Long Distance Bike Ritchey Road Logic 2.0 vs Colnago Master

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Im becoming very interested about TransContinental race http://www.transcontinental.cc/ which is more race against ur self, then race to others.

Its total hard core and everything based on reliability, self service/support, planing etc...

I was start thinking if i ever attend to this kind of race, what bike i will get, and come to two frames:

Colnago Master

Ritchey Road Logic 2.0

In this moment i have Colnago C60 50s (which is totaly comfortable to me), and probably i need something with similar geometry. (Colnago Master i guess have exactly the same geometry in size 54 trad, and Ritchey Logic is very similar in size 53)

So, which frame u'll choose for this kind of race/riding and why?

And does someone know what is the max tire sizes in term of clearance for both frames?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I find it interesting that you filtered down your choices to these two. Both of these bikes have road race geometry. Making them long and low. Not the best pick for a loooong endurance race. No place for racks and fenders. No room for fatter tires.

One of them is a workhorse steel race bike. The other one is a one of a kind masterpiece that costs more than most high-end carbon bikes. I would definitely not lock down the later one in eastern europe for a night.

I'd take a look for something like the specialized diverge. If you insist to go with steel, go for the specialized sequoia. Both have fender and rack mounts. Great gearing options, a few models with 1x drive trains and room for 42c tires. I'd skip the lowest specced models, but any mid-range model can cary you to the finish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

Not sure how this Transcontinental race works. But for fun I will assume its similar to randonneuring. Paris-Brest-Paris and all of the qualifying randonneur rides. Sort of self supported except you can have a support car meet you at check in towns during the ride. And you get food and drink and sleeping quarters at towns and checkpoints along the route. PBP is 750 miles, 1200 km. 90 hours maximum. No extreme speed is required. Just endurance and the ability, motivation to keep riding long after you are tired, hurt, in pain, sleepy, etc. and want to stop. Day, night, rain, cold, heat, etc. Doesn't matter. I'll assume your ride is similar. Maybe longer distances though. Kind of like RAAM in the USA.

I rode PBP and another 1200km event the year before. Used a Nashbar aluminum frame with Campagnolo parts and a Litespeed Tuscany with Campagnolo parts. Both fit perfectly. Both allowed me to ride for hours and hours and hours day and night. Neither was racy, quick, twitchy. Both were stable and went in a straight line with no input from me. I carried a large saddlebag with drink mixes and other gear I might need during the 150 miles between support car meetings. My gearing was lower road riding gearing. Had a 30x29 low gear on PBP but did not use it. Get a bike that fits well and goes straight.

AJS914

by AJS914

Rule #2 makes it sound like you cannot have a support vehicle meet you.

"2. 3rd party support is prohibited. All food, drink and equipment must be carried by the rider or acquired en-route."

Maybe someone could meet you for moral support, maybe they could help with logistics, lodging but they couldn't carry clothes, parts, or food.

3Pio, how is it supposed to work? Is there a route to follow, or is plotting the route part of the adventure? I'm curious how it all works.

3Pio

by 3Pio

AJS914 wrote:Rule #2 makes it sound like you cannot have a support vehicle meet you.

"2. 3rd party support is prohibited. All food, drink and equipment must be carried by the rider or acquired en-route."

Maybe someone could meet you for moral support, maybe they could help with logistics, lodging but they couldn't carry clothes, parts, or food.

3Pio, how is it supposed to work? Is there a route to follow, or is plotting the route part of the adventure? I'm curious how it all works.

There is start-destination, and control checkpoint between. But the details in the route are created by ur self. Also is forbiden to use illegal roads for the bikes (as i can see for this year there is problem about this riding Hungary, since there is so many roads forbiden for the bicycles.So yes, very important part is route planning, equipment planning , food, sleep. .Hard Core :) And is forbidden any help, support vehicles, etc... .Hard Core :)

BTW, i come to Ritchey Logic and Master, based on the bike i ride now which i feel very comfortable. SO i thought that maybe will be nice to plan the bike similar to the bike i ride all the time, but probably for this kind of riding is needed more endurance geometry frame. Steel is perfect, because of robustness and comfort, and in the case of falling down, bigger change to dont have problems (with carbon bike, big chance to be cracked).

