Closing Rotor Inpower battery door insanely hard. Any tips?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Just can't get it closed. Really hard to get purchase on the little tab to push it clockwise to lock it. The O-ring I'm guessing is making it hard. Bad design or is there a knack to it?

wingguy

by wingguy

Two things - first it's quite easy to bend the metal closing tabs flat if you've pushed the cap down in the wrong place, then it won't turn closed. Check those first and bend them back if neccessary.

If that's not the problem then you're probably binding up the o-ring. Put a tiny smear of grease on it, make sure it is properly, securely seated, then try again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks, yes maybe need to play with those metal tabs. Looks like there's not much room for error if they bend a bit.. urgh!

Shrike

by Shrike

Gave up in the end. Was at it for nearly 8 hours. It wouldn't go into lock when it first arrived. So I'm thinking I've been sent a dodgy customer return. Initially both connectors on the battery cover pointed inwards, (towards to the battery cover itself). I've tried manipulating the connectors after looking at pics online, which make the connectors looks more flat. Still can't get it into lock though.

Emailed Wiggle and Rotor. Weekend ruined, sold my old cranks yesterday too :shock:

wingguy

by wingguy

Oh FFS, if you've bent them flat then you've bent them the wrong way. :roll:

They're supposed to point inwards at about a 30 degree angle. Just looking at where the recess they need to sit into in the crank arm would make that perfectly clear.

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah pointing inwards was how they came. Wouldn't screw in though so have been incrementally moving them each way.

Thanks for the attitude though! :lol:

When you calm down, check this pic out. See anything at odds with yours?

moonoi

by moonoi

I had a similar problem, the issue was with the o ring which I ended up trashing in the process. Contacted Rotor who then fedexed me foc a new door and o ring, as they don't supply the ring separately.

While I waited for the new door I used an elastic band and lots of electrical tape to seal it from the elements.

Interestingly enough the new door and o ring installed without issue, I noted the the o ring had changed colour as well, the original was red, the replacement black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shrike

by Shrike

@Moonoi hopefully they'll send me a new one too and that'll fix it. I couldn't get it in using the band or not.

Anyway, I've totally straightened it out now and it works (without the band). With the band in.. ridiculously tight. I've really had to force it round using a tool to stop my finger from breaking. Didn't tighten it all the way round, just like 8mm or so. Scared that if I get it to the lock position it'll be impossible to get off again. Hopefully it'll hold up for a test ride tomorrow.

So disappointing, definitely not the best design :shock:

moonoi

by moonoi

That's exactly the issue I had, the new door/o ring resolved it.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Not saying winguy is wrong or right, but here is the pic from velotech services (Rotor importer)
That definitely is flat...
The way you bent yours will make it tighter, no wonder its hard to fit.

I have to be honest Shrike, your lack of mechanical aptitude is pretty apparent from some of your posts. Maybe step back a bit and leave alone until you know what you're doing, or you're going to get a few nasty shocks :noidea:
Official cafe stop tester

Shrike

by Shrike

jekyll man wrote:Not saying winguy is wrong or right, but here is the pic from velotech services (Rotor importer)
That definitely is flat...
The way you bent yours will make it tighter, no wonder its hard to fit.

I have to be honest Shrike, your lack of mechanical aptitude is pretty apparent from some of your posts. Maybe step back a bit and leave alone until you know what you're doing, or you're going to get a few nasty shocks :noidea:

@ jekyll

Mine came bent. Look at the picture, which is what I sent on to Rotor and Wiggle.

I straightened it to make it work :D

It was wingnut who said it should be at 30 degrees, which I think it can't be if you look at the connector fitting inside.

Yes, I'm not the best mechanically, but you're not the best at following a thread. Thanks for having a go at belittling someone on the internet though :P

Shrike wrote:Initially both connectors on the battery cover pointed inwards, (towards to the battery cover itself). I've tried manipulating the connectors after looking at pics online, which make the connectors look more flat.

wingguy wrote:
They're supposed to point inwards at about a 30 degree angle. Just looking at where the recess they need to sit into in the crank arm would make that perfectly clear.

Just no. But I'm the one that's mechanically deficient apparently :lol:

moonoi

by moonoi

jekyll man wrote:I have to be honest Shrike, your lack of mechanical aptitude is pretty apparent from some of your posts. Maybe step back a bit and leave alone until you know what you're doing, or you're going to get a few nasty shocks :noidea:

That's a little bit unfair, this has nothing to do with mechanical aptitude and everything to do with a poor design on a user serviceable item.

I struggled exactly as Shrike did, and I'm far from inept mechanically.

Note that the picture you attached is with the new o ring, the original is red and I suspect that the issue is to do with the thickness or elasticity of the o ring, making it virtually impossible to reinstall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Shrike wrote:
wingguy wrote:They're supposed to point inwards at about a 30 degree angle. Just looking at where the recess they need to sit into in the crank arm would make that perfectly clear.

Just no. But I'm the one that's mechanically deficient apparently :lol:

Clearly I meant pointing into the crankarm, not into the door itself. How anyone could look at the fitting and think I meant it the other way is beyond me. And maybe 30degrees is a bit much, but it does help if they're slightly past flat. BTW, did you take the other part of the advice as well and greas the o ring and pay special attention to seating it properly?

And honestly, the Rotor design may be slightly fiddly, but I can assure you that if I'd taken 8 hours failing to set it up properly (heck, if I'd taken more than 8 minutes!) I'd be angry with myself, not getting gobby at the people who took the time to try and help me. It seems that you have a slightly more entitled outlook. Well, good luck with your build, I'll leave you to it.