S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

orange

by orange

Slack wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "We don't know that ? mine was also a "weightier one""

my ultralight 58cm weighed 879g - 'm not sure how you concluded that your ultralight frame was 'heavier than normal' ?

The reason for using a scale you can hang the frame from rather than a pan scale is that it is easier to make sure the load is equal on the sensor. When using a pan scale as most people on WW do, the sensor will usually be in the middle or slightly off to one side, meaning that if you don't load the scale perfectly evenly it is easy to get variations in the weight of a single item. I could get the Silver frame I weighed today to weigh less by deliberately loading the weight of the frame away from the sensor, or more my deliberately loading the sensor over to one side. I think that's why old fruit and veg scales you got in shops were always hanging scales, so it was harder to trick the gauge into thinking there is less in the scale that there was.

that's not strictly true - but depending on the type of scale it's about getting the centre of gravity directly over/under the mechanism. It's a large object so assuming you balanced this on the scale then almost by definition that has to be very close to being true. A 'pan' scale is fine for this - although I have both types and both agree :)

I you are saying that you don't trust you weighing setup then of course all bets are off

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

A high quality normal scale will be perfectly accurate even with the weight not centered on the tray. As long as no part of the object being weighed is touching the table, the scale will work fine. Gravity doesn't care where the frame is in relation to the load cells and a good scale won't care that the center of mass isn't perfectly centered. There is a reason that super high precision scales (ones I work with daily measure down to 0.0001 grams) are simple tray designs. Hanging scales also work just fine, but to assume that because a frame is weighed on a tray scale the measurement could be off by 10% is ludicrous. If your scale shows this kind of error, go buy a proper scale! Even a cheap $10 digital kitchen scale off Amazon shouldn't have this issue!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slack

by Slack

Oh yawn off would you? Seriously.

orange

by orange

Slack wrote:Oh yawn off would you? Seriously.

with respect - no need for that

Slack

by Slack

Seriously, it's like this forum is just full of people looking for an argument. I'm simply saying what we have seen with our own eyes, for some one else to wade in because they feel there is an argument to be had, I'm simply not interested. I took time out of my day to weigh these frames because you lot asked for it. Yet here we are again with people wading in full of opinion that they're right and we're wrong. Just tell me how many of you have had multiples of these frames in their hands and weighed them? Exactly.

orange

by orange

I think we're all grateful for you posting the weights - as others, including myself have done. We don't have to all agree and we all have our own opinions. Hopefully nobody is trying to shoot you down and I'm sorry If I've caused offence.

let's keep it pleasant

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

I just rode one of my demos for a few hours. It's an incredibly balanced bike. Handling, speed, weight, comfort, it checks all the boxes. Time to say goodbye to my 15 Venge now.

AW84

by AW84

Any pictures of the black/red Pro out in the wild? I've only stumbled upon a couple thus far....surely more than a few of them have been sold.

sun

by sun

Anyone notice that the new SL6 doesn't have a metal stick-on plate near the bottom bracket area? It was on my previous SL5. Are you guys doing anything to protect this area from a dropped chain/chain suck?

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

sun wrote:Anyone notice that the new SL6 doesn't have a metal stick-on plate near the bottom bracket area? It was on my previous SL5. Are you guys doing anything to protect this area from a dropped chain/chain suck?

Yes I noticed in the pictures on specialized website and was wondering if the production version would have one but of course it doesn’t. I didn’t put anything on mine but have thought about it however no idea what I would use or how I would attach it. Maybe “adapt” one from a SL5 if it can even be bought separately.The one on my SL5 has saved the frame a few times

Lionheart

by Lionheart

Seems like there are a few of us wondering the same thing.

It looks like the metal protector for the SL4 can be ordered as a spare part, not sure about the SL5 part though. I was personally looking at the metal protector used on a Cannondale SuperSix Evo (KP194). It slightly bigger than the Specialized part and I’m fairly sure it can be formed as necessary to fit the SL6. The other option I’m considering is to use a Lizard Skins Leather Carbon Patch. They’re tough as old boots and I think they are thick enough to prevent the chain getting sucked. Unfortunately there’s only one way to find out if any of them will be suitable so I’ll probably order all of them up and see which is best. My frame doesn’t arrive until January, so I won’t be able to feedback for a while.

If anyone else has come up with a cunning plan, it would be great to get your ideas and experiences.

mbdurham17 wrote:
sun wrote:Anyone notice that the new SL6 doesn't have a metal stick-on plate near the bottom bracket area? It was on my previous SL5. Are you guys doing anything to protect this area from a dropped chain/chain suck?

Yes I noticed in the pictures on specialized website and was wondering if the production version would have one but of course it doesn’t. I didn’t put anything on mine but have thought about it however no idea what I would use or how I would attach it. Maybe “adapt” one from a SL5 if it can even be bought separately.The one on my SL5 has saved the frame a few times

sun

by sun

Super unhappy to report that the SL6 isn't compatible with the Wahoo Kickr 2016 version. It installed with no issues, but I never checked to see if it was fitting tight anywhere. I've had multiple bikes on this trainer. Unfortunately, I just learned a hard lesson that it rubs on the non-drive side chain stay. I just emailed Wahoo support, so we'll see what they say. It either needs to get spaced out, or I need to do something else.

rsantos450

by rsantos450

Advice here, i have a good deal in a sram powermeter, but is GXP, buy a pressfit for this frame, does it work well?
t

orange

by orange

rsantos450 wrote:Advice here, i have a good deal in a sram powermeter, but is GXP, buy a pressfit for this frame, does it work well?
t

haven't used one personally but I've heard good things about the Wheels Manufacturing ones

mbdurham17

by mbdurham17

Just got word from my LBS that my SL6 ee brakes that were supposed to be here are still backordered to mid December. However he did tell me they are throwing in some new super light headset bearings and top cap as a promo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com