Long Distance Bike Ritchey Road Logic 2.0 vs Colnago Master

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

3Pio wrote:which i can ride long distance without comfort problems.
There's a massive distance between long distance, and multiple days of long distance.

You'd need something along the lines of a Genesis Croix De Fer, which is essentially a fast gravel/comfort road bike with braze ons for everything reasonable.

mattr

by mattr

3Pio wrote:It's interesting what some riders who done this reported.After a while, their max Heart Rate was much lower then ussual. Like body going in some unknown modes to survive this :)
:D It's called exhaustion. Not really an unknown mode!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

3Pio wrote:Last season the max i rode in one ride was 252 km, once 192 km, and plenty of 120-150 km per ride. The max climbing i had in one day was 2800 meters.

It's funny that you've never ridden a double century and you dream about the bike you would use in this race. Even riding just 100-130 miles every day with 15-20 kg extra weight is a crazy task (for me at least). It takes years of specific training and touring to prepare for a race like this.

You can go out for a long weekend and do a 190 km (120 mi) ride every day for 3 days. Mix in some load and rain just for fun. I guarantee that you will have second thoughts about this race.

3Pio

by 3Pio

nemeseri wrote:
3Pio wrote:Last season the max i rode in one ride was 252 km, once 192 km, and plenty of 120-150 km per ride. The max climbing i had in one day was 2800 meters.

It's funny that you've never ridden a double century and you dream about the bike you would use in this race. Even riding just 100-130 miles every day with 15-20 kg extra weight is a crazy task (for me at least). It takes years of specific training and touring to prepare for a race like this.

You can go out for a long weekend and do a 190 km (120 mi) ride every day for 3 days. Mix in some load and rain just for fun. I guarantee that you will have second thoughts about this race.

Dreaming move us further :), so not bad to dream :).. sometimes dreaming move our max limits much higher then we thought it was.. At least some riding targets for this season :)

And there is a friend who is attending this race this season. So we talk this days about equpment, routes, bike.... Part of my question is inspired by conversation we have this days with her..

victorduraace

by victorduraace

I meant the top finishers either are, or are used to very little sleep and lots of riding. Seems superhuman for most average cyclists.
Could be just me but most would fall asleep after 8-10hrs on a bike. Can't imagine riding double that for a week straight

3Pio wrote:
victorduraace wrote:Yes, stimulants like Ritalin, Ephedrine etc must be commonsight there. This is no fun for me. Going for 10+ days on so little sleep

U think it's not possible with regular vitamins/food/caffeine from coffee and all regular food? And for this kind of efforts they must use some doping additives?

3Pio

by 3Pio

victorduraace wrote:I meant the top finishers either are, or are used to very little sleep and lots of riding. Seems superhuman for most average cyclists.
Could be just me but most would fall asleep after 8-10hrs on a bike. Can't imagine riding double that for a week straight

3Pio wrote:
victorduraace wrote:Yes, stimulants like Ritalin, Ephedrine etc must be commonsight there. This is no fun for me. Going for 10+ days on so little sleep

U think it's not possible with regular vitamins/food/caffeine from coffee and all regular food? And for this kind of efforts they must use some doping additives?

For me sound impossible for the time the winners have (9-10 days, and really cant understund how they do without sleep). But if someone do this in 20-25 days, it's not that impossible, and still respectfull.

When i was younger, i had some long distance riding for 10-15 days, with a lot of luggage. But it was MTB riding (30% on road, 70% off road riding), and we was riding like average 100 km per day, and we were sleeping in the tends. I have few times this kind of riding (but also i was 15 years younger then now :) )

This days, after hard effort riding, the most important thing for me is to eat some proteins in the first 10-15 minutes after i finish the ride, and also to eat properly during the ride (im trying to get some food on every 2100 cal burned). If i do that, i feel very ok, and i can ride next day (and also need to sleep 7-8 hours). If i skip the food in that 15-30 minutes window period (after finishing the ride), i feel totaly screw up after, and need more time to recover...Also help me if i eat a lot of pasta before the ride :).
And another thing that make me big difference.. If i dont ride in my Max Heart Rate Zone, i can ride a lot.. But if i have some minutes above 170 BPM, then im fu*ed up, and need time for recovery.. Based on my age and formula 220-age, my max heart rate should be 179. But that's very average formula, since i noticed this season that my max in riding was 188 BPM (when the ride is more then 100 km, im trying to keep my Heart rate up to 170 bpm, or very short time above this).

