I purchased Dura-Ace C40 Clincher (WH9100-CL) but my C40s rims are same as C35 ??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hatcha23

by hatcha23

donpedro wrote:
Though at least they are refunding customers who complain. So, do you think one could purchase the wheels now, ride them all summer, then claim to discover the deception later on and demand a refund? The C35's are solid wheels. Would be nice to ride them for free... :)

Yes, C35 is good wheel. After my first ride with them, I could feel it stiffer and more responsive than my C24 WH-9000. Wider hub flange really gives me that. But Cornering and comfort are the same as C24. That's why I began to feel something wrong here with the wheels.
BMC Teammachine SLR01 2014
Trek Emonda ALR 2015

hjb1000

by hjb1000

guyc wrote:Someone at Shimano just got fired.

That is shockingly bad.

Yep... this is surprisingly bad for Shimano

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

Wow, just read through the whole thread and I'm speechless......how does something like this happen with a company as big as Shimano?!?

itguy

by itguy

So they are still going to stick that naming convention? Not C35 v2.0?

Shrike

by Shrike

Not the sort of thing I could imagine getting past QC anywhere. Has to be a marketing ploy.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

They don't QC the Marketing dept?

mattr

by mattr

Probably not. Marketing announce a new rim depth/width to keep up with the joneses. Engineering say they haven't got budget, time or resource to do it.

Marketing carry on regardless. Design department create new stickers. Engineering dept work on 9100 groupset and XTR di2.

All goes to shit.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

mattr wrote:Probably not. Marketing announce a new rim depth/width to keep up with the joneses. Engineering say they haven't got budget, time or resource to do it.

Marketing carry on regardless. Design department create new stickers. Engineering dept work on 9100 groupset and XTR di2.

All goes to shit.

LOLz.

Between Jan and Sept 2016, they cleared 36,825,000,000yen, after all expenses. They have the budget. You are right though in that the issue is essentially a lack of communication between the core engineering department and the convoluted management system that surrounds it.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

The other thing to consider, is when bringing a product to market, it is not just a case of the engineer designing it and sending it to the machining department. An entire patent process has to be undertaken, which occurs often years in advance of the release.

Shimano's patents can be found online easily, which shows they go through the process just like every other creator of product...

http://www.patentsencyclopedia.com/assi ... imano-inc/

The huge administrative process of doing all this makes it even more ridiculous that they would get something as simple as this wrong, and also that they would release a new top of the line groupset but stick with the same dimensions used all the way back in the 7800 range (yes, you read that right... 7800, 7900, 9000, and now 9100 clinchers are all 20.8mm...). Hell, the 7800 C50s are actually 50mm deep too...

AZR3

by AZR3

It'd be nice if some cycling news site would report on this. It'd embarrass shimano and potentially save some people from purchasing what shimano claimed were updated wheels.

rekhyt

by rekhyt

Imagine the shitstorm if Sram/Zipp did that.

moonoi

by moonoi

AZR3 wrote:It'd be nice if some cycling news site would report on this. It'd embarrass shimano and potentially save some people from purchasing what shimano claimed were updated wheels.

Most likely they don't want to risk pissing off Shimano and are worried they won't get any gear in to test for free or risk losing advertising revenue from them.

AZR3

by AZR3

moonoi wrote:
AZR3 wrote:It'd be nice if some cycling news site would report on this. It'd embarrass shimano and potentially save some people from purchasing what shimano claimed were updated wheels.

Most likely they don't want to risk pissing off Shimano and are worried they won't get any gear in to test for free or risk losing advertising revenue from them.

Shimano changed the specs of their "new" 9100 wheels so the cycling new sites would just be reporting the change...it'd be up to them to decided to ding Shimano for it or just report the "update"

Ive sent this thread to a few news sites, curious to see if anything comes from it
Last edited by AZR3 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooo

by ooo

still unclear why why they changed 2.3, instead of making new revision 2.4 of specification website
'

mattr

by mattr

TheDarkInstall wrote:LOLz.

Between Jan and Sept 2016, they cleared 36,825,000,000yen, after all expenses. They have the budget.
profit doesn't equal engineering budget.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com