Help me get some tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zalle

by zalle

Hi guys, I just got a set of new 1kg carbon wheels. I'm new to tubular, but one thing I found out straight away is that tubular are expensive.

I don't understand if they are heavier or lighter than clinchers. Michelin pro race 4 + cont. Extra light tubes weigh 250g combined. A tubular needs liquid inside, and glue... How much does it weight?

Which light tubulars can I buy without breaking the bank? I'd like to go a bit more comfortable,around 25c. I read a lot about the arenberg...

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

I'm still learning about tubulars, too. I should be ready soon to try Tufo taping my first pair after I finish building my wheels.

One thing to consider with tubular prices is that the production volumes on tubulars are likely an order of magnitude lower than for clinchers. So you will pay more for what you get. As far as weight is concerned, try to compare like for like. If you are factoring in sealant in both of your tubulars, also factor in the weight of two extra tubes plus tire levers for your clinchers. Clinchers also need rim tape which is probably about the same weight as glue or tubular tape. Also, much of the weight savings is going to be on the wheels (rims) as you know. Not many 1kg clincher wheelsets around.

I ended up choosing Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm tires for myself, considering I wanted some flat protection and I'm also following the trend of a wider rim and tire combo (27mm wide rims for me). They measure a true 25mm and weigh in on average at 277 grams. The Speed version is considerably lighter but only 23mm.

I got mine from Ribble for $56 each a few months ago but they've gone up to $64 since.

Rudi

by Rudi

Have a look at the tubular thread:

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=72309

@zalle - a tubular does not "need" liquid inside. It does need glue.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

GambadiLegno

by GambadiLegno

When I had tubulars, I always went for Vittoria Corsa SC or Continental tubulars (sometimes a model, sometimes other). I do not recommend Tufo at all. Tufo's sealant and glue tape are ok, but their tubulars are very far from Continental or Vittoria ones.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Tufo 215 s3lite are not so bad. Pretty tough and light

zalle

by zalle

Rudi wrote:@zalle - a tubular does not "need" liquid inside. It does need glue.

But since they're not as easy to repair, liquid inside is a good idea, right?

By the way, is the superglue + patch a good way to repair them if there's a puncture?

meanmachine

by meanmachine

i use Continental Sprinter 25mm,
the weight is not a problem for me

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

<$100 for a set, that's not too bad for a pair of good tubulars.
https://www.merlincycles.com/continenta ... 97378.html

I would not install sealant unless I had a leak. From my understanding, the sealant messes things up if you do not ride often [winter time].

mr4fox

by mr4fox

zalle wrote:
Rudi wrote:@zalle - a tubular does not "need" liquid inside. It does need glue.

But since they're not as easy to repair, liquid inside is a good idea, right?

By the way, is the superglue + patch a good way to repair them if there's a puncture?

Only put sealant in "if" you puncture. Carry a can (aerosol) of pitstop or espresso latex in your jersey pocket. They're not that heavy.
I puncture far far far less on tubular than clinchers. And I bet most tubular users will attest to a similar experience. I've never bothered repairing tubs. I just replace them.

Vitoria corsa G+ is my favourite. The speed version is a time trial tyre which I don't think are intended for longevity/high mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

See what planet x have got in stock. I picked up a pile of Vittoria corsas for not very much each.
Last year's colours apparently.

gurk700

by gurk700

Can't go wrong with Conti Competitions from what i've heard? I have Veloflex Arenberg 25mm tires on right now and they feel amazing but I might try Contis next. Not sure if they're on the light side of things though.

em3

by em3

bike-discount.de still has/had Vitt Pave in 25c and 27c at blow out prices. I picked up 10 right before the holiday.

No sealant until you puncture....try Bontrager TLR sealant (one ounce is all you need and I have found it seals large holes, compared to other sealants). Carry a spare tubular tire and use glue not tape, in case you have r\to change a tire out on the road.

reedplayer

by reedplayer

i was very satisfied with schwalbe one.

any experiences with those?
https://r2-bike.com/SCHWALBE-Tubular-Pr ... O-LiteSkin

Wookski

by Wookski

Veloflex Arenberg + Bontrager TLR (only if puncture) + Silca hand pump = good times
Why bother riding tubs if you're using garbage like Tufo, Continental and other butyl inner tubed garden hoses? Also please learn to glue your tyres, it's not hard and significantly safer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Wookski wrote:Veloflex Arenberg + Bontrager TLR (only if puncture) + Silca hand pump = good times
Why bother riding tubs if you're using garbage like Tufo, Continental and other butyl inner tubed garden hoses? Also please learn to glue your tyres, it's not hard and significantly safer.

Ditto.

Also, Vitoria corsa G+ tubulars are faster than contis's

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... =7&minpr=8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk