Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 6265 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:37 pm
Posts: 98
orange wrote:
Quote:
We've clearly got a 'light' frame in the silver painted one, and the UL we had was one of the weightier ones.


We don't know that ? mine was also a "weightier one"


Quote:
preferably using a verified scale that hangs rather than with a plate.


not sure why that would make a difference ?


I'm not sure what you mean when you say "We don't know that ? mine was also a "weightier one""

The reason for using a scale you can hang the frame from rather than a pan scale is that it is easier to make sure the load is equal on the sensor. When using a pan scale as most people on WW do, the sensor will usually be in the middle or slightly off to one side, meaning that if you don't load the scale perfectly evenly it is easy to get variations in the weight of a single item. I could get the Silver frame I weighed today to weigh less by deliberately loading the weight of the frame away from the sensor, or more my deliberately loading the sensor over to one side. I think that's why old fruit and veg scales you got in shops were always hanging scales, so it was harder to trick the gauge into thinking there is less in the scale that there was.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:09 pm 


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am
Posts: 51
Slack wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "We don't know that ? mine was also a "weightier one""



my ultralight 58cm weighed 879g - 'm not sure how you concluded that your ultralight frame was 'heavier than normal' ?

Quote:
The reason for using a scale you can hang the frame from rather than a pan scale is that it is easier to make sure the load is equal on the sensor. When using a pan scale as most people on WW do, the sensor will usually be in the middle or slightly off to one side, meaning that if you don't load the scale perfectly evenly it is easy to get variations in the weight of a single item. I could get the Silver frame I weighed today to weigh less by deliberately loading the weight of the frame away from the sensor, or more my deliberately loading the sensor over to one side. I think that's why old fruit and veg scales you got in shops were always hanging scales, so it was harder to trick the gauge into thinking there is less in the scale that there was.


that's not strictly true - but depending on the type of scale it's about getting the centre of gravity directly over/under the mechanism. It's a large object so assuming you balanced this on the scale then almost by definition that has to be very close to being true. A 'pan' scale is fine for this - although I have both types and both agree :)

I you are saying that you don't trust you weighing setup then of course all bets are off


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 pm
Posts: 56
A high quality normal scale will be perfectly accurate even with the weight not centered on the tray. As long as no part of the object being weighed is touching the table, the scale will work fine. Gravity doesn't care where the frame is in relation to the load cells and a good scale won't care that the center of mass isn't perfectly centered. There is a reason that super high precision scales (ones I work with daily measure down to 0.0001 grams) are simple tray designs. Hanging scales also work just fine, but to assume that because a frame is weighed on a tray scale the measurement could be off by 10% is ludicrous. If your scale shows this kind of error, go buy a proper scale! Even a cheap $10 digital kitchen scale off Amazon shouldn't have this issue!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:37 pm
Posts: 98
Oh yawn off would you? Seriously.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am
Posts: 51
Slack wrote:
Oh yawn off would you? Seriously.


with respect - no need for that


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:37 pm
Posts: 98
Seriously, it's like this forum is just full of people looking for an argument. I'm simply saying what we have seen with our own eyes, for some one else to wade in because they feel there is an argument to be had, I'm simply not interested. I took time out of my day to weigh these frames because you lot asked for it. Yet here we are again with people wading in full of opinion that they're right and we're wrong. Just tell me how many of you have had multiples of these frames in their hands and weighed them? Exactly.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am
Posts: 51
I think we're all grateful for you posting the weights - as others, including myself have done. We don't have to all agree and we all have our own opinions. Hopefully nobody is trying to shoot you down and I'm sorry If I've caused offence.

let's keep it pleasant


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:23 pm 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:10 am
Posts: 712
I just rode one of my demos for a few hours. It's an incredibly balanced bike. Handling, speed, weight, comfort, it checks all the boxes. Time to say goodbye to my 15 Venge now.

_________________
S-Works Venge ViAS(7160g)
S-Works Venge(6220g)
S-Works Shiv(7450g)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:04 am
Posts: 56
Any pictures of the black/red Pro out in the wild? I've only stumbled upon a couple thus far....surely more than a few of them have been sold.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:26 am
Posts: 66
Anyone notice that the new SL6 doesn't have a metal stick-on plate near the bottom bracket area? It was on my previous SL5. Are you guys doing anything to protect this area from a dropped chain/chain suck?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:12 pm
Posts: 30
sun wrote:
Anyone notice that the new SL6 doesn't have a metal stick-on plate near the bottom bracket area? It was on my previous SL5. Are you guys doing anything to protect this area from a dropped chain/chain suck?


Yes I noticed in the pictures on specialized website and was wondering if the production version would have one but of course it doesn’t. I didn’t put anything on mine but have thought about it however no idea what I would use or how I would attach it. Maybe “adapt” one from a SL5 if it can even be bought separately.The one on my SL5 has saved the frame a few times


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:06 pm
Posts: 4
Seems like there are a few of us wondering the same thing.

It looks like the metal protector for the SL4 can be ordered as a spare part, not sure about the SL5 part though. I was personally looking at the metal protector used on a Cannondale SuperSix Evo (KP194). It slightly bigger than the Specialized part and I’m fairly sure it can be formed as necessary to fit the SL6. The other option I’m considering is to use a Lizard Skins Leather Carbon Patch. They’re tough as old boots and I think they are thick enough to prevent the chain getting sucked. Unfortunately there’s only one way to find out if any of them will be suitable so I’ll probably order all of them up and see which is best. My frame doesn’t arrive until January, so I won’t be able to feedback for a while.

If anyone else has come up with a cunning plan, it would be great to get your ideas and experiences.

mbdurham17 wrote:
sun wrote:
Anyone notice that the new SL6 doesn't have a metal stick-on plate near the bottom bracket area? It was on my previous SL5. Are you guys doing anything to protect this area from a dropped chain/chain suck?


Yes I noticed in the pictures on specialized website and was wondering if the production version would have one but of course it doesn’t. I didn’t put anything on mine but have thought about it however no idea what I would use or how I would attach it. Maybe “adapt” one from a SL5 if it can even be bought separately.The one on my SL5 has saved the frame a few times


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:26 am
Posts: 66
Super unhappy to report that the SL6 isn't compatible with the Wahoo Kickr 2016 version. It installed with no issues, but I never checked to see if it was fitting tight anywhere. I've had multiple bikes on this trainer. Unfortunately, I just learned a hard lesson that it rubs on the non-drive side chain stay. I just emailed Wahoo support, so we'll see what they say. It either needs to get spaced out, or I need to do something else.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:59 pm
Posts: 13
Advice here, i have a good deal in a sram powermeter, but is GXP, buy a pressfit for this frame, does it work well?
t


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:20 pm 


Top
   
 
 Post subject: Re: S-Works SL 2018
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am
Posts: 51
rsantos450 wrote:
Advice here, i have a good deal in a sram powermeter, but is GXP, buy a pressfit for this frame, does it work well?
t


haven't used one personally but I've heard good things about the Wheels Manufacturing ones


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 6265 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

TonyM

38

7767

Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Feddesman View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Help with 2018 Specialized S-Works Roubaix build

in Road

Vandit

5

879

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Vandit View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2018 S-Works Tarmac Sizing 49cm Vs 52cm

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

pesto13

22

1612

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:17 pm

oraclesin View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2018 Fuji SL

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

Roni1

32

6464

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:44 pm

Hamfist View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2018 Emonda SLR vs SL

in Road

ClydesdaleChris

9

1814

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:28 am

ClydesdaleChris View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: joe1234, kookie and 41 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited