Which power meter: Sram Red + Stages or Quarq Dzero Sram

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Quarq v Stages

Quarq Dzero SRAM
91%
SRAM Red with Stages
9%

Total votes: 88

TroyQuarq

by TroyQuarq

@Shrike -- We make the SRAM RED DZero and Quarq DZero Carbon power meters in 165mm. Sometimes they are harder to find because 170mm, 172.5mm and 175mm are more popular and therefore more often stocked by resellers. I would recommend you talk to a dealer, like you have, or use SRAM's distributor and dealer locator that I mentioned above.

@moonoi -- The previous generation power meters do not have inherent problems that have not already been solved, such as improvements made to the battery compartment over time. Every power meter that left the factory passed our IPX7 underwater test. The DZero platform is a better all around power meter because Quarq has now made power meters for 10 years and everything we've learnt is in that power meter platform. It has improved measurement, new features such as Bluetooth, and also things we believe make it even more durable.

@michaelten -- The DZero power meter spiders only fit cranks with the 8-bolt interface. You can see the list of compatible cranks on the Quarq website (click Specifications). https://www.quarq.com/store/item/1772/

The 8-bolt interface secures the power meter spider differently than SRAM's traditional 3-bolt interface. Instead of having the spider mesh with the crank arm, the spider is secured with T20 Torx bolts just like a car wheel is centered and secured with its lug nuts/bolts. Doing this promotes accuracy when someone installs a power meter spider outside the factory. When power meter spiders with the 3-bolt interface were installed outside the factory they didn't see huge changes in accuracy, but we advertise +/-1.5% accuracy and wanted to keep that promise. Particularly for the new Quarq Prime Power Ready Cranksets.

The DZero power meter spiders have been made since late August '16 and are available worldwide, in 130 BCD and 110 BCD.

romalor

by romalor

where can we have proof of this supposed accuracy from an independent review ?
they exist for Srm not for quarq

just saw a first ride review by Dcrainmaker that's it .``

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

I really don't understand the hate towards stages.

I've owned Stages Duraace for a year and now have a Quarq DZero 165mm 110bcd BB30 set. Got very close and consistent results with both units. I ride a lot of the same routes with same perceived effort and get very close average power readings with Quarq reading a tad bit less. I'm also somewhat balanced left-right (most rides end up 49%-51%) so maybe that helps?

In any case, I like stages. I find their stages branded crank to be butt ugly. Since I was shopping for a new PM switching from Shimano to SRAM, I wanted to give quarq a try and I'm happy with my current choice as I was happy with Stages.

Bonus: Also used Garmin Vector 2's (version 2) before Stages. Ridiculous added weight and the pods were a joke. Otherwise decent unit.

Power reading highest to lowest : Vector 2 >>>>>>>>> Stages > Quarq

leicaman

by leicaman

TroyQuarq wrote:@moonoi -- Excellent. You should hear positive news. SRAM's Asian service centre informed us that a repair sounding like yours has been completed.

@leicaman

The SRAM RED DZero and Quarq DZero Carbon power meters both use Exogram carbon crank arms. They are identical power meters except that SRAM RED DZero has SRAM RED graphics and a spider with the hidden bolt (HB) pattern. Quarq DZero Carbon has Quarq graphics and either a non-hidden bolt (NHB) or hidden bolt (HB) spider. The prices are the same.

Quarq DZero Aluminum uses aluminum crank arms. It is heavier but with a lower price. The power meter spider itself is the same. The materials and measurement technology are the same across the entire DZero range.

We have been making and shipping the DZero platform since late August '16. You can use SRAM's dealer locator to find a bike shop or distributor in your region. https://www.sram.com/find-dealer/ Since you mentioned Starbike, I will assume you are in Germany. SRAM distributor, Hartje, carries the complete range of SRAM and Quarq power meters and can direct you to a dealer. http://www.hartje.de Should you wish to buy online, Bike-Components has the DZero range. As do several other online retailers in mainland Europe and the UK.

Thanks for the reply. I contacted Starbike and asked if they were able to get the Dzero red cranks. They told me that it had been an oversight and that they have now added the Dzero to their website. Unfortunately they said that they won't be getting them in until the first week in April. My new beautiful custom Field Cycles is going to have to wait for a couple of months. No chance you could swipe one from another order and send it over to Starbike could you ? ;)

anlimdy22

by anlimdy22

gurk700 wrote:I really don't understand the hate towards stages.

I've owned Stages Duraace for a year and now have a Quarq DZero 165mm 110bcd BB30 set. Got very close and consistent results with both units. I ride a lot of the same routes with same perceived effort and get very close average power readings with Quarq reading a tad bit less. I'm also somewhat balanced left-right (most rides end up 49%-51%) so maybe that helps?

In any case, I like stages. I find their stages branded crank to be butt ugly. Since I was shopping for a new PM switching from Shimano to SRAM, I wanted to give quarq a try and I'm happy with my current choice as I was happy with Stages.

