Firefly or Mosaic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brendanfoo

by brendanfoo

Hi folks, I am in the market for a custom Titanium/Stainless Steel frame. I have a hard time on deciding on a builder. Anyone have any experiences or recommendations? I have read some threads on this forum on how Firefly uses stock tubes and paragon parts? Can anyone elaborate more on it?

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

I would vote for firefly based on their unique anodization.
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with either of them.... they both make beautiful bikes.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I have a firefly. Very satisfied and the bike looks great. But honestly you cannot go wrong with either both are great builders. Go with the one that sings to you more. The important thing will be the conversation you have with them and making sure they build a bike to your weight, size and riding style. Both are more than qualified at doing just that but you might have a better rapport with one over the other.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

kode54

by kode54

yup. i'd be happy with either one. if you can tolerate the wait times...see who has the shortest line to get one.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

morrisond

by morrisond

For wait times it will most likely be Shorter with Mosaic - it would be 8-12 weeks not 8-12 months(purely guessing on this I haven't checked with Firefly lately) unless you want to pay Firefly a Premium for an early spot if they still do that.

That being said I'm just in the process of Ordering a Mosaic but i love the Firefly Drop-outs - Works of art.

shimmeD

by shimmeD

For stainless, go with English
Less is more.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

morrisond wrote:For wait times it will most likely be Shorter with Mosaic - it would be 8-12 weeks not 8-12 months(purely guessing on this I haven't checked with Firefly lately) unless you want to pay Firefly a Premium for an early spot if they still do that.

That being said I'm just in the process of Ordering a Mosaic but i love the Firefly Drop-outs - Works of art.

I got my firefly in way under that time. you don't need to wait 8-12 months. Got mine in under 3. i paid the fee. I love the drop-outs and the anodized treatment. but if i was simply looking for a solid titanium bike and the aesthetics were not the top priority I'd probably go Seven Cycles.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Some of this is just repeating what others have said but definitely ask both about lead times. I love my Firefly and will always recommend them to someone looking for a top notch Ti or SS frame. That being said, a few things to consider:

Aaron Barcheck at Mosaic started at DEAN before opening Mosaic. Tyler Evans fabricated at Merlin until the late 90's, then Independent Fabrication before starting Firefly (Jamie and Kevin also came from IF). Not sure if the lineage of either of those means anything to you.
Also, if you're thinking about paint, Mosaic uses Spectrum Powder Works in Colorado. Firefly has used different painters over the years but Hot Tubes did their most recent TenSpeed Hero project bikes.

You'll get a crazy nice bike either way. I got a no-frills Ti Road from Firefly back in 2011 and it's been my bike for everything from crit racing to D2R2 to long charity rides to commuting. I love that thing and it's probably going to be my bike for all those things for another 10 or 20 years.

ewwhite

by ewwhite

No.22 Bicycles?

https://22bicycles.com

duende

by duende

Tough choice. But there are key differences that may matter to you so do some research. Check out the rear drop outs, chainstays, tubing diameter choices.. There's reasons why the two builders chose different paths here. You might find that you align more with one over the other.

Just my .02

eric01

by eric01

+1 for carl strong. Don't have the flashy anodizing as Firefly -- which I admit is really cool -- but a solid, no nonsense, high quality titanium bike.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Wingnut

by Wingnut

ewwhite wrote:No.22 Bicycles?

https://22bicycles.com

Agree...these guys make cool bikes!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jrobart

by jrobart

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
morrisond wrote:For wait times it will most likely be Shorter with Mosaic - it would be 8-12 weeks not 8-12 months(purely guessing on this I haven't checked with Firefly lately) unless you want to pay Firefly a Premium for an early spot if they still do that.

I got my firefly in way under that time. you don't need to wait 8-12 months. Got mine in under 3. i paid the fee. I love the drop-outs and the anodized treatment. but if i was simply looking for a solid titanium bike and the aesthetics were not the top priority I'd probably go Seven Cycles.

+1 for Seven Cycles. A crew of ex Merlin folks who really led the Ti evolution.

I have an Axiom SL, and just I built up a 622 SLX (carbon tubes with ti lugs and chainstays). Both bikes are absolutely exactly what I was looking for. Custom process was comprehensive without excessive wait times (about 8 weeks in both cases). Also had a Mudhoney SL, but sold it to partially fund the 622. I definitely would take a look at Seven before making a decision.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |