Lightweight Trackframeset suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JLS

by JLS

Looking for a new build to keep me occupied and somthing for 2017 hill climb season.

Anyone got any good reccomendations for a lightweight track frame?

Cheers,
J

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Why a track frame? Track frames aren't usually very light.

JLS

by JLS

wingguy wrote:Why a track frame? Track frames aren't usually very light.

Just fancy building somthing different really and want to try riding fixed up some of my local hill climbs.

I am struggling to find a lightweight track frame though they dont seem to exist the best so far seems to be a dolan seta carbon frame.

joec

by joec

yeah they are normally made pretty sturdy, although my bike is alloy and only has one brake its about 8.6 kg...

wingguy

by wingguy

JLS wrote:I am struggling to find a lightweight track frame though they dont seem to exist

No kidding. Tracks don't have hills.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Track frame on the road is the worst idea. Take a look at road geometry vs. track geometry. In layman terms, track frame on the road will be twitchy and unstable. Track frames also have shorter headtube so get used to ride with flat back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

JLS

by JLS

mpulsiv wrote:Track frame on the road is the worst idea. Take a look at road geometry vs. track geometry. In layman terms, track frame on the road will be twitchy and unstable. Track frames also have shorter headtube so get used to ride with flat back.

It would only be used for short efforts on hills plus it would be used with a bull horn bar so would be similar in terms of geo to my road bikebecause i have very short legs and a long torso with short arms.

Dalai

by Dalai

Nothing wrong with using a track geometry frameset on the road. Asssuming JLS is in the UK where hill climbs are frequent and often climbed on built for purpose fixed bikes.

Definitely going to be hard finding a light frame with horizontal dropouts...

LouisN

by LouisN

Search for a road frame ans use a light Chain tensionner. There, you just saved about a pound.
Louis :)

JLS

by JLS

Dalai wrote:Nothing wrong with using a track geometry frameset on the road. Asssuming JLS is in the UK where hill climbs are frequent and often climbed on built for purpose fixed bikes.

Definitely going to be hard finding a light frame with horizontal dropouts...

Yer UK based hill climb season is popular here and getting even more popular.
Seems impossible the dolan is around 1000g which i could strip the paint and use a lighter fork to bring down.

LouisN wrote:Search for a road frame ans use a light Chain tensionner. There, you just saved about a pound.
Louis :)

That could be a good idea but im not sure how well that deals with 500+ watts on short climbs and also im guessing the extra friction will mean a minor loss in efficiency which u gain from running fixed.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

mpulsiv wrote:Track frame on the road is the worst idea. Take a look at road geometry vs. track geometry. In layman terms, track frame on the road will be twitchy and unstable. Track frames also have shorter headtube so get used to ride with flat back.

With respect, that's ballcocks....

I ride a dolan track frame on the road and its handling is impeccable.
Official cafe stop tester

Christono

by Christono

some inspo if you haven't already seen, watch part 2 as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb6pLWmdbxA

JLS

by JLS

Christono wrote:some inspo if you haven't already seen, watch part 2 as well

Yer that is one of the reasons that i want to build a fixed bike for hill climb season now :D

That frame is beautiful wish there was somthing similar i could get off the shelf and not custom made.

So far it is between dolan carbon track frame or possibly a chinese open mold which weighs 1000g.

righty

by righty

Track frame on the road is the worst idea. Take a look at road geometry vs. track geometry. In layman terms, track frame on the road will be twitchy and unstable. Track frames also have shorter headtube so get used to ride with flat back.

With respect, that's ballcocks....

+100

Assume you want a fixed wheel, if so I would just use a light road frame, you can pick up used scott addicts relatively cheap and around 800 grams for an isp model.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

JLS wrote:
Christono wrote:some inspo if you haven't already seen, watch part 2 as well

Yer that is one of the reasons that i want to build a fixed bike for hill climb season now :D

That frame is beautiful wish there was somthing similar i could get off the shelf and not custom made.

So far it is between dolan carbon track frame or possibly a chinese open mold which weighs 1000g.

And after all that effort, he explains why he will likely use a road bike in the majority of events