Which power meter: Sram Red + Stages or Quarq Dzero Sram

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Quarq v Stages

Quarq Dzero SRAM
91%
SRAM Red with Stages
9%

Total votes: 88

gtinut

by gtinut

Stages uses FSA arm with new axle since FSA's and Sram's spline is different. I never had a chance to compare on since most people I know use Shimano or Quarq.

jlok

by jlok

gurk700 wrote:Excuse my weak legs. But here's 2 rides. First one with Stages Duraace version 2. Second with Quarq DZero. Exact same route except where I hit start and stop is off by a few seconds. Elevation discrepancy is cause of my Garmin. You be the judge!

Regarding the L/R balance issue, I guess one ride isn't enough to judge.

I have Vector 2 and found that the balance could be different between different activities (say 1hr training ride vs 2hrs+ racing).
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I sanded the stages logo off my stages carbon arm. The carbon is quite different from the etap but when do you ever see both crankarms sideon simultaneously on a bike.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gurk700

by gurk700

jlok wrote:
gurk700 wrote:Excuse my weak legs. But here's 2 rides. First one with Stages Duraace version 2. Second with Quarq DZero. Exact same route except where I hit start and stop is off by a few seconds. Elevation discrepancy is cause of my Garmin. You be the judge!

Regarding the L/R balance issue, I guess one ride isn't enough to judge.

I have Vector 2 and found that the balance could be different between different activities (say 1hr training ride vs 2hrs+ racing).

I've used Vector 2 for about a year before this ride (before I gave it to my brother) and I can honestly say the differences were negligible.
99% of the rides were 51% left 49% right for me.

Everybody is different though, obviously.

jeffy

by jeffy

having had p1 PM my experience was that my balance is 45-46 Left @ ~z2/z3 and levels out to 50%+/-0.5% at FTP

i am certainly not saying that one-side is useless as a training tool, but complete power is better for sure.

Currently on P2M

jlok

by jlok

gurk700 wrote:
jlok wrote:

Everybody is different though, obviously.

exactly that. that's why single-sided power meter are much cheaper.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Shrike

by Shrike

Went with Rotor INpower in the end for her bike. It's reading 10% higher than the Tacx Neo.

I have the same power meter on my bike and it's also reading around 10% higher than the Neo.

Not sure if the Rotors are over-reporting or the Neo is under-reporting.

moonoi

by moonoi

Quarq has big issue. "Can't zero"

So I recommend "Stages"

See I can do that too.

Personally I just sold my Quarq DZero, whilst their customer service is excellent, I've had nothing but trouble with it, whereas for me at least, I've had no issues with Stages or InPower, and both track within 2-5% of each other on the same route in similar conditions, so I'm also confident in its accuracy. I'd add that the Quarq was also with in the same range, before I ended up having issues with weird zero offset numbers and then correspondingly weird power numbers (either too high, or too low)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Signal drop out on stages in my exlerience is always a poor battery contact. If the catches are broken replacement the battery door for dmfree at any dealer, use electical tape temporarily if they fon't have one. If the door is okay, pry up the contacts underneath the battery
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leicaman

by leicaman

My Quarq Dzero finally arrived a few days ago. Installed it yesterday which was a bit of a faff because I needed a bench vice to crimp the Kurled nut into the chainring. I didn't have a bench vice so tried to wing it by using a G clamp. That was a complete waste of time so I ended up buying a bench vice. I was going to go out for a first ride with it today but it has been raining all morning so that will ahve to wait. One thing I did notice is that the left crank arm is a differnet shape to my previous red crank that came with my etap. The crank arm that came with the power meter has a thicker aluminuim plate on the back which makes the crank stick out from the BB more. The arm does seem a differnet shape to the previous crank arm so I'm guessing they will position the pedal in the same place.

This is the Dzero Red crank arm

And here is the original crank arm

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Those hidden chainring nuts are a total PITA. Considering how clever the folks at SRAM are, I have to believe there's a better way to achieve the same affect. One note, be sure to check the torque of your chainring bolts every "now and then". Mine seem to be off perhaps 1-2 ft/lb after about 500 miles, which I believe does affect the accuracy of the PM.

addictR1

by addictR1

any battery drain issue with the Quarq Dzero SRAM?
currently running Stages PM Rival gen2 and still have battery drain issue... :(

kookie

by kookie

addictR1 wrote:any battery drain issue with the Quarq Dzero SRAM?

I had a battery draining issue when I bought my Dzero last July. After installing the PM, a brand new battery would drain without even riding it (just sitting on a bike rack). yada yada yada...eventually Quarq sent me a new one (just got it this week). So far so good, the battery LED is still green but haven't ridden with it yet.

addictR1

by addictR1

kookie wrote:
addictR1 wrote:any battery drain issue with the Quarq Dzero SRAM?

I had a battery draining issue when I bought my Dzero last July. After installing the PM, a brand new battery would drain without even riding it (just sitting on a bike rack). yada yada yada...eventually Quarq sent me a new one (just got it this week). So far so good, the battery LED is still green but haven't ridden with it yet.

oh wow.. i would think battery drain issues should be easily resolved.. but seems it doesn't know when to shut down. :( that's kinda like my stages.. even if i roll my bike around in the house, a week later, the battery is dead. :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

no to stages. that's a given.