Hello Weight Weenies,
I want to create a thread to showcase my latest project: to make carbon fiber shifter clamps for Sram Red Yaw shifters. There are carbon clamps made for shifters by companies such as tune, but these don't fit newer Sram shifters. Many may call this project "stupid" or "dangerous" (like my mother), but with the proper manufacturing and testing, these can be made completely safe. Before I start in on the design and manufacturing process, I want to discuss the facilities I am working in. My parents have allowed me the use of the back of their pole building and my dad's wood working equipment wich I have adapted for use with composites and metal. I have a jigsaw, dremel, dremel jig, a drill press and a and a vacuum sealer. I also want to point out that these machines are hooked to a dust collection system while in use. I also have a 3M mask and full face shield. Also, please don't try this at home. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible for any injury that may occur to one that attempts to copy the following.
To fit the shifter and bar, the clamp must be roughly the same size as the stock steel clamp. To get this shape I traced the inside of the stock clamp onto foam, and cut it out with the jigsaw. This piece of foam is essentially the mold.
I started with 3 pieces of carbon, each the same width of the piece of foam, and long enough to wrap around it twice. I added resin to these and wrapped them onto the foam. I don't have many pictures, as I had resin on my gloves and don;t want my phone covered in resin. I then stuck the pieces in bags for the vacuum sealer and sealed them up. After 7 hours I opened them up and used a drill bit to get the foam out of the center. Considering that I am terrible with the jigsaw, I had to heat the piece up with a heat gun and mold it to achieve the proper shape.
For version 1, I used the stock hardware. I began work on version 2 today, wich used a piece of aluminum molded into the front as a nut. I have to tap and drill this. I have some aluminum bolts on order from Toronto Cycles, wich will complete version 2.
Going into this, I thought that I would use version 1 and call it good, but I have become obsessed. I have already begun to think of ideas for version 3 and beyond. I have enlisted the help of a friend for testing and building. I have no plans to sell these, especially not the ones I am making now. The first version that will even go on bike will be version 3. Versions 1&2 have held up to "lab" testing (clamped to an old pair of bars in the vise), but the open road is a frightening thought. I plan
to update this thread with my current findings, but I may divert some of my time to bottle cage building.