S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ninjasloth

by ninjasloth

Nefarious86 wrote:
Interestingly, only two of the 16 Tarmac models (none of the S Works) come with their own crankset now. If anything, their move to SRAM and Shimano cranks suggests a move away from OSBB.

OSBB is literally a sluttier BB30

Accepts any sizes

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Are they still OSBB tho? Or just plain jane BB30? My Allez was listed as OSBB but just has BB30 bearings pressed in.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

ninjasloth wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Interestingly, only two of the 16 Tarmac models (none of the S Works) come with their own crankset now. If anything, their move to SRAM and Shimano cranks suggests a move away from OSBB.

OSBB is literally a sluttier BB30

Accepts any sizes

My understanding has been that OSBB = BB30 in alloy frames and OSBB = PF30 in carbon frames. OSBB is just Specialized way of calling BB30. BB30 = Cannondale's design and Specialized, being Specialized loathed to do any kind of advertising for a competitors system, even if it was a open standard.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Clear as mud

And I dont see them making a through axle non disk hub. It's a completely unique and useless item. ImageImage
Using Tapatalk

53x12

by 53x12

Nefarious86 wrote:It's a completely unique and useless item. ImageImage

Which means....Specialized just might do it. :lol:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I don't think they're quite that suicidal. They learnt the lesson with the SCS mess you would hope.
Using Tapatalk

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Nefarious86 wrote:Clear as mud

And I dont see them making a through axle non disk hub. It's a completely unique and useless item.

Man, I love that graphic. Even though it makes my head spin. :?
Oldbie

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Nefarious86 wrote:I don't think they're quite that suicidal. They learnt the lesson with the SCS mess you would hope.

Or maybe Specialized didn't and is attempting to use Thru-Axle on all bikes to force people to buy new Roval wheels.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

53x12 wrote:My understanding has been that OSBB = BB30 in alloy frames and OSBB = PF30 in carbon frames. OSBB is just Specialized way of calling BB30. BB30 = Cannondale's design and Specialized, being Specialized loathed to do any kind of advertising for a competitors system, even if it was a open standard.

The OSBB is basically the same as BB30 but with a little tighter tolerances and a 0.5mm difference in the clip-to-clip dimension.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

maquisard

by maquisard

BB30 is a pretty terrible design, it's only saving grace is increased ankle clearance (but only if specific BB30 cranks are used)

CostcoHotDogs

by CostcoHotDogs

53x12 wrote:Thru-axle for a rim brake version doesn't make sense to me. Seems like they are trying to reinvent something that really doesn't need to be reinvented as it has been working fine. If true, Specialized attempting to be different, just to be different. I'm sure Specialized will come out with some data about x% stiffer bla bla bla and people will eat it up.

I don't see this as being much different than when 26" MTBs transitioned to disc. There were several years where frames and forks had mounting options for both disc and vee brakes. I could see the non-SWorks Tarmacs being both disc and rim brake compatible to keep SKUs and tooling costs down.

CostcoHotDogs

by CostcoHotDogs

topflightpro wrote:Or maybe Specialized didn't and is attempting to use Thru-Axle on all bikes to force people to buy new Roval wheels.

or, at the very least, forcing them to buy $38 worth of new endcaps for the hubs.

wingguy

by wingguy

topflightpro wrote:Or maybe Specialized didn't and is attempting to use Thru-Axle on all bikes to force people to buy new Roval wheels.

Seriously, did everyone miss the bit where all the new Tarmacs photographed so far in this thread have perfectly normal QR wheels, skewers and dropouts? :noidea:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

And the QR Rim brake Roubaix.. Naaa the big bad S wants to make a completely incompatible and integrated environment....
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bjobjo

by Bjobjo

They just released a new video with peter sagan drifting with the new diverge on the roof. They said something about 15th of june. Perhaps they will also release the tarmac then