Tire Choice for Giant SLR 0 Carbon Wheels - 23mm width

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

amtbr

by amtbr

oraclesin wrote:I recommend Schwalbe One.

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... 00,4,22,35

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you tried the 25 version on these rims?

fourspin

by fourspin

Hey there, I just purchased a TCR Advanced Pro 0 with the same wheels. I have some Schwalbe Pro One 28mm on order...but I never really checked to see if they will have enough clearance. Anyone have experience?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amtbr

by amtbr

fourspin wrote:Hey there, I just purchased a TCR Advanced Pro 0 with the same wheels. I have some Schwalbe Pro One 28mm on order...but I never really checked to see if they will have enough clearance. Anyone have experience?

I would guess they would fit. I had the Michelin Pro 4 at 25 mm on there before and they looked way bigger than 25, probably 28 and it fit fine.

As an update, I managed to mount 23 mm Continental Grandprix 4ks on my wheels just fine. They feel larger than 23, but I don't have a caliper so can't say for sure. I liked the ride quality of the Michelin's better, but disliked the Michelin's handling. I suspect this was due to the massive ballooning on the rims, 23 mm Pro 4's would probably be great. The Conti's let a lot more road chatter through, even at 90 / 85 PSI. I got them on by using the techniques listed in this thread and what really helped was finishing at the valve stem. I also let them sit at 120 psi when I first mounted them to hopefully stretch for the inevitable road side flat repair.

fourspin

by fourspin

Thanks amtbr. I ordered both 25 and 28 Pro Ones, will report back on my findings. I've found a few videos on Youtube that make me think 28 is not going to work...mostly due to the height of the tire more than the width.

Beaver

by Beaver

I only run these wheels with 23mm Conti 4000S II. As these wheels are "only" 17C you should use a wider rim for wider tires. A 25mm Conti 4000S II will be 28,5mm wide on a 21C rim and you can run the same low pressure as on a "real" 28mm tire on a 17C rim.

BUT you won't compromise on handling and rolling resistance - this will be a much better combination. And tire height wouldn't be a problem, too. :)

fourspin

by fourspin

Thanks, Beaver. I had my first ride today on the stock 23 Giant P-SLR's on our less than perfect Denver roads. I was expecting the tires to be pretty punishing, but they weren't too bad. I suspect a nicer tire in a 23 would be fine. I'll still experiment by mounting the Schwalbe 25's to see how they fit.

Delorre

by Delorre

fourspin wrote:Hey there, I just purchased a TCR Advanced Pro 0 with the same wheels. I have some Schwalbe Pro One 28mm on order...but I never really checked to see if they will have enough clearance. Anyone have experience?

Pro one 28 are huge tyres!! Saw them on a Synapse disc lately, and they seemed to be the same volume as a gp4000s 28mm, so at least 30mm wide on a 17c rim...

fourspin

by fourspin

Got the 25's today, going to try to mount them. I haven't even looked, do I have to tape these rims to set them up tubeless, or are they fully ready?

Beaver

by Beaver

You need to use tape: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/on-ro ... ide-orange

But if you didn't remove it, it should be installed. :)

wingguy

by wingguy

Marin wrote:Mounting tires on tubeless rims is actually easier than on regular ones - if you know how to do it. I always mount my tires WITHOUT tire levers now because I can and to protect my latex tubes.

The trick is to push the bead into the central channel all around the rim (repeatedly) so the yet-unmounted part of the bead becomes that little bit slacker until you can push it over the hook with your fingers.

I mount tyres on normal clincher rims that way without tyre levers too. Lots of people do.

fourspin

by fourspin

Beaver wrote:You need to use tape: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/on-ro ... ide-orange

But if you didn't remove it, it should be installed. :)

Thanks, Beaver. I found a video from Giant on Youtube last night with their instructions on mounting. I think my wheels only have the blue fabric tape so I'll have to install the tape. I ordered the narrow tape, which claims to support 16-20mm interior rim widths.

htc

by htc

23mm Conti GP4000s ii's come in at 24.5ish on my Giant SLR0 rims at about 110psi.

Jju3jin

by Jju3jin

I recommend GAVIA (Giant tubless ready tyre)
My wheel is SLR1 climing carbon.
My uphill record (2.5km avg6%)
Giant default tyre(front) and continental(rear) - 9:42
Giant GAVIA SLR - 8:58