Winter drivetrain cleaning

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GambadiLegno

by GambadiLegno

Where I live we have wet winter months. I don't usually ride while raining, but sometimes it starts to rain while you are out or the road is not dry enough from previous days.

What I do is place on a stand my bike, remove wheels and clean them individually, clean the cog with a hard brush and degreaser, and then with a rag. Then I do the same with the chain, finishing with water and drying it. It's important to clean with a brush the inner part of the chain.

After that, I keep the bike on the stand until next day and apply lube before riding. In my case I have Sram Red (well, now it's a mix of Red, Force, Apex and Rival :lol: )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Antoine

by Antoine

Every other ride I wipe the chain then apply used motor engine oil from my motorbike.

mattr

by mattr

GambadiLegno wrote:In my case I have Sram Red (well, now it's a mix of Red, Force, Apex and Rival :lol: )
Yeah, i had that issue. Training bike started off (in 2002 or 3) as a full 105 9 speed groupset. When the 9 speed finally died it was a mixture of 105 (crank, front hub, left shifter, most of a rear mech), Ultegra (right shifter, cassette, some of rear hub, bits of rear mech), dura ace (front mech, rest of rear mech, rest of rear hub) and some tiagra............... also mismatching rims. 36h front, 32h rear. For maximum head f**k.

Didn't actually buy any of the replacement parts, all came out of the spares/repairs bin.

gitsome

by gitsome

Thanks everyone, its looking like i have to find space in my tiny nyc apartment for a bike stand...and find a winter ride...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

mattr

by mattr

There are storage solutions around.

Usually bodged around ikea racking.
Have a google........

gitsome

by gitsome

Thanks.
The sluggishness of the derr pulleys also got me thinking of upgrading pulley wheels sometime...but i know thats another thread.

gtinut

by gtinut

pulleys are harder to spin while new but later have almost no drag. My mtb and cross bikes which see plenty of mud never had issues with pulleys not counting worn teeth.

gitsome

by gitsome

These are 10 sp record many years old and 10s thousands miles

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

gtinut wrote:try Nixfrixshun lube.
doesn't attract dirt

I will second this. It's great stuff and the best I have used in thirty years of lubricating bicycle chains.