Looking for forum members' input (bike fit data)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fa63

by fa63

Hey all,

I have been collecting published data on pro bike fit measurements for a while now. Some of you may have already seen the chart as it was discussed here previously (though a long time ago). If not, here is a link to my blog post, which has some additional data / most up-to-date charts as well:

http://ft-atalay.blogspot.com/2012/03/pro-bike-fit.html

Anyways, I think it would be neat to have a database where one can go to find riders of similar proportions, and see how their fit compares to theirs, as well to that of the professionals (not that it necessarily means anything). So I have created a Google spreadsheet where you can enter your information if you would like. Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13dnKstwHLiEdOqW7YqjvFiHm4_cAmR4CIRVe0I8l5xU/edit?usp=sharing

I had already gotten info from some forum members as part of a previous discussion, which I have already input into the spreadsheet. Feel free to update if those have changed.

Mods: I put this here to get more exposure, but feel free to move it if you think this thread doesn't belong here.

Cheers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Why does it ask for penis measurement and phone number?

fa63

by fa63

Sarcasm doesn't come across well on the internet, so not sure if serious...

Anyways, rest assured that genital size or phone number are not requested :)

Shrike

by Shrike

Just messin', will fill in deets tonight :P

peted76

by peted76

done

fogman

by fogman

I have added my measurements to your database. This is useful information. In addition to estimated saddle height and reach, can you also add a column for estimated handlebar drop under average trendline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

fa63

by fa63

I went ahead and added an "estimated drop" column. However, keep in mind that there is a very weak correlation between rider height and drop, so the results are to be taken with an extra grain of salt.

Cheers.

fa63

by fa63

Giving this a friendly bump.

joejack951

by joejack951

Added my data for what it's worth. Interesting to browse through the data, and useful for me to document my own bike.

mythical

by mythical

I was happy to assist with such an interesting request. Curious about other riders, I checked the data out just now and, assuming others also entered their data factually, realized that I must have an extreme riding position.

The person I know who comes closest to my bike fit is Jure Berk. He is a few cm taller than me with a few cm shorter inseam and rides the same seat height as I do. His reach is also similar to mine except his handlebar drop is about 2cm less.

On the spreadsheet it seems my bike has both the longest reach and most extreme drop (due to my huge ape factor). I also have the lowest seat height to inseam measurement. What's interesting is perhaps to add shoe size, since it is a factor. My shoe size is US9/42.5 for 1m83/6‘0“ and almost everyone my height I've ever known has longer feet, yet my feet don't look small.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

fa63

by fa63

I should have created another "body proportions" choice for riders like you; both long legs and long arms :)

And you are right; there are many factors that this database is leaving out (such as feet size, whether you pedals heel down/heels up, etc.), but I think it is still interesting nonetheless.

fa63

by fa63

Giving this a bump, in case anyone else would like to contribute.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Added! Looking forward to seeing the sorted results.

Thanks for putting this spreadsheet together.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Added my data as well. Great idea!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Thanks all!

sanrensho wrote:Added! Looking forward to seeing the sorted results.

Saw your entry; is your reach really 62.2 cm from tip of saddle to center of handlebar? Just confirming; if true, you are quite the outlier :)