I purchased Dura-Ace C40 Clincher (WH9100-CL) but my C40s rims are same as C35 ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

mattr wrote:
TheDarkInstall wrote:LOLz.

Between Jan and Sept 2016, they cleared 36,825,000,000yen, after all expenses. They have the budget.
profit doesn't equal engineering budget.

More lols from you as usual. Are you trying to tell me that a company with 14,505,215,797 USD market capacity (as of yesterday), whose core focus is innovation in sports technology, doesn't have an R&D budget to match, and one which can handle developing a rim that is 3.2mm wider than it was 13 years ago? Hahahahaha.

Seeing as you are such an expert on company balance sheets, here is the Shimano financial statement for 2016 Q3. The numbers start on page 5; how much is their R&D?

http://www.shimano.com/content/Corporat ... 016-Q3.pdf
Last edited by TheDarkInstall on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Patb095

by Patb095

I'm done with Shimano wheel, they are losing control of the brand. They are no more reliable than any other Chinese wheel on the market!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

This whole disaster has got me thinking though...

Let's assume for a moment that the issue with the 9100 C24/50/60 wheels not matching the stated measurements was an error with the listing, and not the product itself. This would mean that Shimano have consciously decided to keep the width of the aluminium clinchers at 20.8mm, which is a width they introduced in the 7850 Dura Ace clincher range way back in 2004. They have done this, despite acknowledging the trend for wider rim in their carbon rims in the same Dura Ace range, and means that by the time 9200 (or whatever they call it) comes out, in approximately 2020-ish, they will have been using 20.8mm for their flagship clincher rim for 16 years. They clearly know this, so I wonder why...?

I have a theory;

Shimano know their market well. From what I can see, Dura Ace is bought by two kinds of people; firstly, it is bought by racers and shredders who demand excellence, and actually use high end gear right to the limit. It is also bought by monied MAMILs (which I would imagine is actually the main market share). This second group, while wanting the latest top end gear, is never going to use it anywhere near the limit, and is also rather conservative, so making a 20.8mm rim with the Dura Ace name on it for these people is perfect. It is guaranteed to fit in whatever frame they put it in which means more people will be able to use Dura Ace stuff, so Shimano will sell more, and get more exposure / advertising across the board. It also adheres to the conservative notion of 'stick to what you know', so the older guys who focus on nostalgia in cycling also get that desire met.
Last edited by TheDarkInstall on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

evan326

by evan326

You may be on to something....

sun

by sun

They've gone wider on Tubular's. The 9100's are 28mm wide.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

TheDarkInstall wrote: Are you trying to tell me that a company with 14,505,215,797 USD market capacity (as of yesterday), whose core focus is innovation in sports technology

I'd like to know more about this market capacity.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

TheDarkInstall wrote:I have a theory;

Shimano know their market well. From what I can see, Dura Ace is bought by two kinds of people; firstly, it is bought by racers and shredders who demand excellence, and actually use high end gear right to the limit. It is also bought by monied MAMILs (which I would imagine is actually the main market share). This second group, while wanting the latest top end gear, is never going to use it anywhere near the limit, and is also rather conservative, so making a 20.8mm rim with the Dura Ace name on it for these people is perfect. It is guaranteed to fit in whatever frame they put it in which means more people will be able to use Dura Ace stuff, so Shimano will sell more, and get more exposure / advertising across the board. It also adheres to the conservative notion of 'stick to what you know', so the older guys who focus on nostalgia in cycling also get that desire met.

This doesn't explain why they sticked with the C40 name and published false rim data. Also sneaking new data into an old spec document is wild.

Ok. here is my theory: they decided to sunset their rim brake clincher line in their next generation (9200) and simply it's not worth to develop a new rim brake clincher rim at this point. They know that there will be only a handful of rim brake frames available for the public in 4 years, so no reason to put money into a new alloy / carbon rim.

The new tubeless compatible, disc specific rim has the new height and width. The tubular rims got updated too, so the pros will be covered, whatever happens with the disc brake UCI approval in the future.

I find it extremely troubling that none of the cycling websites covered this story. I wonder how they call themselves journalists.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

nemeseri wrote:
TheDarkInstall wrote:I have a theory;

This doesn't explain why they sticked with the C40 name and published false rim data. Also sneaking new data into an old spec document is wild.

Ok. here is my theory: they decided to sunset their rim brake clincher line in their next generation (9200) and simply it's not worth to develop a new rim brake clincher rim at this point. They know that there will be only a handful of rim brake frames available for the public in 4 years, so no reason to put money into a new alloy / carbon rim.

The new tubeless compatible, disc specific rim has the new height and width. The tubular rims got updated too, so the pros will be covered, whatever happens with the disc brake UCI approval in the future.

I find it extremely troubling that none of the cycling websites covered this story. I wonder how they call themselves journalists.

I totally agree with all of that. Good points.

And yeah, it is very lame that none of the cycling press have even mentioned this. Silence, rather than ignorance, for sure. I might make a rant video about it all. Haha :)

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

GothicCastle wrote:
TheDarkInstall wrote: Are you trying to tell me that a company with 14,505,215,797 USD market capacity (as of yesterday), whose core focus is innovation in sports technology

What do you want to know?

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

TheDarkInstall wrote:
GothicCastle wrote:

Market Cap = market capitalization

soonyoung

by soonyoung

hmmm its interesting. I thinck shimano reuses its wheel through non upgrade

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

GothicCastle wrote:
TheDarkInstall wrote:
GothicCastle wrote:

Market Cap = market capitalization

LOL, so your initial reply was a passive aggressive set up to aim a dig at a phone typo. Brilliant.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

TheDarkInstall wrote:
LOL, so your initial reply was a passive aggressive set up to aim a dig at a phone typo. Brilliant.

Welcome to the web.

hatcha23

by hatcha23

Are C40s available in US or EU yet?
Last edited by hatcha23 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMC Teammachine SLR01 2014
Trek Emonda ALR 2015

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

I don't think anyone knows because I don't think anyone wants them anymore, lol

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com