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I just found some details. Last year the top 10 ended up riding more than 200 miles every day, for 12-13 days. With full equipment. That's level insane. At least for me. I'm pretty sure that there is nothing fun in a race like this, especially if you take it seriously.

I'd rather ride parts of this route with some support and enjoy it to the fullest.

kgt

by kgt

I would never use a Master for such a race. It is a pure road racing frame.

3Pio

by 3Pio

nemeseri wrote:I just found some details. Last year the top 10 ended up riding more than 200 miles every day, for 12-13 days. With full equipment. That's level insane. At least for me. I'm pretty sure that there is nothing fun in a race like this, especially if you take it seriously.

I'd rather ride parts of this route with some support and enjoy it to the fullest.

The fastest rider in 2016 finished the race in 08 days, 17h.

Fastest women finished 13 days, 10 hours

Fastest Pair finished 11 days, 19 hours

And i agree, this levels are totaly insane.

If i ever ride something like this, ill be satisfied to finish in 20-25 days, so to have some possability to enjoy as well..

Last season the max i rode in one ride was 252 km, once 192 km, and plenty of 120-150 km per ride. The max climbing i had in one day was 2800 meters.

This season i'll try to ride first 192 km ride, then 252, then 300, then 360km. If i can do it, then maybe i can do this race as well.If not, at least i'll know what is my max :) Im not saying that i will be part of all this, but must say that keep my attention.

I like this kind of things, because this is more determing ur limits, mental and physical, and race against ur self.

It's interesting what some riders who done this reported.After a while, their max Heart Rate was much lower then ussual. Like body going in some unknown modes to survive this :)

Marin

by Marin

It's a race against sleep mostly, which is what most of these ultra-long distance things turn into and which is why I became disinterested.

Pushing 120W after 3 hrs of "sleep" in a ditch is not my concept of fun, cos you don't get to enjoy the awesome riding you could have in the areas you're crossing. Also, having a contest of sleep deprivation makes for some nasty subtance abuse incentives.

Read some of the race reports, especially of the lower placings. Bad accidents happen when you don't sleep and ride for 200km on dangerous roads and you're too tired to check if the truck coming from behind has really seen you.

BTW, I ride a Road Rogic and it can fit 28mm tires. Nowadays these mostly come with 25mm printed on the side - I couldn't fit Conti GP4s 28s cos they measured 31mm. The road logic is a very racey bike, but if you can get you fit dialed in and carry your luggage bikepacking style, there's no reason why you can't ride it across a continent.
Last edited by Marin on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

3Pio

by 3Pio

kgt wrote:I would never use a Master for such a race. It is a pure road racing frame.

Probably u are right. I started to think about Master, because im used of geometry of my C60, which i can ride long distance without comfort problems. So im wondering is it the right way to go with the frame geometry which im used of it, or definetly some more comfort geometry.

And also wondering, if u had to do this.. What will be ur choice or ride (frame/wheels/equipment...)

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Yes, stimulants like Ritalin, Ephedrine etc must be commonsight there. This is no fun for me. Going for 10+ days on so little sleep

3Pio

by 3Pio

victorduraace wrote:Yes, stimulants like Ritalin, Ephedrine etc must be commonsight there. This is no fun for me. Going for 10+ days on so little sleep

U think it's not possible with regular vitamins/food/caffeine from coffee and all regular food? And for this kind of efforts they must use some doping additives?

Broady

by Broady

I know people who have done this and I'm pretty sure none were on Ritalin etc. Just lots of cheese and ham baguettes from service stations.

Marin

by Marin

Yea these really wake you up

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

Marin wrote:Yea these really wake you up

Specially if the ham is few days old.. Here is the rule as older as better for waking up :)