Wheel choice.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blueturtle

by blueturtle

Hi,need some advice. I will soon be riding a Gentlmans two up 10 mile flat time trial (i will be in the slipstream for the majority of the distance) My bike is a Cervelo r3sl. My quandry is ,what wheels to use.I have the choice of two wheelsets. Enve 3.4 clinchers with Pro 4 tyres or Reynolds mv32u tubs with velox carbon tyres. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'd definitely pick the Enve 3.4 over the reynolds. Clinchers are often faster than tubs (mostly depends on the glue job) and it's a bit deeper. The pro 4 and the veloflex carbon are probably very similar from a crr point of view. You didn't mention the width of the pro 4.

If you can spend a little and the pavement is nice, I'd pick up a set of Specialized Turbo Cotton 24 front and 26 in the back. If that's too expensive, you can use conti grand prix TT tires or the attack / force combo. If the pavement is less than ideal, I'd stick with the tried and tested conti gp4000 (23 front / 25 back). BUT I'm not sure it'd be an improvement over the pro 4 (probably not).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

nemeseri wrote:I'd definitely pick the Enve 3.4 over the reynolds. Clinchers are often faster than tubs (mostly depends on the glue job) and it's a bit deeper. The pro 4 and the veloflex carbon are probably very similar from a crr point of view. You didn't mention the width of the pro 4.

If you can spend a little and the pavement is nice, I'd pick up a set of Specialized Turbo Cotton 24 front and 26 in the back. If that's too expensive, you can use conti grand prix TT tires or the attack / force combo. If the pavement is less than ideal, I'd stick with the tried and tested conti gp4000 (23 front / 25 back). BUT I'm not sure it'd be an improvement over the pro 4 (probably not).

I love that every one of your recommendations is a staggered set up... :beerchug:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

3.4s for sure
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package