Bonus: Also used Garmin Vector 2's (version 2) before Stages. Ridiculous added weight and the pods were a joke. Otherwise decent unit.

Power reading highest to lowest : Vector 2 >>>>>>>>> Stages > Quarq

what is the weight for Dzero BB30 165mm crankset?

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

TroyQuarq

by TroyQuarq

@gurk700 -- The GXP weights are on the Quarq website. Click on the Specifications tab under each product. Weights shown are for 172.5mm. BB30 is nearly the same for power meters because they use a longer spindle and removable spacers that make them compatible with BB30, BBright and BB386EVO. 165mm would save a few grams but it would not be a significant change. I'm on the road but could weigh one when I'm back in the office.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

I personally own a stages for dura ace and it is not what I expected. Using a Garmin 510, the ANT+ signal is super weak. It constantly drops indoors and sometimes does not work period. This makes trainer rides frustrating. It generally works fine outdoors, but I have noticed in group rides it often needs to reset itself. I would spend a little more on a PM that is not gonna give you problems.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

gurk700

by gurk700

rossjm11 wrote:I personally own a stages for dura ace and it is not what I expected. Using a Garmin 510, the ANT+ signal is super weak. It constantly drops indoors and sometimes does not work period. This makes trainer rides frustrating. It generally works fine outdoors, but I have noticed in group rides it often needs to reset itself. I would spend a little more on a PM that is not gonna give you problems.

Be careful indoors as Ant+ is known to get confused with all the wireless signals going on. In a year of riding Stages I had absolutely 0 drops. Not kidding. I have whole rides with 0 power data on the Garmin Vectors on the other hand.

Quarq so far is perfect as well. No drops what so ever.

Shrike

by Shrike

Still waiting on the Quarq's coming available here. The SRAM's are forged/etched on, so the 8 bolts definitely don't work. Quarq's Dzero marketing lists SRAM's RED eTap graphics crankset as being compatible at all retailers and retailers are saying you can fit it. But you definitely can't. Caused me no end of hassle going back and forth over the past few weeks, with Wiggle definitely telling me a number of times it would work.

Of course as soon as you get your hands on a SRAM crankset, you can see there's no 8 bolt update or any nonsense. It's forged.

Really think Quarq should delete their 'compatibility list'.

Delorre

by Delorre

gurk700 wrote:
rossjm11 wrote:I personally own a stages for dura ace and it is not what I expected. Using a Garmin 510, the ANT+ signal is super weak. It constantly drops indoors and sometimes does not work period. This makes trainer rides frustrating. It generally works fine outdoors, but I have noticed in group rides it often needs to reset itself. I would spend a little more on a PM that is not gonna give you problems.

Be careful indoors as Ant+ is known to get confused with all the wireless signals going on. In a year of riding Stages I had absolutely 0 drops. Not kidding. I have whole rides with 0 power data on the Garmin Vectors on the other hand.

Experienced the same issues when sending music to the home stereo with bluetooth during my first training sessions on the rollers : Lots of drop outs from power, speed,... all ant+ signals. Connected pc with HDMI, and not one issue for the rest of my training that day and for almost 1 year.

For me, Stages V2 have been performing really well for most than a year now: consitant, reliable, light and reasonably affordable. It's maybe not 100% accurate, but if consitant, that's OK to track own progress and do workouts based on power. I own a Drivo since last week, and seems Stages reads low on power, but being left side only, its possible my left - right balance is not 50 - 50 %, so nothing I can fault Stages for :wink:

kulivontot

by kulivontot

+1 for stages gen1 dropping ant+ signals indoors with edge 500. Head unit picks up HR and speed just fine so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I ride zwift with a USB extension directly under the BB, so that issue is solved, but it makes me nervous to ride outside if there's a risk of dropping data.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

My Stage PM is Gen 2 and drops indoors. Nothing I can turn off, but I live in an area with lots of wifi signals and such.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

gurk700 wrote:I really don't understand the hate towards stages.

No hate just a statement that I have had three of them and they all failed because of the dreaded battery drain issue. The positives are that it is very easy to move around bikes, Stages customer service is superb, the reading are consistent, and they are good value. Even the 'battery drain problem' is not a complete write off as you can just take the battery out after a ride until you get your replacement meaning you still have use of a PM.

I just can't recommend them as three failures is two too many in my book. Also literally everyone who has had these PMs in my club have had the same problem.

sd5500

by sd5500

Shrike wrote:@Troy

are you not making 165mm SRAM eTap Dzero's?

Asked Wiggle and they said no, they won't be stocking any.

Is there anywhere that has a 165mm SRAM eTap Dzero GXP in stock if you are making them?

I just ordered that exact one (its 130 for my 53/39 rings) last night from clevertraining.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leicaman

by leicaman

Perhaps a stupid question but am I right in saying that the the Quarq SRAM red Dzero is compatible with etap? I have etap and don't want any nasty surprises when the power meter arrives.

Cheers