Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:50 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Sram eTap cranksets
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:34 pm 

I'm building a Tri bike with eTap in a 1x setup. I'm looking at Sram Red cranksets but I'm not sure if there is any benefit or weight savings between the Red 22 Crankset (removable spider) and say an older Red 10sp (pre exogram)? Also will they both equally well in a 1x setup? I picked these two because these are the two that are available to me now. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Sram eTap cranksets
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:41 pm 

The older non exogram crankset is much heavier than the exogram. Definitely get the Exogram.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:41 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:44 pm 

The only red crankset with a removable spider is the new BB386 version. That BB you have? There is no "etap" version just the updated graphics. The one with removable spider is a nice option because you can add a powermeter to it or even change the spider to a different size.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:47 pm 

I know the Red Exogram started about 2012 in the 10sp and 11sp variations but is the Red 22 Crankset considered an Exogram as well? Again the one I'm looking at has the removable spider, I mention this because i know there are 22sp versions with the spider built in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:54 pm 

I'm looking at BB30 cranksets. The 22sp crankset I'm looking at definitely has a removable spider and the pictures show bb30. It's does not actually say 22 on it anywhere and the graphics just say Sram Red. The guy selling it says it's 22sp.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:21 pm 

Yes, Red 22 is exogram.

The only difference between 10-speed Red Exogram and 11-speed is the chainrings. Cranks are the same.

And I believe the Red crank with a removable spider in eTap paint scheme is only available on OEM bikes. Sram is not making it available for sale to the public.

Also, the Exogram status is clearly listed on Sram's website.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:17 pm 

Thanks, all good to know. I'm having a bit of trouble find much out on this Red 22 speed crankset. The (used) one I'm considering has a similar graphic as the 22sp pictured on Srams web site but has the removable spider and does not say 22 on it.

Last edited by mattinnc on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 pm 

That's the one mainly used on Red Quarqs. It's quite a bit heavier than the BB30 crank with an integrated spider. What BB do you have? The integrated spider version only works on BB30 and BB30a.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 pm 

The frame I have is BB30, so that's OK. So if the 22sp crankset with the removable spider is heaver, would the older Red 10sp (pre exogram) crank be the lighter option?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:34 pm 

really hope the OEM removable spider crank make their way onto the used market pretty pronto, would love to set one up with the SRAM P2M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:20 am 

This thread is confusing. I'll write out a timeline to my knowledge.

Original 10 speed cranks. Not exogram. Heavy. No version available with removable spider.

Second gen 10 speed cranks that coincided with the redesign of the lever shape. Exogram with integrated spider.
- also available with a Quarq powermeter spider. These are still exogram arms but have a removable spider. Could be replaced with a non-powermeter spider such as that on a Force22/Rival22 crankset. 3 bolt spider interface. Heavier than integrated spider version.

Red22. Has decals that say 'Red22' rather than 'Red'. Exogram arms, integrated spider. Identical crankset except for decals to the second gen 10 speed cranks. The only thing that made them '22' was the chainrings. Put 10 speed rings on and they're 10 speed cranks.
- also available with a Quarq powermeter spider. Exogram arms, removable spider. Same deal as second gen 10 speed version, just with a different decal. 3 bolt spider interface pre mid 2016ish and 8 bolt spider interface post mid 2016ish. Heavier than integrated spider version. 3 bolt version compatible with other powermeter brands, standard spider. 8 bolt interface only compatible with 8 bolt quarq spider or no power spider from quarq prime cranksets (i don't believe the 8 bolt no power spider is available aftermarket, happy to be proved wrong).

Redetap. Integrated spider version is again the same as second gen red and red22. Just different finish.
- available in removable spider version as per 'red22' description. not sure if was ever made in 3 bolt version with etap graphics though. potentially only 8 bolt ever in production. the switch over in production of interface design was closely matched to etap production.

OP - definitely get a crank with exogram arms. way lighter. if you have no intention of running a powermeter in the future get the exogram version with an integrated spider. I'm not aware of the exogram version with a removable spider being available aftermarket other than with a quarq spider. you may find a set on ebay/second hand with no spider, then just buy the force22/rival22 spider and install it. chainline is all the same, no difference for 1x purposes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:27 am 
Administrator

Without doing any research myself I'm surprised the new Red does not have a removable spider. I have 2017 Force on my tt bike and it has a removable spider. Bought new and not O.E.M.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:58 pm 

grover wrote:
This thread is confusing. I'll write out a timeline to my knowledge.

Second gen 10 speed cranks that coincided with the redesign of the lever shape. Exogram with integrated spider.
- also available with a Quarq powermeter spider. These are still exogram arms but have a removable spider. Could be replaced with a non-powermeter spider such as that on a Force22/Rival22 crankset. 3 bolt spider interface. Heavier than integrated spider version.

One clarification, the Second gen, 10-spd Quarqs used the old Sram 950 arms. They were not Exogram. They were really quite heavy, and they retained the 3-bolt interface. I'm not sure when the switch was made to 8-bolt. I don't believe Exogram arms were available for Quarqs until Red 22 came out, which was less than a year after Second gen Red was released.

And yes, current Force and I believe Rival now have removable spiders, but Red remains a one-piece arm and spider. I believe it is lighter.

And the reason the OP cannot find info on the Red with removable spider is because Sram is only offering it as an OEM option to manufacturers. The idea is to give bike buyers a "Power Ready" crankset that can be upgraded to a Quarq.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm 

Wow.. Great info, Thanks for all the posts. Really helps clear things up. I was trying to post a picture of the crank with Red and no 22 but it's moot at this point It sounds as though it's a OEM version but still an Exogram version, and lighter, option over the non-exogram versions.

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:58 pm 

Just got these last week. BB386 spindle, it's just BB30 with a longer spindle. Definitely heavier then exogram but its power ready which is nice. Putting extralite rings on to make up for the weight penalty.