S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

What is the weight on UL..I might have missed it?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Drizzle

by Drizzle

My LBS told me the disc versions will be announced in december or january.. they should be available in february or march.. can somebody confirm this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

rossjm11 wrote:buuuuut you pay $4k for a frameset where as you can grab the SLR01 for $1k.

I just checked and the list price of the 2018 SLR01 frameset is $4,300 USD + tax. It's pretty much in line with the new tarmac.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

nemeseri wrote:
rossjm11 wrote:buuuuut you pay $4k for a frameset where as you can grab the SLR01 for $1k.

I just checked and the list price of the 2018 SLR01 frameset is $4,300 USD + tax. It's pretty much in line with the new tarmac.

Also the SLR01 frameset pricing includes saddle, bars, stem, bartape.

TonyM

by TonyM

Drizzle wrote:My LBS told me the disc versions will be announced in december or january.. they should be available in february or march.. can somebody confirm this?

My LBS checked also several times with the sales reps from Spez and they were told that it will be available in the Spring 2018 and did not want to give a month, so most probably March or April. Tye sales reps were not informed when it will be announced.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I'll guess announcement a week before the Giro with availability in June. In the US it will be referred to as a 2019 model.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

nemeseri wrote:

I'm saying you can get the old version of it, 2015 and still have a lighter bike that looks very similar, and based on the geometry, it probably handles about the same.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

Drizzle

by Drizzle

TobinHatesYou wrote:I'll guess announcement a week before the Giro with availability in June. In the US it will be referred to as a 2019 model.

I don't think they would wait that long.. The amount of lost sales to other brands would be enormous! There are many buyers who wait for the tarmac disc but won't hesitate to buy something else if they don't deliver before the new season.. So waiting until summer would be verry stupid from Specialized!

morganb

by morganb

Has anyone here gotten/seen a non-S-Works level bike in the wild yet? I'm wondering how far off the weight is on those if the S-Works are coming in 150+g over. My 52 SL5 Pro was 1050g with BB/hanger/seatclamp so I hope they didn't manage to get heavier than that.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

rossjm11 wrote:
nemeseri wrote:

I'm saying you can get the old version of it, 2015 and still have a lighter bike that looks very similar[...]

Where can I get the 2015 version for $1k? :roll:

wingguy

by wingguy

rossjm11 wrote:I'm saying you can get the old version of it, 2015 and still have a lighter bike that looks very similar, and based on the geometry, it probably handles about the same.

You think? The 2015 SLR has a half a degree slacker HT, 5mm more trail, 3 to 5 mm lower BB, shorter chainstays with a longer wheelbase and longer FC...

I fail to see how it's any more of a match for the Tarmac than most any other modern road race bike out there. The Super6 Evo for instance is a closer match to the new Tarmac than the old SLR is (and the new SLR is significantly more different) on every handling related geometry point listed above, with the exception of stack, where it is 1mm further away.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

It's amazing how hard it is to sell 2nd hand frames - they therefore tend to go pretty cheap. It makes the new price look pretty steep.

I'm selling both my Sworks Tarmac frames (well, one or the other). One is 2015 Rigoberto Uran Limited Edition, the other 2017 white/red blue. $2500 ish, not a sniff yet.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

cyclespeed wrote:It's amazing how hard it is to sell 2nd hand frames - they therefore tend to go pretty cheap. It makes the new price look pretty steep.

I'm selling both my Sworks Tarmac frames (well, one or the other). One is 2015 Rigoberto Uran Limited Edition, the other 2017 white/red blue. $2500 ish, not a sniff yet.

Rule of thumb is chop 50% off the moment you walk out the door....once a new generation gets released....well chop some more off that. The exceptions to that are few and far between.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Drizzle wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:I'll guess announcement a week before the Giro with availability in June. In the US it will be referred to as a 2019 model.

I don't think they would wait that long.. The amount of lost sales to other brands would be enormous! There are many buyers who wait for the tarmac disc but won't hesitate to buy something else if they don't deliver before the new season.. So waiting until summer would be verry stupid from Specialized!

I'm not implying they're holding off for the sake of announcing it at a big race. There was likely an issue that cropped up late in the design phase which forced a long delay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Drizzle wrote:

I'm not implying they're holding off for the sake of announcing it at a big race. There was likely an issue that cropped up late in the design phase which forced a long delay.

That's what I think also!

Either they have to fix a issue on the Tarmac disc before it is released (i.e. the frame for the disc which has to be stronger but still light) or they want to improve the Tarmac Disc seeing what the competitor are doing (Trek, BMC, Giant, etc...) and try to get rid of the so many cables.

Or they are already quite busy with the new Tarmac trying to improve its weight (claim vs. real) and/or maybe with some production issues and it is delaying the Tarmac Disc.