Powertap Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

greerso2004

by greerso2004

Hi Guy's

I'm in a bit of a pickle! I have a 2.4 pro powertap which I've had for around 5 years without any problems. Of late it was running slightly untrue and the bearings were starting to show signs of wear and tear, so I took it to the local wheel builder who I have used before without fault. The wheel was completely respoked and is running true, however after having the bearings replaced, I'm getting no power reading on my Garmin 500.

The Garmin is picking up and calibrating but once I apply pressure to the pedals there is no reading of current power, it only shows two dashes. The LWB was wondering if the magnet on the axle needed to be positioned in a particular way. I'm a bit lost, I've googled but found nothing to help out. Has anyone had any experience such as mine and could offer some advice?

Regards
Mark

GambadiLegno

by GambadiLegno

Hi Mark,

I've had a Powertap hub too. In my case it started to show no power at all, or not being detected by Garmin. First time, it was because of batteries, I suppose you've checked them. Second time, I put new batteries and the problem continued. I couldn't find any solution, a friend of mine told me about electronical issues. As I had to pay a lot for it to be repaired (guarantee period was finished), I decided to buy another PM.

The best way is to contact Powertap, and see what solutions they give you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Your lucky you got that many years out of the Powertap. You could send the wheel to them and get it repaired. Yes, they will replace the bearings as standard procedure. You'll get it back working.

I would buy something else since I had zero luck with Powertap and will never go back.

kervelo

by kervelo

According to this article the PT hub must be recalibrated after replacing the bearings.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Hub_How- ... _3486.html

greerso2004

by greerso2004

Guy's, thanks for all your responses. I got the problem rectified. When the axle popped out the tube which fits over the axle with the magnet on it came slipped off. When it was being reassembled by the LWB he placed the magnet towards the electronics which to me does appear logical. The magnet should be positioned towards the drive side. Sorted and the calibration appears okay.

Thanks
Mark