S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Slack

by Slack

I’ve just finished the bright silver, 56cm, 9150 with Ultegra pedals, clx32, specialized crank + quarq pm, arundel cages, ritchey neo classic alloy bars. 6.48kg with cages and pedals.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

What wheels are you on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty1000

by matty1000

zappafile123 wrote:I kinda hope they dont go down the weight-weenie route. For whats on the market so far, it seems that If you push too hard to get real frame weight into the low-mid 700s, something ends up getting compromised whether it be stiffness, handling or comfort. Personally I like Canyon/Cervelo's direction - make a true all-rounder i.e. fairly light, comfortable, stiff and a little aero. Obviously the Tarmac at present isnt very comfortable, light or aero (thats not to say its bad, its a very good frame). So there's plenty of scope for improvement.

I'd like to see some aero touches like a new cockpit, and slightly modified tube shapes - save us 10 watts or something. At the moment, the stiffness and responsiveness are very good, so keep that the same. Shave 100g off the frame (which is ~1000g as far as I've seen). Get rid of the OSBB platform and use something like BB86 or BB386. Finally make a flexy seatpost/post clamp design like Canyon. Do all that and it'll be amazing. I've just described the Canyon ultimate... woops

This is rather bizarre? The S-Works Tarmac (2016 - never was named the SL5), is extremely comfortable and light. My 54 cm bare frame weighs 870g. Not sure what peeps are talking about when it comes to this frame not being light. Stupid stiff and comfortable (at least to me).

matty1000

by matty1000

ergott wrote:The current Tarmac already clears large tires. The rear brake pads are close to the bottom of the slots. My 25mm tires are a little over 27mm on wide rims and there's room for more.

If you need more tire you are on the wrong bike.

100% AGREE!

morganb

by morganb

matty1000 wrote:
ergott wrote:The current Tarmac already clears large tires. The rear brake pads are close to the bottom of the slots. My 25mm tires are a little over 27mm on wide rims and there's room for more.

100% AGREE!

I have tires measuring actual 31mm on mine ("SL5") with still good clearance at the chainstays. I couldn't go any bigger because of the brakes but it makes the bike super versatile..

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

morganb wrote:
matty1000 wrote:

100% AGREE!

I have tires measuring actual 31mm on mine ("SL5") with still good clearance at the chainstays. I couldn't go any bigger because of the brakes but it makes the bike super versatile..

Wow I disagree I tried S-Works turbo 28 (the roads around here are very rough especially in winter) on my 2016 s-works SL5 with zipp 404’s and both front and rear rubbed at the top of the fork and where the brake bolts on the seat stays. They seemed ok on the stand but under load they rubbed. I also tried 28 conti 4000 which from what I gather actually measure 31-32 and they rubbed on the stand. The 28 turbos have plenty of clearance on my SL6 UL which I’ll run as my winter tires and switch back to 26 turbo cottons for summer.

morganb

by morganb

mbdurham17 wrote:
morganb wrote:
matty1000 wrote:

100% AGREE!

Wow I disagree I tried S-Works turbo 28 (the roads around here are very rough especially in winter) on my 2016 s-works SL5 with zipp 404’s and both front and rear rubbed at the top of the fork and where the brake bolts on the seat stays. They seemed ok on the stand but under load they rubbed. I also tried 28 conti 4000 which from what I gather actually measure 31-32 and they rubbed on the stand. The 28 turbos have plenty of clearance on my SL6 UL which I’ll run as my winter tires and switch back to 26 turbo cottons for summer.

Maybe its because I'm on wide rims, 28mm Open Corsas on Quills (21mm internal) fit fine.

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

orange wrote:
rsantos450 wrote:Advice here, i have a good deal in a sram powermeter, but is GXP, buy a pressfit for this frame, does it work well?
t

haven't used one personally but I've heard good things about the Wheels Manufacturing ones

I have a new kogel bb30 to gxp, pm if you are interested.

matty1000

by matty1000

ichobi wrote:What wheels are you on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He stated clx32’s... referencing the roval carbon wheels.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Slack wrote:I’ve just finished the bright silver, 56cm, 9150 with Ultegra pedals, clx32, specialized crank + quarq pm, arundel cages, ritchey neo classic alloy bars. 6.48kg with cages and pedals.

Are the clx32s tubulars or clinchers?

Slack

by Slack

nemeseri wrote:
Slack wrote:I’ve just finished the bright silver, 56cm, 9150 with Ultegra pedals, clx32, specialized crank + quarq pm, arundel cages, ritchey neo classic alloy bars. 6.48kg with cages and pedals.

Clinchers, as far as I know you can't get them in tubular can you?

matty1000

by matty1000

Slack wrote:
nemeseri wrote:

Yeah, you can.

Slack

by Slack

Slack wrote:
nemeseri wrote:

I've just seen that you can, not in the U.K. though.

oraclesin

by oraclesin

tarmac sl6... so cool, i have sl5.. but i want to change it

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

morganb wrote:Maybe its because I'm on wide rims, 28mm Open Corsas on Quills (21mm internal) fit fine.

Yeah rim width can effect it greatly. My 15 SW Venge could barely clear 28 Roubaix Pros with older Roval CLX60's 17mm internal width. The same bike has nearly the same clearance with 26 Turbo Cottons on CLX50's with 21mm internal width. A wider rim makes the tire measure wider.

Frame size can also vary the clearance. A 49cm frame will likely have less clearance than a 54 or 56. A co-worker of mine fit 28 Turbos on CLX50's on a 17 Tarmac 52cm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com