S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NJ78

by NJ78

I like it. Have got the current S-Works Tarmac and it's great, but can see myself being tempted by the new model in the future.

I noticed Gilbert and some other Quick-Steppers were riding them in Switzerland yesterday.

Beaver

by Beaver

ichobi wrote:Very light, very aero (looks to be). if comes with good colour and comfort, this might be ideal. Small size will looks funny though, especially bikes with dropped aero seat stay like this, (see BMC TMR).

Very light would be sub 700g (like the Felt FR FRD for $3.500), the rear looks aero, but not the front, comfortwise it will be all right with the extended seatpost. It will be one of the most interesting allrounders though. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pepsi

by Pepsi

Beaver wrote:Image

Any info about frame weight yet?

What size is this?

ninjasloth

by ninjasloth

Pepsi wrote:
Beaver wrote:Image

Any info about frame weight yet?

What size is this?

Sagan rides 56
184cm
BB c-t 76cm

kgt

by kgt

We know that Specialized tries to push the aero trend as much as possible. But since all its top riders prefer the s-works and not the vias they had to update the s-works to a more aero design. Now everybody rides aero.

iliedanila

by iliedanila

kgt wrote:We know that Specialized tries to push the aero trend as much as possible. But since all its top riders prefer the s-works and not the vias they had to update the s-works to a more aero design. Now everybody rides aero.

I reckon it's the brakes on the venge vias. No matter how aero the venge is, they spend most of the time on the bike drafting. So the aspects the really make a difference for this guys are the feeling on the bike, geometry, confort and reliability. Aero makes a difference only if you are the first in the bunch or in time trial...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mile2424

by mile2424

kgt wrote:We know that Specialized tries to push the aero trend as much as possible. But since all its top riders prefer the s-works and not the vias they had to update the s-works to a more aero design. Now everybody rides aero.

Do they though? There has been quite a few wins on the Vias this year during various tour races. Of course the Tarmac is preferred for climbing, but I wouldn't say it's preferred over the Venge for any flat and fast stages.

kgt

by kgt

For fast and flat stages (that practically have no impact to GC) vias are also used. For everything else s-works is still the king.

53x12

by 53x12

kgt wrote:For fast and flat stages (that practically have no impact to GC) vias are also used. For everything else s-works is still the king.

That makes zero sense. You realize "S-Works" is just the highest tier of bikes that Specialized sells, right? It isn't in reference to one particular frame as there is a S-Works version of the Venge ViAS, Tarmac, Roubaix, previous Allez (with that awesome paint job), Shiv TT and all the way to their MTB like the Epic FSR, Epic hardtail, Stumpjumper...etc. S-Works is just Specialized's top tier line of bikes and frames.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Hexsense

by Hexsense

kgt wrote:For fast and flat stages (that practically have no impact to GC) vias are also used. For everything else s-works is still the king.

please call Tarmac a Tarmac.
There are S-works Venge, S-works Tarmac, S-works Roubaix, S-works Diverge etc.
I guess what you mean is
kgt wrote:For fast and flat stages (that practically have no impact to GC) S-works Venge Vias are also used. For everything else S-works Tarmac is still the king.

in this case, Just drop the word S-works. Pro will ride on Highest end frame set anyway.

kgt

by kgt

Ok, I stand corrected. It's Tarmac then. Was never a Specialized fan anyway...

ergott

by ergott

Far more people here race conditions similar to flat one day stages that there are GC contenders. But I digress.

I bought the S-Works Tarmac since I don't race and I do appreciate a refined frame with solid racing development. I think some of the best bikes have always come from frames under dominant teams that can provide a lot of good pro feedback. It helps hone in good handling, geometry, and ride characteristics. Just look at bikes like the Colnago C40, Time VXR (forgive me if I got the letters wrong), Pinarello Dogma, Trek Madone, and Tarmac. They have had the benefit of great team feedback as well as solid engineering over many years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Will the 'old' tarmac be on promotion?

morganb

by morganb

bruno2000 wrote:Will the 'old' tarmac be on promotion?

You will likely see them on closeout in the late summer/fall. They went lighter on the ordering this year than in previous instances so I don't think every size/build will be available on super deep discounts. I've usually had good luck with framesets though.

boots2000

by boots2000

They don't make a pile of extra S-works Tarmac frames, so there will not be many on offer at discount.

They would rather run out and move on to the next model than have a close-out problem.

bruno2000 wrote:Will the 'old' tarmac be on promotion?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com