Tire Choice for Giant SLR 0 Carbon Wheels - 23mm width

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

amtbr

by amtbr

So I have some Giant SLR 0 Carbon wheels that came with my TCR Advanced Pro 0 and I cannot for the life of me find good tires that I can easily mount on these rims. The stock Giant tires that came with it were 23 mm and mounted really easily, but they wore out extremely fast. According to Giant's website, they are 23mm wide and are also tubeless ready. I have tried Conti GP 4000s II at 23 mm and some 4-Seasons at 28 mm as well as Michelin Pro 4 at 25 mm. Both of the Conti's were a nightmare to mount, yes I know how to mount tires, and I don't want to deal with a horrible mounting situation on the side of the road when I get a flat. The Michelin fares slightly better, but is still extremely difficult to get on but can be done. Oddly the Michelin at 25 mm measures almost a 29 when mounted and handles horribly. I completely gave up on the Conti 4-Seasons, even at 28 mm, couldn't get em on. To me it seems like the difficulty is the extra lip or hook at the top of the rim, I've never had fancy wheels like these, just junky mavics.

I am looking at the Vittoria Corsa G in 23 or 25 and Specialized Turbo S-Works. Anyone have ideas or suggestions? I am looking for some good summer tires that are duable, ie not race day only tires. I'd rather avoid costly purchases that I can't use or require superhuman hands to mount. Thanks

nemeseri

by nemeseri

While I've never owned a tubeless rim, they usually have a central channel in the middle of the rim you can push the clincher bead into. This helps with mounting the tires. HED made a video showing this in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-XFMGDO2rA

I also used to have a very tight fulcrum rim I had problems to mount my gp4000 on. I started to cary this on longer rural rides:
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-B ... B001AYML7K

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Wait, you are trying to mount Continental 4000 SII tire on the tubeless Giant SLR wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

martroy

by martroy

I have the same wheels on my TCR Advanced SL and didn't have problems mounting Continental GP4000S II clinchers on them (23mm front, 25mm rear). In fact, they where a lot easier to mount on the SLR 0 compared to my previous carbon clinchers.

As others suggested, the center channel of the wheel is your friend. Also, start from the opposite of the valve stem.

Another trick I've used in the past was to stretch the tire on another set of wheels on which they are easier to mount. I've left them for some time at 120-130 psi. They where a lot easier to mount after that...

upside

by upside

Have a set of Schwalbe Pro Ones mounted on the same wheels and no issues. As previous posts have mentioned, use the center channel.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

martroy wrote:Another trick I've used in the past was to stretch the tire on another set of wheels on which they are easier to mount. I've left them for some time at 120-130 psi. They where a lot easier to mount after that...

This works really well with Michelin Pro4's they do get bigger though.
Ride it like you stole it

amtbr

by amtbr

mpulsiv wrote:Wait, you are trying to mount Continental 4000 SII tire on the tubeless Giant SLR wheel?

Its "tubeless" ready. So I guess I can convert them to tubeless with the appropriate tire? Alright guys, I'll work on my technique. I thought I knew how to mount tires. So much swearing trying to mount the Conti 4-Seasons and blisters on my thumbs yesterday... Thank you to everyone who chimed in.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

amtbr wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:Wait, you are trying to mount Continental 4000 SII tire on the tubeless Giant SLR wheel?

Its "tubeless" ready. So I guess I can convert them to tubeless with the appropriate tire? Alright guys, I'll work on my technique. I thought I knew how to mount tires. So much swearing trying to mount the Conti 4-Seasons and blisters on my thumbs yesterday... Thank you to everyone who chimed in.

Giant SLR wheel is tubeless. Continental tires are not tubeless so put them aside. Schwalbe Pro One tubeless is a fantastic tire www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-b ... eless-2016

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Marin

by Marin

Mounting tires on tubeless rims is actually easier than on regular ones - if you know how to do it. I always mount my tires WITHOUT tire levers now because I can and to protect my latex tubes.

The trick is to push the bead into the central channel all around the rim (repeatedly) so the yet-unmounted part of the bead becomes that little bit slacker until you can push it over the hook with your fingers.

With the same trick, I can also remove most tires without levers.

Marin

by Marin

If the 1st bead goes onto the rim without levers, there's no reason the 2nd one won't.

htc

by htc

I run Conti GP4000s II on my SLR0 Aero Wheels, they were a bugger to fit first time around, but the tire will stretch over time anyway - as said above the central groove really is your friend on these wheels.

samuel86

by samuel86

I have the same SLR0 30mm clinchers on my TCR ADV PRO 0. Changing a flat tire is a bitch! I have just swapped from my second pair of Giant P-SLR 1 23c to Continental GP 4000s ii 25c and they were hard to get on. Actually its almost impossible to get a tire lever under the tire lip to pry it off. I am glad someone else is having as much difficulty as what I deal with haha.

amtbr

by amtbr

samuel86 wrote:I have the same SLR0 30mm clinchers on my TCR ADV PRO 0. Changing a flat tire is a bitch! I have just swapped from my second pair of Giant P-SLR 1 23c to Continental GP 4000s ii 25c and they were hard to get on. Actually its almost impossible to get a tire lever under the tire lip to pry it off. I am glad someone else is having as much difficulty as what I deal with haha.

So I had an old GP II 4000 in 23 laying around and I managed to mount it after watching the videos posted on this thread, but shit it wasn't easy. I'm hoping to find some magical tire in 23 or 25 that will mount somewhat easily to these rims. Getting it on at home is one thing, on the side of the road is another...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com