and taxi costs

OK, thanks, but are the Vittoria rally any good?

Thank you

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Every Vittoria Rally's I've ever purchased lasted no longer than 10 miles before they flatted [not glass, just gravel]. I thought it was just bad luck, but I gave up after puncturing 5. Never again, no matter how cheap they were, it's too expensive considering the miles I got out of them.

zalle

by zalle

Looks like they're crap... :D

anlimdy22

by anlimdy22

sugarkane wrote:Tufos are rubbish.. they are very tippy.. eg they fall in onto the profile that looks like this /\ and only ride well at 120-140psi at which point they have no grip.. contis even when pre stretched for 12 months will make you bleed mounting them and actually when push comes to shove have no more puncher protection than veloflex or FMBs

I'm using Tufo elite S3 now which i find very comfortable(375tpi on bottom) and fast rolling. S33 and is sh*t.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I find the S3 elite too stiff, doesn't make sense for me to use such tubulars. I just ripped them off pretty much new and will put on Vittoria G+ speed today, that's how much I hate it.

1415chris

by 1415chris

375 TPI..... I wish I could do the same wit £10 note, fold it ten times and say now I have £100! :)

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Kayrehn wrote:I find the S3 elite too stiff, doesn't make sense for me to use such tubulars. I just ripped them off pretty much new and will put on Vittoria G+ speed today, that's how much I hate it.

let us know how you find them i have yet to ride hem

anlimdy22

by anlimdy22

Kayrehn wrote:I find the S3 elite too stiff, doesn't make sense for me to use such tubulars. I just ripped them off pretty much new and will put on Vittoria G+ speed today, that's how much I hate it.

how much pressure you pump?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The Vittoria Corsa G+ felt better at 100/110 than my Tufo S3 at 90/95. I don't really know how to explain it, it just has more give even at higher pressure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com