Which power meter: Sram Red + Stages or Quarq Dzero Sram

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Quarq v Stages

Quarq Dzero SRAM
91%
SRAM Red with Stages
9%

Total votes: 88

GambadiLegno

by GambadiLegno

I use Stages in FSA SLK crankset. First one, problem draining batteries, probably because of water or humidity. They changed it for another new one in 10 days. I'm happy with it, for that price, it's a good PM.

moonoi

by moonoi

My sram red Quarq is a pile of junk, returns ridiculous offset numbers during calibration and then either under or over reads power. Sent it back end of October for replacement and still waiting. A friend has had exactly the same issue with his twice and is now looking at replacing it with a Stages or 4iiii after he receives his 2nd warranty replacement and sells it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

leicaman

by leicaman

sugarkane wrote:Got a red quarq and the new D zero.. no contest on the stages.. one is a tool the other is a toy

I'm guessing you a referring to the stages as the toy then?

What is the difference between the red quarq and the D zero? Can you use either? I have SRAM red etap and was looking at getting a power meter but I'm a little confused by the different quarq models there are.

moonoi

by moonoi

leicaman wrote:
sugarkane wrote:Got a red quarq and the new D zero.. no contest on the stages.. one is a tool the other is a toy

I'm guessing you a referring to the stages as the toy then?

What is the difference between the red quarq and the D zero? Can you use either? I have SRAM red etap and was looking at getting a power meter but I'm a little confused by the different quarq models there are.

Dzero has Bluetooth, and that's pretty much it in terms of differences.

TroyQuarq

by TroyQuarq

Hi moonoi. The Quarq factory does repairs or services within 3 days, plus shipping. The Customer Service team goes through pending shipments weekly. Please contact them on thinkfast@quarq.com if you've had a repair pending since October. That's really strange. We're sorry that happened and want to fix it.

Hi leicaman. The main differences are that the SRAM RED DZero power meter uses a hidden chainring bolt, which makes it directly compatible with SRAM's 11-speed chainrings that come on a bike or you buy as an upgrade. It also has graphics that match the SRAM RED eTap wireless and mechanical groupsets. The Quarq DZero power meters come with Exogram carbon (like RED) or lower-priced aluminum crank arms and use traditional 130 BCD or 110 BCD 5-bolt chainring bolt patterns, making them compatible with more chainrings. The power meter spiders used on all models are identical.

Other changes on the DZero platform, versus previous generation Quarq power meters, include an improved measurement circuit and electronics, which relies even less on active temperature compensation; a vent and gore patch so any moisture inside the power meter can quickly escape, and, in conjunction with that, we waterproof the circuit board for even greater durability and longevity.

Troy@Quarq

Shrike

by Shrike

@Troy

any chance you can fast-track me a 165mm Dzero SRAM?

TroyQuarq

by TroyQuarq

@Shrike

Are you located in the USA? If so, email the Customer Service team on thinkfast@quarq.com. They may be able to assist you.

Shrike

by Shrike

@Troy

UK unfortunately :|

moonoi

by moonoi

@Troy I contacted my LBS who is handling the warranty claim (and who is also one of the Thai distributors), they are following up, so I hope to have some news soon.

leicaman

by leicaman

TroyQuarq wrote:Hi moonoi. The Quarq factory does repairs or services within 3 days, plus shipping. The Customer Service team goes through pending shipments weekly. Please contact them on thinkfast@quarq.com if you've had a repair pending since October. That's really strange. We're sorry that happened and want to fix it.

Hi leicaman. The main differences are that the SRAM RED DZero power meter uses a hidden chainring bolt, which makes it directly compatible with SRAM's 11-speed chainrings that come on a bike or you buy as an upgrade. It also has graphics that match the SRAM RED eTap wireless and mechanical groupsets. The Quarq DZero power meters come with Exogram carbon (like RED) or lower-priced aluminum crank arms and use traditional 130 BCD or 110 BCD 5-bolt chainring bolt patterns, making them compatible with more chainrings. The power meter spiders used on all models are identical.

Other changes on the DZero platform, versus previous generation Quarq power meters, include an improved measurement circuit and electronics, which relies even less on active temperature compensation; a vent and gore patch so any moisture inside the power meter can quickly escape, and, in conjunction with that, we waterproof the circuit board for even greater durability and longevity.

Troy@Quarq

Thanks fro the reply. SO am I right in saying that the Red Dzero and Quarq Dzero GXP (hidden bolt type) only differ in the crank arms ? I'd just be paying a little more for the red crank arms? Are quarq shipping these out to retailers at the moment? I can't find stock of any 172.5mm GXP anywhere online and starbike says delivery unknown.

Thanks

TroyQuarq

by TroyQuarq

@moonoi -- Excellent. You should hear positive news. SRAM's Asian service centre informed us that a repair sounding like yours has been completed.

@leicaman

The SRAM RED DZero and Quarq DZero Carbon power meters both use Exogram carbon crank arms. They are identical power meters except that SRAM RED DZero has SRAM RED graphics and a spider with the hidden bolt (HB) pattern. Quarq DZero Carbon has Quarq graphics and either a non-hidden bolt (NHB) or hidden bolt (HB) spider. The prices are the same.

Quarq DZero Aluminum uses aluminum crank arms. It is heavier but with a lower price. The power meter spider itself is the same. The materials and measurement technology are the same across the entire DZero range.

We have been making and shipping the DZero platform since late August '16. You can use SRAM's dealer locator to find a bike shop or distributor in your region. https://www.sram.com/find-dealer/ Since you mentioned Starbike, I will assume you are in Germany. SRAM distributor, Hartje, carries the complete range of SRAM and Quarq power meters and can direct you to a dealer. http://www.hartje.de Should you wish to buy online, Bike-Components has the DZero range. As do several other online retailers in mainland Europe and the UK.

Shrike

by Shrike

@Troy

are you not making 165mm SRAM eTap Dzero's?

Asked Wiggle and they said no, they won't be stocking any.

Is there anywhere that has a 165mm SRAM eTap Dzero GXP in stock if you are making them?

moonoi

by moonoi

@Troy

Hope to have some good news soon.

Out of interest, is this a known issue with the last generation Quarq? I've had this failure, and there have been 2 more exactly the same over the last 10 months in my club, which seems to be a quite high rate.

michaelten

by michaelten

Shrike- you can buy the dzero spider and a set of 165mm cranks separate. Any of the SRAM cranks with removable spider will take the dzero spider.

Shrike

by Shrike

@ michael those spiders alone aren't available anywhere in 110 BCD it seems either!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com