S-Works SL 2018

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

When I did my initial video appraisal of the SL6 a few months ago, I was a bit suspicious of the (suspiciously) low weights.

I still think it's impressive to have lopped off about 200g though AND gone more aero, but there was no need for all that 733g stuff.....

orange

by orange

Fwiw the full build is about the same weight as my sl4 build. Slightly heavier wheels (50g) but rest of spec identical. A bit disappointed

Full build 6.9kg :(

by Weenie

kavitator

by kavitator

orange wrote:My 58 ultralight comes in at 879g !!!

(Including gear hanger)

Is this weight with installed BB bearings?

orange

by orange

kavitator wrote:

(Including gear hanger)

Is this weight with installed BB bearings?

Nope -bearings and circlips with plastic sleeve are an additional 52g

shivatron

by shivatron

Somewhat tangential, but those of you running 24mm spindle cranks (Shimano, etc.): what BB solution are you using? Wheels Mfg delrin adapters? Praxis conversion BB? Something else?

stevod

by stevod

Swannie wrote:
Thats more than my non UL, wich was 820g in 54 :lol:

Which paint job?

Swannie

by Swannie

stevod wrote:
Swannie wrote:

Which paint job?

Same colour as UL.

stevod

by stevod

Swannie wrote:
stevod wrote:
Swannie wrote:

Which paint job?

Same colour as UL.

Thanks - that's the colour I was considering, so was wondering whether to UL or not.

It seems very odd that the UL is not so UL after all.

orange

by orange

stevod wrote:
Swannie wrote:
stevod wrote:
Swannie wrote:

Which paint job?

Same colour as UL.

Thanks - that's the colour I was considering, so was wondering whether to UL or not.

It seems very odd that the UL is not so UL after all.

anybody have the weight of a non-UL 58cm ?

eric01

by eric01

cyclespeed wrote:When I did my initial video appraisal of the SL6 a few months ago, I was a bit suspicious of the (suspiciously) low weights.

I still think it's impressive to have lopped off about 200g though AND gone more aero, but there was no need for all that 733g stuff.....

What? You watched a video of the frame — before it was released in the wild — and were suspicious of the claims based on the video?
AX Lightness Vial Evo, Carl Strong Titanium

L3X

by L3X

(Including gear hanger)

I would just return this, this doesn't meet any reasonable specifications.

This is on the Specialized website:
Specialized website
Weight

A 733g frame weight and 13.6lb complete bike weight (Ultralight Version, size 56cm) should say everything you need to know. As mentioned above, this ultra-low weight comes from the ability to co-optimize each of the Tarmac’s performance targets, so that reducing weight doesn’t negatively affect the frames handling or aerodynamic performance.

In general I'm so done with cycling industry being terrible with marketed vs. actual weights. Get your production process in order and be honest in your marketing already.

orange

by orange

L3X wrote:

(Including gear hanger)

I would just return this, this doesn't meet any reasonable specifications.

This is on the Specialized website:
Specialized website
Weight

A 733g frame weight and 13.6lb complete bike weight (Ultralight Version, size 56cm) should say everything you need to know. As mentioned above, this ultra-low weight comes from the ability to co-optimize each of the Tarmac’s performance targets, so that reducing weight doesn’t negatively affect the frames handling or aerodynamic performance.

In general I'm so done with cycling industry being terrible with marketed vs. actual weights. Get your production process in order and be honest in your marketing already.

totally agree - waiting to hear back from specialized to see what they say. It's not like they don't have scales at specialized HQ ?

just to be clear - that weight is for the frame NO BB or headset bearings - NO seatclamp . Includes derailleur hanger and titanium bottle cage screws (x4) - plus the weight of the plastic guide for the rear brake (sub 1g ?)

MRM

by MRM

If they should ever learn, it would only happen by people returning the frames. Otherwise they would default into the "no harm done" mindset.

orange

by orange

MRM wrote:If they should ever learn, it would only happen by people returning the frames. Otherwise they would default into the "no harm done" mindset.

strictly speaking, in the UK, it would be covered by the advertising standards authority

"Its role is to "regulate the content of advertisements, sales promotions and direct marketing in the UK" by investigating "complaints made about ads, sales promotions or direct marketing", and deciding whether such advertising complies with its advertising standards codes. These codes stipulate that "before distributing or submitting a marketing communication for publication, marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims, whether direct or implied, that are capable of objective substantiation" and that "no marketing communication should mislead, or be likely to mislead, by inaccuracy, ambiguity, exaggeration, omission or otherwise".

seems to cover it just fine.

MRM

by MRM

I wouldn't hold my breath. :wink:

by Weenie