Troubleshooting headset/crown OLTRE XR4

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stang1

by stang1

Hi All,

Recently I managed to get a hold of a XR4 as a gift and boy, the build is nice.

Unfortunately I am having issue with trouble shooting the headset problem. The headset/crown itself is not sitting flush, and it is the stock headset/crown that came with the bike frame. Nothing has been changed as of now other than the group set components. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

So far :

1) I have asked a mate at TDU to ask the limited english speaking mechanics. They have provided a quick solution ; " A special headset from FSA " but unable to elaborate anymore other than to ring distributor in AUS. They are unable to sell/supply one as well so thats a bummer.

2) I have thrawled the webs and it appears that it may be paint scheme specific, the other colours seem to have a nice finish/flush of the crown and fork but not for my matte/celeste frame. Although there is this minority of my paint scheme that has it flush.

3) The Headset/Crown itself has been installed correctly and checked over by 2-3 different shops but everyone intially thought it was the crown not sitting right. The bianchi headset as per internet specs, comes with FSA 33 (44E) Headset.

Should I try an Alternative Headset/Crown bearing ? My main concern is washing the bike and water getting into the bearings.
Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Attached are pictures.

1) My Bianchi Headset / Crown issue

2) Bianchi XR4 for SHIMANO GROUPSET DEMO @ TDU

3) Bianchi Oltre XR4 at TDU

4) Bianchi Oltre XR4 pics from the net.

Shrike

by Shrike

Did you try Bianchi or are you afraid of their spectacularly shite after-sales service :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stang1

by stang1

Shrike wrote:Did you try Bianchi or are you afraid of their spectacularly shite after-sales service :D

Ive sent an email off. And am waiting. Patiently.

mattr

by mattr

It won't make any appreciable difference to water in the bearings.

Unless they are spectacularly poor bearings (completely unsealed, and fitted dry).

It just looks carp.

ku_hi

by ku_hi

stang1 wrote:
Shrike wrote:Did you try Bianchi or are you afraid of their spectacularly shite after-sales service :D

Dont expect to hear them soon.
I am in process of warranty with Bianchi for my cracked Infinito CV frame and shortest story is - nightmare.
Good luck.
You only live twice

Shrike

by Shrike

ku_hi wrote:
stang1 wrote:

Dont expect to hear them soon.
I am in process of warranty with Bianchi for my cracked Infinito CV frame and shortest story is - nightmare.
Good luck.

Bianchi warranty = try to sell you a new frame at retail price :lol:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Retrieve bottom bearing and measure its height if the dimensions are not given on the bearing itself. Buy a bearing that is 1 or 2mm shallower depth and try.

And likewise, bearing collets, ie. the bit on top of the crown, also come in different depths.

stang1

by stang1

Valbrona wrote:Retrieve bottom bearing and measure its height if the dimensions are not given on the bearing itself. Buy a bearing that is 1 or 2mm shallower depth and try.

And likewise, bearing collets, ie. the bit on top of the crown, also come in different depths.

I am in the process of doing that, finding a shallower depth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ronczar

by ronczar

This is the model that is on my XR4

FSA
SL BEARING ACB 45°X45° MR082R FOR 1"1/4 STEERER

http://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/sl-bearing-acb-45-x45-mr082r-for-1-1-4-steerer