Riding gear - the essentials - pics and weight - what do you carry?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Now that we all have finished our superlight superbikes
It is time to start looking at the essentials for every ride, what gear do you carry, what is the weight and how do we make it lighter?

I will start with the super essential stuff that I won't ride without. Of course shoes and helmets can be discussed.

I carry a Crankbrothers m13 with the small case for tire plugs, 2x CR2032 batteries, quick link, some electrical tape, and TPU patches (topeak) ~168g

Pro discovery phone case ~ 57g

Two Ridenow TPU tubes with a Pedros tire lever ~ 89g

Torx T20 key (for Hyperstem) ~ 8.5g

Lezyne mini road pump oil slick with mount (on the bike) ~ 86 + 14g

I am very excited to see your list :D share whatever you want, I have only taken the most essential stuff that's critical for every ride.
IMG_20230519_175239.jpg
Screenshot_2023-05-19-17-58-13-806_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets-edit.jpg

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

I do realise it is possible to achieve a much lighter and convenient setup which is why I am very intrigued by this tool just released last month, although mega pricy. I would probably not save a huge amount,,, but a few grams 133g https://r2-bike.com/MILKIT-Multitool-Hassleoff_1
milkit-multitool-hassleoff_1~2.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartacus

by spartacus

I'd highly recommend switching to dynaplugs instead of bacon strips, they work like 100x better.

maurice1

by maurice1

Sorry for the disgusting kitchen scale

Generic bottle, the first one I got when I got into cycling - 60g
Lezyne pocket drive - 75g
Small ziplock with a valve core tool, some tape and quick links (probably useless since I don't have a chain drive and they are 10 speed, but I honestly don't worry about my chain breaking) - 6g
Big ziplock with 2 Ridenow tubes - 69g
The best multitool there is - loose hex keys. Covers all the screws on my bike and nothing more. (2,3,4,5,6hex +T15/T20 from a bleed kit) Lighter, more compact, cheaper and more convenient than a multitool - I really don't see the point - 61g with the neoprene pouch from a pocket knife
Crankbrothers speedier lever. Have yet to try but some people swear by it so I'm giving it a try. - 26g (2x levers were 22g)

I carry that bottle on the downtube mount, grateful for it. I guess +30ish grams for the cage
I'm happy with it and I don't really see what I could change or upgrade besides a lighter bottle but I don't really care. Whole thing cost me 55€ including the bottle cage. Tubeless plugs scare me so I think I will also pick up ridenow gravel tubes

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

There is already a thread of about 15 pages covering this stuff. Probably worth looking at that rather than starting again

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/for ... saddle+bag

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Silca frame pump, tiny multi tool, stans darts.

Food.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Steve Curtis wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 6:32 pm
There is already a thread of about 15 pages covering this stuff. Probably worth looking at that rather than starting again

Thanks, I didn't know :) somehow I cannot see any dates at all on my phone. Maybe due to dark mode... So have no idea when things are posted

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

eucalyptus wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 10:14 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 6:32 pm

Thanks, I didn't know :) somehow I cannot see any dates at all on my phone. Maybe due to dark mode... So have no idea when things are posted
No problem. Those daysaver hex sets look really good, but I'm not a fan of many little droppable bits.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

eucalyptus wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 5:22 pm
Now that we all have finished our superlight superbikes
It is time to start looking at the essentials for every ride, what gear do you carry, what is the weight and how do we make it lighter?

I will start with the super essential stuff that I won't ride without. Of course shoes and helmets can be discussed.

I carry a Crankbrothers m13 with the small case for tire plugs, 2x CR2032 batteries, quick link, some electrical tape, and TPU patches (topeak) ~168g

Pro discovery phone case ~ 57g

Two Ridenow TPU tubes with a Pedros tire lever ~ 89g

Torx T20 key (for Hyperstem) ~ 8.5g

Lezyne mini road pump oil slick with mount (on the bike) ~ 86 + 14g

I am very excited to see your list :D share whatever you want, I have only taken the most essential stuff that's critical for every ride.

IMG_20230519_175239.jpg
Screenshot_2023-05-19-17-58-13-806_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets-edit.jpg
How do you rate the phone case?
I'm currently use the smallest canyon seat bag whose attachment points broke so I'm left carrying that in my jersey...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

Eterna7m wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 6:44 am
How do you rate the phone case?
I'm currently use the smallest canyon seat bag whose attachment points broke so I'm left carrying that in my jersey...
It is one of few things that is worth every penny! There are many similar cases out there but I am very pleased with this one. Works great with my Xiaomi mi11 which is a very big phone and just enough to close the zipper.
Still room for hexkeys, cards, cash or other flat things.

One thing that stands out is the quality, like really really good quality.