Firefly or Mosaic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

jrobart wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
morrisond wrote:For wait times it will most likely be Shorter with Mosaic - it would be 8-12 weeks not 8-12 months(purely guessing on this I haven't checked with Firefly lately) unless you want to pay Firefly a Premium for an early spot if they still do that.

That being said I'm just in the process of Ordering a Mosaic but i love the Firefly Drop-outs - Works of art.

I got my firefly in way under that time. you don't need to wait 8-12 months. Got mine in under 3. i paid the fee. I love the drop-outs and the anodized treatment. but if i was simply looking for a solid titanium bike and the aesthetics were not the top priority I'd probably go Seven Cycles.

+1 for Seven Cycles. A crew of ex Merlin folks who really led the Ti evolution.

I have an Axiom SL, and just I built up a 622 SLX (carbon tubes with ti lugs and chainstays). Both bikes are absolutely exactly what I was looking for. Custom process was comprehensive without excessive wait times (about 8 weeks in both cases). Also had a Mudhoney SL, but sold it to partially fund the 622. I definitely would take a look at Seven before making a decision.

Seven and Firefly can't give you more different approaches. One is a large shop with tons of support, the other small and very personal approach where you kind of get the soul of the builder. You can't go wrong with either but very different companies. I'd say Firefly is more similar to a Mosaic.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Wingnut wrote:
ewwhite wrote:No.22 Bicycles?

https://22bicycles.com

Agree...these guys make cool bikes!

Thread drift, but I just got a No.22 and it's amazing. Tremendous build quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

j_gantzer
in the industry

by j_gantzer

Moots, quick turn around, proven geometry and they will be around if you ever have an issue.

cadence90

by cadence90

Ha ha, this is so typical of us. A fellow asks for some help deciding between two builders, and ends up getting 100 suggestions...so...my vote is for Kish Fabrication! :D
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I do not think you could go wrong with either builder, but based on what I've seen from Firefly they would be my choice.

joosttx

by joosttx

I own a Mosaic and it is a wonderful bike. I really love it and am very happy with my purchase. My decision point was that their lead time was shorter than FF. I got ny custom Mosaic in under a month.

Danza

by Danza

Unless things have changed, isn't there a not-insignificant cost difference between the two? With Firefly being the more expensive

Cheers!

by Cheers!

Mosaic

dak

by dak

Can anyone with experience on both mosaic and firefly speak to the difference in ride quality? I think the issues of large versus small production and other good points brought up so far are secondary to the differences and ride quality. If they are very similar and ride quality then I would imagine it comes down to aesthetics and the ability to procure a frame in a timely fashion, But if there are big differences in ride quality, then IMO that would be the bigger driver of the decision.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

dak

by dak

P.S. to the OP, I am in the same deliberation but I am also considering the more mainstream Seven and Litespeed T2 in addition to Mosaic and Firefly
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

KarlC

by KarlC

Take a close look at 333Fab - Max Kullaway is well know for being one of the top Ti builders there is, he has and still does build for many big name brands, from Merlin to Seven, Hampsten and others.

http://333fab.com/models

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

morrisond

by morrisond

dak wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:02 pm
Can anyone with experience on both mosaic and firefly speak to the difference in ride quality? I think the issues of large versus small production and other good points brought up so far are secondary to the differences and ride quality. If they are very similar and ride quality then I would imagine it comes down to aesthetics and the ability to procure a frame in a timely fashion, But if there are big differences in ride quality, then IMO that would be the bigger driver of the decision.

That purely comes down to Tube selection. Either can build with the same tubes. If they use the same tubes they will ride the same. That being said I don't think Mosaic likes to use 25mm CS, just 22mm whereas Firefly and Baum seem to like 25mm Cs on bigger bikes.

But either will happily build with 22's. If you are over 200lbs then I would say go for 25's. Under 22's are absolutely fine. Pick the one with the aesthetics you like.

cassard

by cassard

Before going to steel I was looking at titanium since I owned one before.

Firefly is definitely at the top of my list. I like Mosaïc, but firefly as a special place. Yes anodizing, but when you look at the welds it simply take your breath away. As for the rest, every company give you full custom options so I guess it comes to your choice since they are all at the best of the builders right now.

If you want the top of the top, Passoni but they are freakish expensive.

For steel/stainless, I'd go for English Cycles if you have the time to wait. As far as I remember, Rob's queue list is about 18 month.. So an other choice could be SAFFRON.

For paint design, I know you can get a custom paint, but Stinner is something in terms of base idea or options, I know there as been a known problem with a member here (and that's sucks for him), but as far as mine, I'm in love with the paint, it's stunning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinkartin

by martinkartin

Love Mosaic bikes! Another Ti builder I've been looking into for an all road bike is Triton Bikes. Decent price and wait times :wink:
Factor O2 Disc