Link cable housing and internal full length runs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I need to lose a little bit of weight on my new build and am considering jagwire elite linked housing. My question is how are you guys installing them on bikes with full length cable runs that run inside of the frame but without cable stops? The frame in question is a specialized Allez sprint where the rear brake uses full length housing through the top tube so there are no cable stops with which to stop the linked outer housing and continue with bare wire like you see on most internally routed frames.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

You could save *much* more weight by staying with regular housing and adding cable stops.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I have to check again but I don't think the Jagwire kit comes with enough extra links to run full housing. The liners should be long enough though that depends on the size of your frame. Another thing to consider is that full internal runs of alloy links bouncing around could be noisy.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I definitely do not want aluminum links in the frame. I also cannot add cable stops to the frame.... short of breaking out the welder and modifying the frame. Specifically I am asking if any one has done the installation similar to how they have traditional housing under the bar tape which then transitions to the linked housing. Has anyone done traditional housing under bar tape, then transitioned to links to where it meets the frame, then transitioned again to traditional housing in the frame, then transitioned back to links again upon exiting the frame. I'm sure this can be done in this way but I am afraid of the rear brake feeling mushy with so many transitions in which case it would not be beneficial to run linked housing.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Marin wrote:You could save *much* more weight by staying with regular housing and adding cable stops.

You could save *much much* more weight by using Elite Links and adding cable stops. :wink:

On a serious note, I'm not sure it's actually a good idea to add cable stops to a frame that hasn't been designed for them unless it's done professionally especially when braking is involved.

There are quite a few extra links included and if you had the derailleur set as well you may have enough for a full run.
If there's access to the top tube you may be able to use the included silicone frame protectors or o-rings to prevent cable noise.
Last edited by 5 8 5 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

There are two adaptors included that allow standard brake housing to join the links. There meant to be used on the front and rear brake under handlebar tape. You could potentially use them for the rear and use links to the levers.

Personally, I'd use the links through the top tube to improve the braking.

aarw

by aarw

I just installed the Jagwire Elite link gear and brake kit on a CAAD12 this week for a friend. You certainly don't get enough links to run full length, although pretty sure the liner is long enough.
The kit does come with a few adapters where you could join either standard housing or additional links (not included) for the full length inside a frame.

tadrums

by tadrums

I run the I-links from levers to frame and use Campy housing inside the the frame. Same at rear to caliper. I put end caps on the Campy housing that the I-link mates with. I then use a short (1cm)section of clear or black heat shrink tube at the transition "joints" to keep things aligned/connected. Looks factory and no drag.

SpecializedColnago wrote:I need to lose a little bit of weight on my new build and am considering jagwire elite linked housing. My question is how are you guys installing them on bikes with full length cable runs that run inside of the frame but without cable stops? The frame in question is a specialized Allez sprint where the rear brake uses full length housing through the top tube so there are no cable stops with which to stop the linked outer housing and continue with bare wire like you see on most internally routed frames.
TA

reknop

by reknop

aarw wrote:I just installed the Jagwire Elite link gear and brake kit on a CAAD12 this week for a friend. You certainly don't get enough links to run full length, although pretty sure the liner is long enough.
The kit does come with a few adapters where you could join either standard housing or additional links (not included) for the full length inside a frame.

Brake and gear cables run internally through my Canyon Ultimate CF SLX (2014 model). I will try to run the inner-liner completely through the frame and just cut-off the liner at the derailleur or brake connection points.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com