Maybe all this is just in my head, but all this work for me :)

mattr

by mattr

They do sleep.
Maybe 3 or 4 90 minute power naps every 24 hours, or a 4-5 sleep in the middle of the night.
It's just a matter of practice and planning. All they'll do is eat, sleep and ride.

BTW. If you are using 220-age to calculate (guess) at MHR you'll probably need to do a lot more planning before you'll have the right limits for this sort of endurance riding.

3Pio

by 3Pio

mattr wrote:They do sleep.
Maybe 3 or 4 90 minute power naps every 24 hours, or a 4-5 sleep in the middle of the night.
It's just a matter of practice and planning. All they'll do is eat, sleep and ride.

BTW. If you are using 220-age to calculate (guess) at MHR you'll probably need to do a lot more planning before you'll have the right limits for this sort of endurance riding.

BTW, do u really think i use 220-age formula if im raising my pulse up to 188 bpm and im 41 year old? :)

The best test actually is to go and ride, and to listen ur own body.. (at the end of the season, i just wanted to check my fitness so i done some sport medicine examination. So they also determined my max heart rate...)

And also for this kind of races, i think the more important is mentall power and motivation, then everything else...That why i have respect for the people who do something like this..

Very interesting analysis:

http://jamesmarkhayden.uk/transcontinen ... ntinental/

victorduraace

by victorduraace

For me sound impossible for the time the winners have (9-10 days, and really cant understund how they do without sleep). But if someone do this in 20-25 days, it's not that impossible, and still respectfull.

Exacly what I meant

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Josh Ibbett TCR bike/equipment check

Last year I had a sleeping bag, an air mat and a bivouac, but there’s no point. You get so tired you’ll sleep anywhere, so I have a bivvy bag with a silk liner. I’ll get in wearing my clothes.
The warmest sleeping position is on your back with your arms crossed across your chest.
Cycling shoes make an amazing pillow. They stay outside the bivvy bag to shield you from the smell.

http://road.cc/content/news/158492-tran ... -equipment

mattr

by mattr

3Pio wrote:BTW, do u really think i use 220-age formula if im raising my pulse up to 188 bpm and im 41 year old? :)
You brought it up!

AJS914

by AJS914

This ride sounds utterly horrible! :D

The longest I've ridden in one day is 120 miles (200km). It's just not my thing but doing it day after day and sleeping on the ground is really really not my thing.

From looking at that link, it looks like 3Pio needs to reevaluate the bike strategy. Looks like you need aero bars and a fit that works with it.

CarlosFerreiro wrote:Josh Ibbett TCR bike/equipment check

Last year I had a sleeping bag, an air mat and a bivouac, but there’s no point. You get so tired you’ll sleep anywhere, so I have a bivvy bag with a silk liner. I’ll get in wearing my clothes.
The warmest sleeping position is on your back with your arms crossed across your chest.
Cycling shoes make an amazing pillow. They stay outside the bivvy bag to shield you from the smell.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Racing to win the TCR is certainly a ITT balanced with how little non-moving time can you survive on.
But as has been said, you could ride it to push your own levels - difficulty there now for TCR is maybe getting a start place, but still good as a starting point for your own general long/fast/ultra-light touring challenge.

AJS914

by AJS914

It seems like if you aren't racing, one could challenge themselves in many more pleasurable ways on a bike. Personally, I'd rather do a supported ride around Italy and end the day with a beautiful meal, a glass of wine, and a comfortable bed but that is me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

victorduraace wrote:Could be just me but most would fall asleep after 8-10hrs on a bike.

No, no, no. Its very easy to ride 24+ hours straight on a bike. I did it three times training for and riding PBP ten years ago. An average, good rider can easily ride 600 kilometers in a 24+ hour period. Get a good night sleep and shower and then you are ready for 200+ miles the following day. Or more. With correct, good training, this kind of exertion is not harmful or damaging for a short period. 3-4-5 days or a little longer.

The most important part of long distance cycling is diet. Or the ability of your body to eat and drink and exercise at the same time. Figuring out what to eat and how during a ride is key. Your digestion works differently when exercising non stop. Bike fit and sleep are important too. But hopefully you start with a good fitting bike, saddle, shorts, shoes. Training, preparing should fix that. Sleep can be fixed by just sleeping. 3-4 hour sleep will recharge you 100%. That really is enough per day for a week or maybe month straight. You DO NOT have to make up all the lost sleep. Lets say you need 8 hours of sleep per day. And you go for 4 days with just 3 hours of sleep. You do not have to sleep for 20 straight hours to make up the missed sleep. No.