Sram Red BB30 cranks & BB30A

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

meanmachine

by meanmachine

Hi
Im building my new bike a Cannondale Supersix Evo 2016 frame which has BB30A (73mm wide)
I have a Sram Red 2012 group set with a BB30 crank set which was mounted on a Supersix evo 2015 (68mm wide BB30) and a Sworks Tarmac (61.5mm wide OSBB).

Im sure that the preload ring (non drive side) must be removed in order to get the 30mm spindle as long as as possible but ,,,,a wave washer and shims will be needed ????

thks
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2017-01-24 a las 18.39.12.png

deek

by deek

Yes. You need something to preload the bearings and the adjuster is too wide for BB30A. You need the shims to dial in the preload just right as the spring has a lot less range than the adjuster.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octave

by octave

i am currently in the same situation-- trying to fit a SRAM Red BB30 crank (the newest model with graphics to match etap) to a 2016 hi-mod frame. i don't have the crank yet, but i am gathering info for when the time comes to mount it.

so, will shims alone work, or is it advisable to have a wave washer, too?

thanks!

o

grover

by grover

On the current model SRAM BB30 cranks there is a preload ring and a 5mm spacer on the non-drive side. All you need to do is remove the 5mm spacer and install with only the preload ring.

The drive side spacers get installed as normal.

For the 2012 crankset is there a 5mm spacer too or just the preload ring? If just the preload ring then remove it and install with just a wavy washer. You may need 1 or 2 0.5mm micro shims to get wavy washer compression right but try without first.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I have Red 22 BB30 Exogram cranks on a 2016 SS Evo Hi Mod, which is PF30A. All I have is a wavy washer on the NDS. I took off the preload ring thats on the spindle from the factory.

octave

by octave

dudemanppl wrote:I have Red 22 BB30 Exogram cranks on a 2016 SS Evo Hi Mod, which is PF30A. All I have is a wavy washer on the NDS. I took off the preload ring thats on the spindle from the factory.

+1

just built up a 2016 hi-mod with the PF30a, and i did exactly as dudemanppl did -- remove the preload ring, put wavy washer on NDS, and away i went. no problems.

thanks, by the way, dudemanppl-- saved myself 75 grams over the stock hollowgram crank!

trillian

by trillian

Hi All,

Hey, sorry to revisit but just found this threat. I'm doing a similar set-up with my new 2017 Supersix Evo hi mod frame and trying to figure out what crankset to go with the frame + eTap setup (and for some reason in France you can only buy Sram red complete kits with BB30 so now I have to get all the bits and pieces separately). Essentially, if I go for the Sram red crankset then I'll just need to buy a PF30a BB separately and it'll be good to go with the spacer swapped out?

(also, my old Synapse has a FSA-SLK crankset that I'd thought about putting on in the meantime but I'm guessing it won't fit as it's for a BB30)

Thanks in advance to all those more mechanically advanced than me!!

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

See here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=144719

I am not a SRAM person, but a SRAM BB30 crankset that comes with a pre-load collar fitted can be made to fit BB30A. You just remove the pre-load collar and use a wave washer instead, adding other spacers as necessary.

Your old FSA crankset probably won't fit - the axle will probably not be long enough. FSA has since moved to BB386, which is really just an extra long 30mm.

floriansantana

by floriansantana

Hi all,

same question regarding the new Sram Red AXS or Force AXS. If I want to fit either of those cranksets into the new SystemSix framesets (it has the PF30A BB in 73mm width) it will work just the way it is described above, right? Remove the preloader and fit a wavy washer on it and it should work, right?

Thanks in advance!
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com