Schmolke TLO 45 Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

singlepush

by singlepush

Hi there,
Has anyone ridden the new Schmolke TLO (or SL) 45 clinchers? Thanks!

liketoride

by liketoride

I got them on the third from fairwheel. I like them a bunch, only road tubulars before but these wheels where light enough so I made the switch. I did not put them on the scale but I am happy with them.
Last edited by liketoride on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

how is the braking. what type of brake pad r u using? stiffness/compliancy?

pics/weights bro
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I just got mine last week but have been stuck waiting on parts for a build so I haven't been able to ride them. I was told that you can run any carbon specific pad, I was going to run Enves but I'm giving the Black Princes another shot even though I was unsatisfied with their braking performance on some other carbon wheels. My set of TLOs with Carbon Ti hubs weighed in at 1241g bare, 1256g with a layer of rim tape.

liketoride

by liketoride

they are stiff. i am 96kg and feel they are more than enough. on my tubulars i would always ride 23mm tires and moving up to 25mm tires made the ride so much better. I used Reynolds blue pads but i was told any carbon pad will work. i havent been in the rain but dry braking is just okay with the blue pads. i am going to make a change on pads to see what it is like. i always felt the blue pads were the best with my ax lightness wheels.

island

by island

@liketoride - what spoke drilling did you get? I'm about 90kg and the SL45 clinchers are on my list, but I wasn't sure if they are suitable for 'the heavier rider'. Tune hubs?

liketoride

by liketoride

I got the 20/24 spoke count on carbon-ti hubs and I asked them for the strongest spokes but I don't recall which ones they said they put in. I broke the carbon flange on tune 150's so I don't think you should go down that path. I really like the carbon-ti hubs so much so that I changed all my wheel sets to them.

liketoride

by liketoride

Also I was told by fairwheel that the sl was only 22 grams more than the slo, just an FYI

singlepush

by singlepush

I ordered a pr of the Schmolke TLO 45 Clinchers with Tune Mig45/Mag150's and the Sapim Super CX spokes from Star bikes-now the long wait while they travel to the US...

ChengHaoChang

by ChengHaoChang

singlepush wrote:I ordered a pr of the Schmolke TLO 45 Clinchers with Tune Mig45/Mag150's and the Sapim Super CX spokes from Star bikes-now the long wait while they travel to the US...

Me too, I already ordered Schmolke TLO 45 tubular with Tune Mig45/Mag150's and the Sapim Super CX spokes from Star bike on last end of Nov., but still not confirm the delivery schedule,,,,, :cry: :cry: :cry:

KC

by KC

Does anybody know what size replacement bearings fit in the Carbon TI hubs? 6802? 6903?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I know the manuals are posted on the carbon-ti website because I looked a few months back for a friend and they listed bearing sizes.

singlepush

by singlepush

I have been riding the 45 TLO clincher tubeless (Schwalbe pro one 25mm) for about a month now and here are a few thoughts...
Super stiff-I tried 23's and went immediately to 25's. Can feel the stiffness when climbing-especially standing climbing-no brake rub and instant acceleration. They "feel" faster than my Enve 3.4's and "seem" to hold speed better. Grey Enve pads worked wayyyy better that yellow swiss pads.
get looking wheels and for sure superlight. Now the bad news...
Incredibly difficult to set-up tubeless (I have a bunch of experience setting up road, gravel and mountain bike wheels tubeless) and have a compressor. These wheels took several attempts and I finally had to add a layer of gorilla tape to the top of the Stan's (where I was using the tire levers to get the tire over the rim) because the force of getting the tires over the rims kept cutting the Stan's tape causing the air to come out at the valve. Then once I got it all taken care of a few rides in I hit a pothole (not very big) and put the back wheel out of true soooo... because the nipples are hidden I had to go the whole process again. Now they are riding awesome!!

Beaver

by Beaver

liketoride wrote:Also I was told by fairwheel that the sl was only 22 grams more than the slo, just an FYI

r2-bike measured 420g for TLO and 413g for SL: :noidea:

https://r2-bike.com/SCHMOLKE-Rim-28-Roa ... n-Clincher
https://r2-bike.com/SCHMOLKE-Rim-28-Roa ... n-Clincher

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

These are too heavy for the price!